Author Topic: U-995 Mission accomplished  (Read 125528 times)

LE BOSCO

Re: U-995
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep , 2010, 10:17 »
HI Karel

Magnificent job that you made!!My arms is fall on the ground :o :o
bravo !
Nicolas

Offline Bad Karma

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep , 2010, 12:49 »
hi Karel,

Welcome to AMP my friend,glad to have you here.

Like others says,good job,keep us updated.

my best regards,

Ron.

________
Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: curiosity.

Jim Morrison

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep , 2010, 16:41 »
Good job on the boat, but the bike is out of this planet!
I love it!
That reminds me i have BMW with the sidecar in the same scale waiting for its turn- i have one wheel completed with set of metal spokes so far. ;D

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep , 2010, 21:20 »
Thanks everbody for the compliments, always a good motivation  ;)

Siara; good to hear that there are more motorcycle builders on the forum, i also know what a difficult job it is to spoke a wheel....

Karel

« Last Edit: 16 Sep , 2010, 21:23 by FoxbaT »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep , 2010, 23:12 »
Beautiful work Karel.  And great photography too.  I wish I had the camera to be able to take such closeup pictures of my build.

Like the others, I especially like the way you did the pressure hull in your U-boat.  It looks very realistic as to the roughness expected of such thick underwater parts as compared to the oil-canning of the thinner casing built around it.

A couple of questions though.

I see that you split the deck right down the middle.  What was the reason for this? 

It doesn't apply to mine since I discarded almost the whole deck except for the bow and stern steel casing parts and replaced it with framing and wood planks, but I don't see how splitting it down the middle helps.

The other question is why did you cut away the casing above the saddle tanks?  You could have added the saddle tank surface inside the casing (nice job there too by the way) and the ribs without removing that casing part as far as I can see.  Not that it harms it, but I would have thought it would be easier to have kept it in place.

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep , 2010, 03:28 »
Hi Pat,

I cut away the casing above the saddle tanks for a practical reason: it was much easyer to open up the long sleeve beneath the casing, and it was easyer to glue, fill and sand the saddletank extensions without the casing being in the way.
Another reason is that i was able to thin the casing itself to scale thickness with a dremel, if the casing would be in its place it would be more difficult to do that.

To maintain the proper shape/curve of the casing above the saddle tanks while adding the ribs i taped the plastic deck halfs to the casing as a help.
The only part of the deck i still need for the build is the section with the schnorkel, wich i must cut out and fit under the wooden deck.
The whole plastic deck will be replaced by the Nautilus deck.

Karel
« Last Edit: 17 Sep , 2010, 03:46 by FoxbaT »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep , 2010, 20:53 »
Here are a few changes to the external parts of U-995

Whole new external bow from Frame +99.
Balcon Ger

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep , 2010, 00:41 »
Simon, thank you very much!

Karel

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep , 2010, 16:39 »
I am busy fitting the plastic Revell schnorkel housing underneath the wooden deck, so i am trying to find pictures of the housing.
On a picture of the U-995 i saw that the housing is open on the hull side.(see pic)
Is this accurate?, i understand the  U-995 deck is new, so i am not sure if i can take this picture as a reference?

Thanks,

Karel

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep , 2010, 18:15 »
Beautiful detail work - and excellent PE installation. Love it! The oil caning and surfacing are very nice touches.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep , 2010, 18:32 »
Karel,

First I would like to let you know you have an excellent build going on! ;D

My knowledge of the schnorkel is most limited at the moment.  However I have a couple of pictures that may or may not be of help.

Not sure if these next two are the unit in question.  They are on the opposite side, unless they had mounted the schnorkel on either side, or I could be WAY OFF BASE... :P

Enjoying the build, keep the pictures coming!

Cheers!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #26 on: 19 Sep , 2010, 01:00 »
If you see a U-boat with a schnorkel on the Starboard side, it is almost certain at Type IX. I believe all Type IX

LE BOSCO

« Reply #27 on: 19 Sep , 2010, 03:43 »
Hello foxbat

To have "to study" the subject !does not exist much as views or we can be certain is 100 % of the layout of the schnorkel housing !You can only interpret small pieces of photos!
As for example,On this photo have " see good " that it is rather empty

The photo comes from a site of report of air attacks,which is a good "source",As well as the sites of dive on the site of the op

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 19 Sep , 2010, 08:30 »
Many thanks Nicolas!

Karel

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 19 Sep , 2010, 08:37 »
Allright, i`ve been busy today...

I cut out the plastic schnorkel `bay` from the original Revell deck, and fitted it underneath the wooden deck.
Of course nothing fits the first time, so i had to saw, sand, file and testfit a lot before it was ok.
First thing to do was resize the ribs, because they were to large on this area.

Here`s a pic of the `bay` on its place underneath the deck

And the result of an afternoon work...

Next step is to make the support poles underneath the deck

Karel