Author Topic: U-995 Mission accomplished  (Read 126607 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: U-995
« Reply #75 on: 06 Oct , 2010, 06:22 »
Karel, you might not want to put in ALL of the screw/plugs in the deck.  It might look too busy if you did that, especially with them being a bit oversized.

The way that you have it now, with only a few rows of screw/plugs gives the proper impression.

The reason I say that is that in real life, there would be a screw/plug each time a plank crosses a beam or support under the deck.  Those beams are spaced about every 5 mm, (don't have my micrometer with me right now so the measurement is just an example) the same as the ribs. 

Every time a plank ends (butt joints or when it's interrupted by a hatch or other deck fitting) there would be two screw/plugs, side by side.  Butt joints were always staggered.  There were never two together with adjacent planks.

Planks were usually a maximum of 6 meters in length - or shorter if there was a hatch or other fitting in the way.

So if you put in every screw/plug, you will probably have a little more than 4 times the number of plugs you've already done and it might start looking too cluttered with the oversized pins.

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #76 on: 06 Oct , 2010, 06:51 »
You are right Pat, i forgot 4 plugs in the afterdeck, and after that its ok with me  ;)

Karel

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #77 on: 06 Oct , 2010, 22:53 »
I am stuck with another question.
The drip channels on the front and rear of the saddletanks on the U-995, are they historical correct or are they mounted later?
It`s difficult to found info on this subject, some boats do have them, and others don`t..

Karel

The drip channels and holes were added later to U-995 (at least after 13 Mar 1972). I believe no u-boat had drip channels and the holes.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #78 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 04:22 »
The trouble with U 995 is that she was hacked up post war, and then hacked up worse by the "museum"... BUT, I have a period pic that shows "drip channels" or at least something damn close:

The U 995 pic also shows great frame detail!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #79 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 04:27 »
Rokket, that is the same picture i saw, therefore i am still not sure wat to do....

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #80 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 04:29 »
Well, Life is usually gray and complicated...I would guess that there was some kind of "drip" channel in WWII, and that U 995 Modern added some kind of inaccurate "thing" in 1972...

From the photo, that is NOT a weld seam...so it's ...something
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #81 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 04:32 »
I`ve been busy today  :)

Glued the Eduard vents on the lower hull

The pods are mounted

And i corrected the faulty strips on the forward hull

I also scratched the thin `lip` at the underside of the anchor cove

The nails that were sanded away are replaced

Karel

« Last Edit: 07 Oct , 2010, 04:34 by FoxbaT »

LE BOSCO

« Reply #82 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 10:45 »
nice job karel !I am going to be ashamed to show my work now! ;) :D
best regards
Nicolas

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 15:05 »
Nice work Karel.  You're doing a great job.

Like so often happens when I come to this site, I find another detail to add to my build.

Does anybody know what those "drip channels" are?  For certain there's nothing to drip there since it's a part of the boat that's always under water.

And what's the purpose for the lip underneath the anchor well?

Seewolf

« Reply #84 on: 07 Oct , 2010, 19:18 »
Karel nice work... but I think the 3 water inlets, for the center dive tanks (don`t know how to name it in english), looked different. At least for the VIIc not 100% sure about the VIIc/41.
For the Satteltank the water inlet is correct from Eduard.

@Pat
regarding the "drip channels" ... I will go the way Jan did it with his U-711. But what is realy realy correct....I think that is one of the questions we will not find out so quick.

The purpose for the lip underneath the anchor well.... protecting of the material when the anchor is hoist up the last meter. The last meter stresses the material at the ege a lot  before the anchor is in position, easyer to change the lip if necessery than to repair plates and frames.

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 08 Oct , 2010, 02:24 »
Karel, what a nice work!!!  :o

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #86 on: 08 Oct , 2010, 03:13 »
Thanks everybody  ;)

@Seewolf, its so difficult to find detailed pics from the water inlets, for now i leave it as it is.
If i find more detailed pics i could try to correct them if needed.

In the meantime i added a missing strip that runs over the front lower flooding holes

Karel

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 08 Oct , 2010, 07:32 »
Thanks for the info on the lip under the anchor well Seewolf.  That makes sense, as they do a similar thing on many wooden tallships with a peice of sacrificial wood that can be easily replaced when damaged.

As for the 'drip channels', which can't possibly be for drips because of their location, I wonder if it might be a similar strengthening for the edge of the casing where it meets the PH.  They might not wanted to have the casing firmly attached to the PH because flexing during heavy weather and depth charging would just rip the relatively thin metal of the casing off at the edge anyway, so they curled the edge up a bit to strengthen it and left a small gap so it wouldn't make noise rubbing against the PH.

The 'drip' holes in this rolled edge would be to let water flow through freely to reduce the chance of rusting inside the rolled edge, and maybe to stop the buildup of air bubbles that could come out all of a sudden and give away a position.

No proof of that.  Just a guess since I can't think of what else that edge could be for.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #88 on: 08 Oct , 2010, 09:56 »
      Pat, Good thought on strenghtening that area with the "drip channel". The square holes above it ,though, I believe are only to allow moisture to weap out from the caseing on this display. You won't find them on U-boats that were in use. Another item found in other pics. on this boat are screens
over many of the ports. These are certainly just to keep birds and other "little creatures" from living
insde.
         Cheers/Regards Bill

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #89 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 03:56 »
Just glued the PE eduard deck parts on

I made some piping underneath the square hole in the aft deck

Karel