SEA > TYPE IX

Finished Photos of My Revell 1/72 Type IXC U-505-April 1944

(1/4) > >>

phillip1:
Fellow Modelers,

Below are photos of my Revell 1/72 U-505 U-boat model, finished just last week.  The photos are not the greatest quality, because they were all taken inside and the camera flash has a tendency to wash out the colors.  The model is painted/weathered to look like it would have at the end of April 1944, six weeks into its final patrol.  There is a good bit of wear and paint loss on the upper hull and conning tower, but not nearly as much as when it surrendered on June 4th.  The model was built almost straight from the box, with no after-markets parts being added.  I only added a few styrene, wire and photo etch pieces here and there.  I think the kit builds really well out of the box.

Special thanks go to Dougie Martindale for his high quality help in answering my paint color questions.  The upper hull, lower hull and deck colors are VERY close Model Master paint matches compared against the Life Color-Kriegsmarine #2 Paint Set.  The color of the conning tower (Model Master Insignia Blue-1719) was also suggested by Dougie.  The 2nd U-Flottile green shell (with background) tower decals were ordered from AMP.  I hope you enjoy the photos!

Phillip1

phillip1:
more photos...

dougie47:
Hi Phillip,

Thanks for sharing your photos. A very impressive build. I particularly like the little patches of salt staining on the upper hull which can be seen in the photos of the real boats. The tower weathering is great too. Well done!

Dougie

phillip1:
Dougie,

Thanks for the compliments.  They are appreciated.  Even with all the color fading, chipping and rust stains the colors used make it an attractive and eye-catching paint scheme.

Phillip1

DerXL:
Great looking build.
I especially like the realistic weathering of the tower (and hull).

Great job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version