AIR > LUFTWAFFE

Fw 190: Tribute to Gramp

(1/11) > >>

TRM:
Hello all,

A soldier in War

I begin my thread today as sort of a tribute to my Grandfather.  Sadly he passed away the beginning of this month.  Briefly, he was one of 13 brothers and sisters.  There were seven brothers, Six all fought in WWII and one in Korea along with the husbands of the sisters as well.  They ALL made it back.  Sometimes the stories of the war would flow and other times it seems like the burden of war was to great to express in words and tears would just flow.  Last month while talking with my Uncle Jimmy, a member of the 1st Army engineers that stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day, he began talking about the war.  I have learned when this generation is willing to talk, you let them go.  Well he talked for over an hour, with story after story.  At one point he began to cry, looking over at me and then saying "I'm sorry" (for crying)....I sternly looked at him and exclaimed,  " don't ever, apologize to me for crying...after what you all have seen and been through, an apology is never needed"! 

Great story about the brothers published in the local paper on Veteran's Day:  Brothers in Arms

Two things before I get on to the build:   1 - It matters not what country they may come from, they were loved by someone and viewed as a hero by them and their country.  2 - Listen to as many stories while you can, because once they pass, the untold stories pass too.

The Build:

While looking through some old photo (of my Grandfather)  I came across the 1st photo below.  And with a little investigation, the plane turns out to be, to what I am told, a FW 190 (F or G).  I love this picture!  And after seeing some great diorama builds here and more importantly, recent aircraft builds (Sierra) and on a couple of other site,  I have decided to give a Static Tribute an attempt. 

I will attempt to come close to recreating the photo.  I still have another box of photos to sort through.  There is actually 2 angles shot of this plane that I have found so far.  I walked down the aircraft isle today whilst picking up some brass rod, and it just jumped into my hands....at least that is what I will tell the wife when she asks, "ANOTHER MODEL!!!!!!". 

Most of the kit will most likely end up in the debris field around the plane as well as some "creative license" used in placement. I am really looking forward to this build as it will also make a nice break here and there from the U-69.  The kit is from Eduard and the scale is 1/48.  One hurtle that needs to be over come, will be making the 1/48 version of my grandfather....I have some time here.

As for the kit, Eduard Fw 190F-8, is 186mm long & the wing span is 210mm.  The kit has 325 parts, 2 photo etch sheets, 2 decal sheets.  for the money ($29 USD) Eduard certainly makes a nice kit.  I am tempted to make the kit OTB and not the mangled, dismembered wreck in the photo. ( Maybe if I sneak out later, they will have another one???).  A little bit a scratch and a lot of help along the way (YOU GUYS), I think I will get through it. ;D

Begin...                         p.s. - Someone really needs to explain how they embed the photos into the txt, I am sure it has something to do with the "insert image" button, just not sure how it goes yet.

Now I begin....

Siara:
Good subject, and nice story. Builds with good story behind, with unique foto reference are always special.
Can you post more fotos of this bird, or/and other planes that may still be in that magic box of yours?

billp51d:
          TRM ... Hats off to your Gramps and the rest of the famly. A well written post by yourself and an excellant article.
                           Bill

TRM:
Thank you Siara & Bill,

I have a few more I have scanned in.  I will post them here for now.  I would like to see a section created, solely to "personal Armament Photos" (maybe in the gallery).  This section could be broken down into the major categories:

Watercraft: Ships, subs, etc.
Areal Craft: Fighters, Bombers, etc.
Armor: Tanks, artillery, support vehicles, etc.
Personnel:?,?

These would be solely photos we have personally taken on these items, or even better, photo we have in our possession through family albums and such.  Nothing "off the net" per say, unless these are actually your photos.  I myself have a lot of interesting shots from my Grandfather, Step Father, Father, Father-in-Law & more.....

Food-for-thought.

Attached are a couple of other shots of the Fw 190, a British Avro Anson, what I am guessing is some sort of glider?

More to come..... 8)

Rokket:
As others have said, really good post, and really good link to builds (I think the choices are so important).

I hope it is a lovely build.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version