AIR > LUFTWAFFE

Fw 190: Tribute to Gramp

<< < (2/11) > >>

Pat:

--- Quote from: TRM on 21 Aug , 2010, 15:19 ---
Two things before I get on to the build:   1 - It matters not what country they may come from, they were loved by someone and viewed as a hero by them and their country.  2 - Listen to as many stories while you can, because once they pass, the untold stories pass too.

--- End quote ---

That puts me in mind of something that my father told me many years ago.  He was a Lancaster / Halifax pilot and was shot down one night in Feb '44 and spent the rest of the war as a "guest of the German government", mostly in Stalag Luft III (when he wasn't escaping).

In the mid 70's, he went to an Air Force reunion in Winnipeg, and among the Canadian, American, British and other aircrew there were a msattering of German pilots too.  Dad struck up a conversation with the pilot of af an Me 110 night fighter, who it turned out was operational in the same area that Dad was shot down in and who shot down a couple of bombers the same night that Dad's plane went down.  Sinc ethere were 4 RAF planes downed that same night there, there was a 50% chance that this was the guy who shot Dad's plane down.

Dad's reply to that was "I'm so glad we both surbived the war intact.  Can I buy you a beer?"

No animosity.  They were both just doing a job protecting their countries.  Comrades in arms, even if on different sides.

Siara:
Good story Pat. Love stories like this.
TRM- are this photos from the "personal" album?
Ill join your shout for special place on this forum for such pictures. I for one am interested to see more shots like this.
I dodnt suppose theres any pictures of Bf109 E in that album?

TRM:
Pat, 

Great story yourself.  I have heard a couple of times way back of combatants becoming best of comrades.  Amazing, if you take the politics and the big business out of most of the wars, you probably (hopefully) end up with a bunch hanging out in a field drinking beers. ::)

Life will through some curves at you sometimes, it what you do when they reach the plate!

Siara,

Yes, these photos are from my Grandfather's photos.  No, I have not found and 109's...yet.  I spoke with my Aunt, she has an entire box that she mentioned letting me have as well.  I will work to get over there in the next week or so. Maybe something in there. :o  I hope.  I will keep you posted. 

Thought I would add a couple of gems I found...As for the build, I am still making sketches of diorama and plotting the base.

my step father's collection of "official photo" in the Pacific campaign

Family friends album, he served on the USS Boxer

Taken by my step father on Iwo Jima

Step father's pictures, Iwo Jima

Siara:

Love every single one of them.

TRM:
They are evocative!  I want to blow up the one of the guy laying in the blacks sands of Iwo Jima.  Could look at that one all night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version