SEA > SAIL

French 36 Pounder

<< < (5/6) > >>

billp51d:

--- Quote from: billp51d on 04 Mar , 2010, 04:59 ---         Pat...Many thanks for the deck info. and the link for the veneer. It looks like the deck alone will be a project in itself....But well worth it.
                                                      Cheers/Regards, Bill

--- End quote ---
              Pat..Thanks once again. I did notice the "jogglin". Doesn't look that awful to replecate. As far as hatches, they look fairly do-able also. Operable hinges ?..Err,..uhh,
....ummmm ?..maybe later....To be continued...

Pat:
I'm glad about the critique.  I didn't want to upset you, but as I was certain that the cannon was done more as a decorative piece than a realistic one (at which it succeeded wonderfully), I thought you'd appreciate knowing about the historically accurate one from the way you do your workups on the subs.  I've learned a LOT from the guys on this forum.

I built a similar cannon years ago, and I found the same way that some of the rigging insstructions were lacking a bit.  Knowing about how the rigging goes on an old sailing ship is one of the things you learn over time, sometimes by good instructions or historical manuals, and sometimes by crawling around actual ships, which I've done a lot of.  After a while, you've seen so many of them, you just know, like the part about lines never crossing over each other because they might saw apart.

BTW, never trust an old painting of ships because the artists were often landlubbers who never went to sea, and just painted what they thought they saw from shore and made quick sketches of to finish off back in their studios.

How the cannon rigging goes is also a matter of long experience, seeing real ones on ships like HMS Victory, USS Constitution, HMS Rose, Pride of Baltimore, USS Providence, HMS WArrior, HMS Bounty, and many other ships I've been on.  And also sitting back, looking at it and thinking about how it moves in real life,so where things must have to go and the physics of it all (like the angle of the eyebolts).

It doesn't hurt to have had my own sailboat for over 30 years either, and finding out what works and what doesn't.  My boat, as you might not be surprised, isn't a modern-looking rig.  I have 3 sails, a teak taffrail, teak trailboards, the teak binnacle and teak-clad mast inside, and a carved wooden cartouche (nameplate) on the stern.

You're right Ernest.  After you've done decking a few times (with veneer), it's not much different that paper collage.  Just cut sith scissors and stick.

The hardest part is the frame underneath (which you guys are already skilled at judging by the ribs visible through the long slots over the saddle tanks) and knowing the right patterns to use.  The patterns you look up in research (some are standard, like the butt stepping and joggling) and some are specific to either certain types of boats or time periods (like the framing around hatches.).

I'm glad you find I've helped you become a better modeller.  You and the others have also returned that favour to help me be better at it also.

Pat:
Bill, yes, the joggling is easy when you see the edge of the deck on the U-boat where I pointed out.  Once you have that idea, the only thing to remember is never let a plank come to a point, cut it off at 1/3 width (or larger).

Yes, the hinges for most of the hatches on a modern ship are very simple.  There's about 4 different types (as I explained on another thread, I think Greif's on typ VII schematics) but the main one consists of just a piece of small brass rod and some thin brass shim.

Cut the shim into 2 strips each 1/2 the width of the hinge you want to make, (I can get down to each strip being about 0.5mm making a 1mm wide hinge) and then wrap them around the rod.  Then cut the rod off so that it's just long enough to fill both strip when they're around it.  Glue (or nail with an even smaller bit of wire) one strip to the frame/deck and one strip to the door/hatch.  repeat at the other end of the hatch.

Rokket:
It's a great dio and Pat's info is excellent to take it to another level.

Pat, some questions: gun casting seam - did they bother filing off the casting seam in real life? Also are you a Hornblower (books and TV) and Aubrey/Maturin fan?

Pat:
I'll take the second question first since it's the easiest.

Yes, I've read all of the Hornblower series.  Also all of the Richard Bolitho series (similar to Hornblower written by Alexander Kent) and the Thomas Kydd series (told from the point of view of a pressed sailor instead of a midshipman/officer written by Julian Stockwin) and many of the Rammage books also (written by Dudley Pope).  There's also been a lot of single books that I've read but can't remember the titles and authors of the top of my head.

I never really got into the Aubrey books, just his style I guess but as I have several acquaintances who were the extras who actually sailed the ship in the Russel Crowe movie, of course I had to see that.

On top of that I've also toured several dozen sailing warships, most of the ones remaining in the world and watched one fire a 21 gun salute in real life.  (USS Constitution during her annual turnaround cruise)

But I've even gone one better than that and been on board during an actual 'battle' between two ships.  Ok, we were firing water balloons across about 300 meters of open water, but the maneuvering and sail trimming during the battle were just as real as the old days.

The first time I ever sailed on a tall ship, the first officer ordered me to "ready the main throat halyard" and couldn't believe it when I went directly to the correct line on the belaying pins at the foot of the correct mast.  He knew I'd never sailed such a ship before because they asked when everybody came aboard.  LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version