Author Topic: U-995 Mission accomplished  (Read 126709 times)

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Re: U-995
« Reply #300 on: 28 Feb , 2011, 10:15 »
Just one word: AMAZING!
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #301 on: 02 Mar , 2011, 09:10 »
Thank you Conus  ;)

The props are done; i painted the props with Alclad, and after that i added marine growth/fouling with a piece of sponge dipped in several colours of paint.

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #302 on: 03 Mar , 2011, 04:19 »
brilliant! I bought metal, reshaped, acid and bleached and salt watered, but I think it would have been easier to use your brilliant technique, which i plan to do on the Gato. Beautiful!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Enigma

« Reply #303 on: 03 Mar , 2011, 21:37 »
I have to agree as well... there's no way I'd pay for brass props on my model if you can get results like these!

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #304 on: 04 Mar , 2011, 08:15 »
Thanks guys!

I added zinc anodes, i made them from pieces of PE brass plate.
The props are also glued on, and i applied some marine growth on the rudders and struts.

Karel

bracco_n

« Reply #305 on: 04 Mar , 2011, 11:48 »
You never stop amazing me Karel, that seaweed effect is awesome!

Enigma

« Reply #306 on: 04 Mar , 2011, 12:00 »
I think once you're done with U-995 you should build the Laboe Naval Memorial, just to show them what condition she *should* be in ;D

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #307 on: 05 Mar , 2011, 18:55 »
I have been busy working on the deck railings.

I replaced most of the railings with 0.5 brass wire, which is better scale thickness.

I also made 4 turnbuckles which were used to tighten the cables between the railings.

For the turnbuckles i used brass tube from Albion Alloys with an outer diameter of 0.8mm, and an inner diameter of 0.4mm, and made four tubes of 5mm length.

I stripped a electrocable to aqquire 0.07mm wire to make the eyebolts, and soldered the wire into the tubes.

Find the turnbuckle.... :D

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #308 on: 06 Mar , 2011, 04:39 »
VERY impressive...but you could have used the (AMP) UBrass fro WEM... ;D
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #309 on: 06 Mar , 2011, 08:19 »
you could have used the (AMP) UBrass fro WEM... ;D

That`s too easy... :D

I finished the railings and fixed the cables between them, didn`t like the job...

Karel

bracco_n

« Reply #310 on: 06 Mar , 2011, 13:12 »
How did you make the cables Karel?

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #311 on: 07 Mar , 2011, 07:16 »
How did you make the cables Karel?

I made these from braided fishing wire, 0.12mm thickness, made from dyneema.

Karel

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #312 on: 07 Mar , 2011, 07:23 »
Finished the life saving buoy`s

I made new rods/pipes, which are mounted on the fore and afterdeck.
(Does anyone knows the purpose of these parts?)

The Revell parts were bend, so i made new ones from brass, and combined them with the Eduard PE clamps.

The Revell parts..

I also soldered new antenna wire tripods from brass wire with a more accurate scale thickness

Karel

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #313 on: 08 Mar , 2011, 14:23 »
I have been working on the periscope and other small things such as the UZO and the hatch in the CT.

The wires on the scope were made from 0.07mm copperwire.

I also made the PE `naxos` antenna

The periscope was kept in a good working order by greasing it sometimes, i replicated this by adding black oilpaint on the scope, and wit a dry brush i wiped most of the paint of again only to leave some black streaks.
This is difficult to see on the pics, soon i will make some better pics in daylight.

Karel

« Last Edit: 08 Mar , 2011, 14:25 by FoxbaT »

Enigma

« Reply #314 on: 08 Mar , 2011, 17:36 »

I made new rods/pipes, which are mounted on the fore and afterdeck.
(Does anyone knows the purpose of these parts?)

I'd say they'd most certainly have to be gaffs. Any boat of appreciable size should have them. What are they and how are they used? Quite simple... take a hook (usually bent back through 180 degrees) and stick it on the end of a pole, their main use is to hook a line in the water so you can haul it on deck and use it. I've seen simple ones made by poor fishermen made from a bent spike and a length of 1x2" wood, the hook attached with either a tight lashing or using a few inches of ABS pipe to heat-shrink it together. Modern commercial ones for yachting are made from extruded aluminum to create telescopic tubes, allowing you to vary the length, and they also have their hook made out of plastic, featuring a point on the end so you can also use it to push the boat off the docks when mooring.

I'd imagine docking in the pens would be very simple for the u-boats since they were more-or-less custom designs for the fleet, but things would get tricky when you're on the ocean trying to raft up with a milk cow. Something with the size and weight of a u-boat would require some decently sized mooring lines or hawsers in order to safely hold her in place, which means that they're heavy and thus makes throwing a line difficult. For a heavy hawser it's very common to have a much thinner leader line tied on to the eye of the hawser - throwing a small line is way easier! Alas, we are all human, and sometimes rope throws fail. This is where the gaff shines - dip it in the water and hook the leader line.

The gaff from my kit would scale up to 9 feet (3m), a rather practical length to use - the type VIIs draw about 4.75m at a full surface trim, thus 1.5m freeboard, so a 3m gaff would be quite useful. Useful yet small, and easily lost overboard, hence why you always want to carry two.

Hope this helps!