Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 53056 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: My U-69
« Reply #75 on: 09 Oct , 2010, 19:55 »
TRM, yes, the whaler that I made by that method was over 100 pieces, somewhere around 150-160 if I remember correctly.  (I can't check it since that model is now in a museum a couple of hours away from here)  All the thwarts of course were separate pieces, as were their supports both above and below.  There were something like 20-25 planks for each side of the hull.  The keel, cutwater etc were all separte pieces too.  There was also a floor with its own ribs made out of about 25 pieces, and even the rudder and tiller were able to be disassembled or hung on pintle and gudgeons.  The whole boat was about 4 or maybe 5" long and hung off stern davits on a brig of war from 1813.

With your skill, I'm assuming the toilet paper rolls are temporary, just to get a base to create the final PH on?  If you're looking for plastic sheet stock, I've made the PH for my build out of plastic pop bottles (A&W root Beer has an about 5" section that's perfectly flat, but of course already curved in an almost correct circumference.  Just a little bit of work needed to get the correct shape and it glues well with cyanoacrylates.

Reuse and recycle.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #76 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 00:55 »
Beer cans! ;D
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

LE BOSCO

« Reply #77 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 03:55 »
When have can ally the pleasure and the pleasure :D
T
It is can be more practical with pastic card !Big project that this pressurized hull my friend !
good luck!
Nicolas

TRM

« Reply #78 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 08:21 »
Pat,  It is indeed a starting point.  I will be using  aluminum cans to finish.  Just not Beer cans...I know how much wink likes a good brew and would even buy it for him if he popped in...(LOL, somewhere around 10090 miles (16239 km) (8768 nautical miles) ) but I could never get into the taste.  More of a Vodka Man!  The polish in me I guess....As for the whaler, Pat, You have any pictures? I have some plans stored around for one of Shakelton's  shore boats. And have been toying around with staring it.....would be a while I guessing though.

Nicolas, il semble

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 19:37 »
Hmmmm, I'd never thought of using aluminum cans before (from beer or soup, I guess it doesn't matter), how dumb is that?  It makes sense a strong, easily workable but long lasting material.  And so easy to come by too!  (Kicks self in butt).

Sorry, no photos of the lifeboat.  It went into the museum more than 20 years ago, before digital cameras, and I haven't seen it since.  I only found out what museum it's in now about 4 years ago.  Even if I had taken pix, it would have been of the ship as a whole, since the small boat was just a small part of a much larger (about 1.4 meter) build.  The whole ship even had details down to cutlasses on racks over the gunports.  The cutlasses were made out of paper clips, pounded flat on an anvil and then ground into shape, with that knuckle guards made out of brass and the handles with turned wire on them.  There were about 34 matched swords.

The plans for the whaler were easy to come by.  It was a book about period ships, and had a whaler seen end to end with the forward lines one the stbd side and the after lines on the port side, and a lengthwise view as well.  I just photocopied them, then cut out the lines and doubled them over to glue onto the wood I used for the bulkheads.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct , 2010, 20:11 »
TRM, I'd forgot to mention about you not liking beer, and here you live in the home of what's arguably one of the best beers in the nation, if not the continent.  (And no guys, I agree that there are some pretty good ones in other countries, not trying to downgrade them)

Sam Adams

TRM

« Reply #81 on: 11 Oct , 2010, 07:24 »
LOL!  Arguably Pat, Sam is one of the best!.  Many a friend longs for the fall and winter months when they roll out their seasonal brews.  Alas, I will have to reside myself with the crispness of Водка! 8)

I have been to Ireland once, many moons ago, and their Guinness was pretty tasty! Completely different, not like here!  :D

Cheers my friend!

T   

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 11 Oct , 2010, 17:30 »
Sure, and wi' a name like Liam Patrick Craighdhlocha, ye can unnerstan' how I'd love to visit aulde Eire, and have me a pint o' Guinness right from the keg.  It's anoder one of me favourites!

Guinness here is actually under license by one of our own breweries, and I'm sure not the same as the original.  And one should only have the cans here, not the bottles.  BIG difference.  (Of course, the tap is even better.)

Slaint

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #83 on: 11 Oct , 2010, 20:24 »
                        Водка!... It's Russian, Pat.. An alphabet like none other.. A B is pronounced V,
                         H is N, N is I and it gets more confusing !!
                                                                    Bill  ( БИЛЛ )

« Last Edit: 11 Oct , 2010, 20:32 by billp51d »

TRM

« Reply #84 on: 12 Oct , 2010, 04:17 »
Ahh Pat, you would enjoy! One of my most favorite experiences! ;)

Bill, As if language wasn't difficult sometimes, add the Cyrillic alphabet! :P

Cheers to Both!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #85 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 02:12 »
Beautiful work TRM.  I think the Pressure Hull you are making will do just just fine.  This uboot will be a very nice work of art when you are complete building it.

Cheers,
Ernest

TRM

« Reply #86 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 06:25 »
Thank you Ernest!  Exciting project, over your garage!  Sounds like you will have a nice little "work den". 8)

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #87 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 15:48 »
A little continuation.....still some sanding left but checking the fit.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #88 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 20:08 »
nice p-hull
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

LE BOSCO

« Reply #89 on: 17 Oct , 2010, 05:40 »
Whaouuuuuuuuu!
A work of "madman"!! :D great job my friend !
what happen next ?
regards
Nicolas