Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 112606 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #255 on: 29 Feb , 2020, 13:37 »
Natter, I just uploaded 50 photo's from Chicago of the G7es/T5. You welcome to download as many of them you want. I will keep them up on the link for few months for anyone to download them.
If you have any problem with the link or downloading let me know and will try to help out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57740585@N04/

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #256 on: 29 Feb , 2020, 19:17 »
Quote from: NZSnowman
If you click on them you should see the full view. Natter, you should be able to download them if you want them for your collection.
Interesting... Obviously a G7e - most likely a TIII.
 * Did you happen to see if it was painted, or is it just corrosion?
 * Did it have a head mounted?
 * Did you happen to see other torpedoes/-parts in this museum?

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #257 on: 29 Feb , 2020, 19:23 »
Natter, I just uploaded 50 photo's from Chicago of the G7es/T5. You welcome to download as many of them you want. I will keep them up on the link for few months for anyone to download them.
Very nice photos, I was able to download all. They show some details better than photos I have already (it seems like a mix of photos of the TV and the TIII though?).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #258 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 14:08 »
If you click on them you should see the full view. Natter, you should be able to download them if you want them for your collection.
Interesting... Obviously a G7e - most likely a TIII.
 * Did you happen to see if it was painted, or is it just corrosion?
 * Did it have a head mounted?
 * Did you happen to see other torpedoes/-parts in this museum?
* I believe it was very corrosion. I did not get a real long look at it because it was in a closed area and in very low light.
* Yes, I believe it had a practice head.
* I think there were other torpedoes/-parts in the same area. 3 or 4 in total I believe. Again I did not get a real look at them, if I remember correctly it was near dark, hidden deep under a staircase.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #259 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 14:23 »
Very nice photos, I was able to download all. They show some details better than photos I have already (it seems like a mix of photos of the TV and the TIII though?).
I don't want any overview of the torpedo there are heaps of them on the internet.

I found the serial numbers and metal marking fascinating. Do you know anything about the metal marking? It look like a star and wiggly line?

The other thing I found fascinating was the number of times they used rivets to fixed internal parts to the torpedo body. Because of the raw metal you can easy see the rivets and other metals used.

I also found some red paint on the fins, which is cool.

I am 99% sure they were all of the TV, as I am planning to continue adding detail to my 3D model of the TV. 

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #260 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 15:28 »
* I believe it was very corrosion. I did not get a real long look at it because it was in a closed area and in very low light.
Ok. I was a bit curious in regards to the possibility of it being a camo-painted TIIIb or c from a K-verband (not very likely of course ;-) ).

Thanks for the photo. That's an odd one that: Obviously a type 1215 exersice head, but it has some non-original features suggesting post-war modification (by Bundesmarine I guess).

* I think there were other torpedoes/-parts in the same area. 3 or 4 in total I believe. Again I did not get a real look at them, if I remember correctly it was near dark, hidden deep under a staircase.
Ok, thanks again. I hope I can get the opportunity to get there myself one day :-)  (PS: If you ever plan a new trip to Europe, consider cheking out Norway as well - we have probably the largest collection of german torpeoes at Herdla outside Bergen (no TV's though...), and I'd be happy to give a guided tour).

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #261 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 15:47 »
I found the serial numbers and metal marking fascinating. Do you know anything about the metal marking? It look like a star and wiggly line?
No, but I assume it's a quality-stamp (not a manufacturer-code). The number is the serial (stamped on the batterychamber, the aftsection and the tailpiece).

The other thing I found fascinating was the number of times they used rivets to fixed internal parts to the torpedo body. Because of the raw metal you can easy see the rivets and other metals used.
Yes. They did change this a bit (different kinds of rivets for the early torpedoes made before the war).

I also found some red paint on the fins, which is cool.
Yes. Most likely not original, as the torpedoes have been sanded down/blasted during the restorations (two times since the war if I remember correctly). During the last restoration they made some effort to get the colors correct, but as evident by the colour used on the Kf head for the TV they didn't quite get it right (seems too dark, although I can only asess the photos available online, as I haven't been there muself).
I don't remember if I have the nomenclature for TV-markings, but LUT-torpedoes should have a green marking like that on the rudder.

I am 99% sure they were all of the TV, as I am planning to continue adding detail to my 3D model of the TV.
Nope. Most of your photos are of the TV (serial number 118793), but there are also a couple of shots from from the second display with the TIII with exersicehead and partly cut-opened hull.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #262 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 16:23 »

Thanks for the photo. That's an odd one that: Obviously a type 1215 exersice head, but it has some non-original features suggesting post-war modification (by Bundesmarine I guess).

I found a better photo of the name plate, not sure if it useful.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #263 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 16:27 »

Ok, thanks again. I hope I can get the opportunity to get there myself one day :-)  (PS: If you ever plan a new trip to Europe, consider cheking out Norway as well - we have probably the largest collection of german torpeoes at Herdla outside Bergen (no TV's though...), and I'd be happy to give a guided tour).

I am going to a conference in Canada in October and I was thinking about going back to Germany to check out the U-boats again, but it's depends on how much time I can get off work.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #264 on: 02 Mar , 2020, 16:29 »

Nope. Most of your photos are of the TV (serial number 118793), but there are also a couple of shots from from the second display with the TIII with exersicehead and partly cut-opened hull.

You are right! I must have let a few slip in  ;D

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #265 on: 04 Mar , 2020, 06:00 »
I found a better photo of the name plate, not sure if it useful.
Sure is, thanks :-)
Obviously, it's an original plate and at first glance it seems the airtanks wasn't tested since 1943, which could mean it was not used postwar.

Certainly two details differ it from an "ordinary" type 1215, so I'm still a butt puzzled: Might be a variant (there's basically no information/details available on the german exersiceheads), or it was in fact in use post war. Despite the original shield, I'm leaning towards the latter:
 * The colour is certaily post war (and complies to Bundesmarine standard).
 * The details on the tracking-lamp cover and the nose ring indicates postwar modifications.
 * Testing of the airtanks might have been tracked by use of a register, in stead of stamping it into the shield (we did that in RNoN-service)
 * The stock of exerciseheads were low after the war, and always in high demand (in Norway several new heads had to be manufactured after the war, and that was also the case in West germany). Unless the head was faulty, I'm sure it would have been used post war.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #266 on: 04 Mar , 2020, 06:02 »
You are right! I must have let a few slip in
Never get to many photos of that one either (it's good for internal details, which for the most parts also are identical between the TIII and the TV).

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #267 on: 14 Sep , 2020, 01:22 »
Just want to check how it's going with the guide?

Have a great day!  ;D

Regards,

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #268 on: 14 Sep , 2020, 14:48 »
Just want to check how it's going with the guide?

Have a great day!  ;D

Regards,
I am still working on it. I am updating all my TV drawings.

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #269 on: 15 Sep , 2020, 01:04 »
Sounds great! Keep up the good work.  :)