SEA > TYPE IX

U-129 late configuration

(1/5) > >>

Trust_but_verify:
Hello everyone, I've been looking for alternate options for my revell u-505 kit build.  U-129 seems like a good possibility since she was assigned to the same flotilla and departed on her last patrol just 6 days after 505 left on hers.  I'm guessing both boats would have been in very similar configurations but am having a hard time confirming it. I've found several pictures of 129 in her early war form but I was wondering if anyone had a picture of her in 1944.  Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

All the best
Sam

dougie47:
Hello Sam,

I don't recall seeing a photo of U 129 in late war configuration but with everything at the moment I am unable to go through all my books. When U 129 left on her final patrol in March 1944 the boat may very well have been in the same configuration as U 505 and that might be a good time frame for your model.

U 129 did return from the final patrol and then was fitted with a schnorchel in July / August 1944 (so the boat did not have a schnorchel on her final patrol).

Cheers,

Dougie

PS Hope everyone is staying well. Sorry we have had to shut AMP production but I am sure you understand why.

AndrewTSM:
It's pretty hard to find boats in their late war configuration, the photos are rare, I spent quite some time looking and settled with U-515. Trust me I've been through hell and back looking.

Trust_but_verify:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input.  515 seems like a good option too.  I had also considered 510 but it seems that she had the armored shelters built up around the conning tower, so that would require a fair bit of surgery to the kit.

AndrewTSM:
Yes, I am trying to find pictures of those armored shelters, called kohlenkastens, I've been scavengering the internet for them for a while. I have a few but I'll have to put a watermark on them because they are products from the U-boat museums digital archive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version