Author Topic: AK Interactive DVD "Weathering German Ships"  (Read 6127 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
AK Interactive DVD "Weathering German Ships"
« on: 05 Jun , 2013, 17:00 »
Hi!
I just finished watching the AK interactive DVD "weathering German Ships" and I've enjoyed it so much that I think it deserves a few lines of appreciation.
The DVD covers the entire painting process -from priming to weathering- of a 1/350 scale german WWII battleship/cruiser (?Prinz Eugen) and the rendering of battle damage and other special effects on a destroyer..
The english narration is clear and easy to understand and subtitles are available in english, spanish and polish.
The DVD opens with some original b/w combat/propaganda footage of german warships and then the painting process unfolds.
The main chapters:
1) Preparing our model
2) Basic painting and decks
3) Painting the hull
4) Dirt & rust
5) Advanced techniques: chipping (i particularly liked this chapter and the tutorial on how to use AK's product called "Worn Effects" at its best)
6) Advanced techniques: special effects (metal effects, oil patches and fire/battle damage)

Each painting step is shown in hi-res, clear footage with close-ups of the painting action and pop-ups of the paints used in the various steps (mainly AK products, vallejo and lifecolor acrylics, oils)
Fire damage was inspired by colour pics of british ships actually damaged during the Falklands war and it's amazingly rendered. Looking at the completed and apparently impossible-to-achieve effect and then analyzing the process behind it is just fantastic.
Sometimes the weathering effect achieved looks too overdone but i think the purpose of the DVD is to show the potential of the technique, leaving to the single modeller the choice of weathering degree desired.
Most of these techniques come from tank modelling but it's incredible to see how well they have been adapted to ship modelling and to the smaller scale.   
What struck me most was the apparent simplicity and velocity of the entire painting process. Fran Romero and Mig Jimenez are absolutely top notch modellers and it's a real pleasure to see them in action!
I am sure many of you, even the most skilled modeller in the forum, will enjoy this DVD.
Highly recommended.
Cheers!
SG   

« Last Edit: 17 Oct , 2015, 08:40 by SG »

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
Re: AK Interactive DVD "Weathering German Ships"
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun , 2013, 02:28 »
I have it. And you're absolutely right, it is "Highly recommended."

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun , 2013, 01:55 »
Sounds interesting. Paint is my weakest link, patly because I take so long to finish a model!

Links? Price?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun , 2013, 14:23 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun , 2013, 00:06 »
Excellent, thank you!

Offline Roel

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan , 2016, 16:15 »
AK interactive also has an app for Iphone/android/Ipad, which allows you to download the contents of the DVD for a lower price!
$1,99 for each part and it contains three parts!
You do not get the DVD, but you get the content:)
AK interactive also has some nice free tutorials on their website

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan , 2016, 04:08 »
cool!