Author Topic: Good afordable airbrush sugestions.  (Read 4840 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Good afordable airbrush sugestions.
« on: 28 Jan , 2013, 09:37 »
What is a good airbrush that is affordably priced?
Should i consider buying used equipment?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Good afordable airbrush sugestions.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb , 2013, 17:17 »
I bought an old single action Paasche. I was lucky, it was hardly used (I think the former owner was a little old lady who only used it every other Sunday for one color...). IT's still working fine and looks brand new. But I was lucky.

Last year Ii bought a Chinese knockoff because it was a cool design and cheap. I have never used it. I will, and indicators and reviews are good it's a mini pistol style and I can't think of the brand).

I'd buy a new Paasche or Badger. I like single-action, but here are a pro's thoughts:

http://www.airbrushguru.com/choosing-the-right-airbrush.html

I'd also get a full sized garage/shop air compressor. You'll have to mate the big fitting to the tiny airbrush hose fitting, but you'll pay about US $100 to 150 for a big 2.5 hp 5 gallon (21 liter) tank, or the same or MORE for a small hobby compressor. I'd go the big because then you can use it for so much more. you wnat a misture rap and a regulator valve.

Good luck!

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb , 2013, 15:20 »
Thank You for the help.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr , 2013, 21:43 »
I was using my porter cable oiless nailing compressor and the noise was just unbearable inside, even if i only had to turn it on once.
 I ended up going with this Kit from TCPGlobal
it was $119 and they shipped it over night without added cost.
It is Very quiet.

The airbrush came with 3 needles a .2, .3 and .5 also included was a quick disconnect.
The airbrush quality itself is "so so" average.
I did notice that the airflow does not change as much as it should with a dual action brush in other words it seems to be full on or full off.
 Possibly i need to adjust it something.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr , 2013, 02:16 »
looks good! the KEY to all this? airbrush-airbrush-airbrush! (practice-practice-practice)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr , 2013, 02:17 »
ahh, air adjustment - it should be very noticable. Experiment. You should have a moisture trap. Nice on quick discnnect

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr , 2014, 19:51 »
Well I'm nothing but a true beginner with air brushes. That said I own a few of them. Several from harbor freight and they really have worked well enough for my small usage. I also own a couple of Paasche air brushes and they also have worked well in my limited usage. A while back I bought a combo setup up from Model Expo that had a air brush and a very small compressor and spray booth at a great sale price. So great had to wait a while due to back orders. When my son was down and we went back to working on the Gato sub we have been building we gave everything a try. Well I was very impressed with everything. I normally use a pancake compressor to power my nail guns etc and use a regulator on it for my airbrush use. Well this little, almost fit in my hand, air compressor with a water filter in line did everything that we needed it for.
So again I would say for me a true beginner, I have not found the one that I like best yet. I do seem to like the top feed better than a bottom pick up so far. Still need to use them more and find out what I like the best.
So if I did not have an air brush I would look at what model expo has to offer and if I had a harbor freight in the area I would buy their air brush (under $15, I believe) and just jump right in and give it a try. For myself I like the finish that an air brush gives and for sure will keep trying to use an air brush (any of them) before I pick up a brush again. For larger areas, not detail that is.
There I'm sure that made everything clear as mud..
Good Luck.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr , 2014, 19:56 »
Guess another thing I should have added is that a small pancake air compressor from harbor freight on sale is normally around $40.00 add water trap and regulator is going to cost you around $25.00 more. Normally you are going to use the air compressor for something else also. Add the air brush around $15.00. Total around $80.00 and you are off and running. Ok add paint and paint thinner but you normally have that anyway.
Main thing is to give it a try. Good Luck!

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr , 2014, 07:27 »
Well just got one of those email things from Model Expo and found the air brush and mini compressor on sale. Here is the link.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=HS08AC-SK

Code ""AP18"" to get sale price of $59.99 normally $69.99. When my son and I used it the other day it worked great for us. If I get a chance today or tomorrow I'll try it out again on some Gato parts.

Happy Easter.  --  Wait spray paint some eggs  --  that's the ticket, I'll tell the wife I'm not playing around I'm really making some nice Easter Eggs. Might try that. If it ends up looking like an Egg Zep?? (see another thread on Egg Zeps)

Later Tim