SEA > TYPE IX

U-129 late configuration

<< < (5/5)

AndrewTSM:
Well the container's look like D shaped ones and I think they're most like likely 2x2.

AndrewTSM:
You can also ask the u-boat museum, u-boot recherche if there are any non-digitalised photos of U-129, they have many photos just they aren't all available online, i asked them about this and they are more than happy to look, however amidst Corona noone is there, so you'd have to wait.

AndrewTSM:
What I can tell is that the railings on the outside of the lower wintergarten are lower than those circular drain holes and the drain holes are higher, this is already a difference from the U-505 and is the same for the U-515. You can see on the U-505 that these railings are above these holes and the holes themselves seem slightly lower.

Trust_but_verify:
Sadly that was the only one he was able to find of her post war. Good call on the position of the flood holes in relation of the railings.  I also notice that there appears to be a conical support under the upper platform just like on 505, but I cant make out any evidence of a barrel container below it.  Also, what are your thoughts on the dark faring half way up the front of the tower?  Maybe a bracket for a snorkel? 

Another interesting bit is that the railings appear to be painted a different color than the rest of the tower and upper hull.  I havent seen that in other boats.

AndrewTSM:
Snorkel, probably not. Maybe it was never fitted with a 37mm gun, I can't make out a guard rail that was installed to boats with 37mm's to prevent their traverse. Do contact the museum though when things go back to normal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version