General Modeling > General Model Discussion

USS Barb rocket attack queston

<< < (2/3) > >>

carr:
I noticed that no one had any additional info.  Anything new? 

Does anyone know where the launcher was mounted?  Main deck?  Sail?  Photos that I've seen of Barb show nothing.  I was under the impression that the launcher was set up when needed rather than being a permanent mount.  Anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks,
Bob

Rokket:
From Fluckey's book - (sumarised):

They kept the rocket motors unscrewed and at separate end of boat from rockets, worried about BOOM!

They set the launcher (ld fixed pipe style) up on deck when needed. First firing was at 5250yds (they could set it with adjusting pipe pins to a launch angle, only 4 choices). 12 rockets. Fired at night, were "polaroid goggles" set "to darkest" so fire wouldn't kill night vision.

I think it was on the bow, as the boat had to be the aiming.

SnowCajun:

--- Quote from: carr on 08 Jan , 2010, 21:38 ---Does anyone know where the launcher was mounted?  Main deck?  Sail?  Photos that I've seen of Barb show nothing.  I was under the impression that the launcher was set up when needed rather than being a permanent mount.  Anyone know anything more about this? Thanks, Bob
--- End quote ---

Bob I remember when Fluckey returned after receiving the CMOH and his boat had been updated during it's refit for his last patrol, his gradution or harassment patrol.  One thing I do remember the book saying is that he noticed the empty spot forward where the 4" gun used to be sinced they'd removed it and added a 5" gun aft.  That got him to thinking about an old conversation he'd had previously with someone about unusual weapons for submarines, so he wrote a letter to someone named Harry Hull, if my memory serves me correctly, asking about rockets.  Fluckey didn't trust it going through channels as he figured his idea may get shot down.

Anyway,  it's my understanding that the spot where the 4" deck gun had been mounted forward is the place where they mounted the rocket launcher,  so that would have been on the main deck and not in the sail area.  In fact I remember Fluckey speaking of looking down at the red flashlights working connecting the wiring before entering one of the harbors to bombard one of the towns,  so obviously he was above where the launcher was mounted.

SnowCajun

Rokket:
Howdy Snow - yes, I also got the impression of forward, even near the bow, but the former gun mount makes sense. (support and room).

jrichard:
I realize that I am answering a question from 2010, but for those of you that are interested...

My dad served on the USS Barb under Adm Eugene Fluckey on the last 5 war patrols (8-12)... So I have picked up some knowledge regarding the Barb over the years... I have also attended several Barb reunions over the years and met many of the officers and enlisted men that served on the Barb along with my dad...

My dad passed away in 2005, but I recently reconnected with one of my dad's friends who is the last surviving officer that served on the Barb, so if I can't answer your questions, I'm sure he can...

On their 12th war patrol the Barb had a Mk 51 Mod 0 launcher and 72 Mk 10 Mod 0 5 inch rockets.  They launched a total of 4 rocket assaults and fired a total of 68 rockets...

The rocket launcher was mounted on the foredeck in the area where the 4 inch gun had previously been mounted... I don't know if the launcher was permanently mounted to the deck or brought out and setup for attacks and then stowed away after...

The 1st rocket assault on the town of Shari occurred on 6/22/1945 at 2:34 am. The Barb launched 12 rockets into the center of the town from 4,700 yds offshore...

The 2nd rocket assault on the town of Shikuka occurred on 7/3/1945 at 2:46 am. The Barb launched 12 rockets into the center of town from 4,930 yds offshore...

The 3rd rocket assault on the town of Shoritori occurred on 7/24/1945 at 10:36 pm. The Barb launched a total of 32 rockets. 20 rockets were launched into a factory from 5,250 yds offshore (they fired 12, then reloaded and fired 8 more) and then they repositioned and fired 12 more rockets into the center of town...

The 4th and final rocket assault on the town of Kashiho occurred on 7/25/1945 at 3:10 am. The Barb launched 12 rockets into the center of town from 5,000 yds offshore...

I have never seen any pictures of the Mk 51 mounted on the Barb, though there may be some out there in one of the crew members private collections... There is some video footage of the launcher, but it is very poor quality and taken from up close so you can't get a good look at the launcher... You can view the video on YouTube at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfEzq20EzGU You can see the launcher from 0:15 - 0:26

If you have any questions regarding the Barb, I will be happy to try and find the answer for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version