Author Topic: U-3 - 1938 Configuration  (Read 16132 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-3 - 1938 Configuration
« Reply #30 on: 02 Nov , 2009, 23:15 »
Mmmm, very nice. Love the hatch and railing work too, it came out waaay OK! The overall shot looks mighty fine, too.

Oh, that's a very nice storage system and actualy unit for your paint - you're much too neat and organized, but it's still nice ;D
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #31 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 12:11 »
Mmmm, very nice. Love the hatch and railing work too, it came out waaay OK! The overall shot looks mighty fine, too.

Oh, that's a very nice storage system and actualy unit for your paint - you're much too neat and organized, but it's still nice ;D

You know Rokket, so far this build is turning out ok.  The only real setback thus far was my first attempt at water, which thankfully turned out to be easily correctable.

The last two days I built 8 figures and have prepped them for priming and painting.  Not worth any pictures yet.  I have also been doing a bit of scratchbuilding/kitbashing on the torpedo loading system.  Another couple of days and I should be ready to assemble and paint it. 

Also, thanks for the compliment on my paint storage.  I guess the quest for orderliness is my german side coming out.  ;D

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: 03 Nov , 2009, 23:07 »
Tell us how you're doing the figures,always interested. I painted mine black, then painted over that, heard it was a fast and dirty way to get some good shading. It seemed to work, but would like to better on the Gato crew. Also very interested in your kitbashing for the torp loading!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #33 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 02:20 »
Tell us how you're doing the figures,always interested. I painted mine black, then painted over that, heard it was a fast and dirty way to get some good shading. It seemed to work, but would like to better on the Gato crew. Also very interested in your kitbashing for the torp loading!

Hi Wink, to answer your questions,  the technique I use for 1:72 figure painting is an old one from the late 70's called "stain Painting" a short discription follows:

1) I paint the head and body of figures seperately if possible.
2) Using and airbrush, prime with a light color (generally I use vallejo light grey).  This brings out any imperfections that can then be corrected.
3) Again, using and airbrush spray a flat black base coat, I use Lifecolor paints, they have a very fine pigmentation that is important when painting 1:72 scale.  Let dry overnight. Vallejo paints also work well.
4) Using flat white, drybrush the entire figure.  When finished with this step the raised surfaces will be colored white, while the recesses will still be black.
5) Using acrylics of the chosen color, thinned to the consistency of milk "stain" the figure.  Do this until satisfied with the effect, usually no more then two passes.  This technique causes a nice blending effect between highlights and shadows.
6) Use a very thin 1:9 wash of medium brown laid in to the recesses using a 000 brush to take a bit of the "harshness" out of the contrast.
7) Finally, drybrush light highlights onto raised surfaces.
8) Seal by airbrushing a matt varnish.  (I use Vallejo Matt)

I use a different technique for the faces.
    a.  Airbrush a flesh colored base coat.  This gives a smooth surface to work with. (I use Vallejo flesh)
    b.  Paint eyebrows, beards if wanted, using an acrylic color of your choice. Let everything dry overnight. 
    c.  Use an oil based wash of Burnt Umber to lay in the deep shadows and eyes.  At 1:72 scale you can't see the "whites of the eyes" or iris color so this is as far as one needs to go for the eyes.
    d.  Using artists oils, Yellow Ochre and Raw Umber mix light and very light highlights and dark shadows.  Using a drybrush technique lay these onto the correct locations, a tiny bit is all that is needed for this. Next take a soft brush and working from top to bottom lightly stroke the bruch a few times.  This will blend the paint nicely.
    e.  Finally, after everything is dry and again using a airbrush, spray a tiny bit of semi-gloss coat from directly above the head.  This will give the upper surfaces of the face a bit of sheen and add "life" to it.

It all sounds more complex than it is and the results are quite nice.

The kitbashing/scratchbuilding of the torpedo loading equipment is nearly complete and was pretty straightforward.  I used several of the parts from the CMK torpedo loading set, a "block" made out of resin, and some small parts to scratch built a block and tackle arrangment (still waiting for the blocks to arrive).

I have three photos of type IIs loading torpedos.  The vertical post and block and tackle appear to be the same as those used in other uboot types.  The loading tray and its supports look much different.  In fact, they look slightly different in each of the three photos.  This leads me to believe that crews may have used what was on hand to give the tray the proper angle.  In two of the photos, the loading tray appears to be supported on a piece of knee height wood. 

I will post a couple of photos tonight when I get home.  Again, it is pretty straightforward.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #34 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 12:57 »
The following pictures show the figures after priming.  Overall, I got it right the first time with construction, filling and sanding.  With the exception of the left head in the "Heads 2" photo there were no noticable seams.  They will cure over night and I will start paining tomorrow.

Enjoy,
Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #35 on: 04 Nov , 2009, 13:02 »
And the updates keep on coming.  ;D

The following pictures are of the supplies I will be using with painting being complete; and a few of the torpedo loading parts.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #36 on: 06 Nov , 2009, 11:55 »
Latest update:

I have been working on the figures and misc. other stuff.  The figures are nearly done; I only need to attach the heads.  The first three pictures show the almost finished figures. 

Photo three is the torpedo.

Enjoy!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #37 on: 07 Nov , 2009, 09:52 »
Today's update:  Things are starting to come together.  I completed the supply loading scene, which turned out fairly well.  I also installed the torpedo cradle, and the safety railing.  Finally, I made some progress on the torpedo loading gear.  Enjoy the photos.

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #38 on: 09 Nov , 2009, 12:54 »
No pictures today.  I have been working on weathering and installing the dockside walls.  There are some minor fit issues to be corrected and I have to fill the spaces between the water and wood/concrete.  That is a task for tomorrow.

I am still waiting on the parts I ordered from England to arrive.  Hopefully they will be here tomorrow or Wednesday.  Once they are here I can press on with consruction of both the torpedo loading scene and the shortning wires.

Ernest 

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #39 on: 12 Nov , 2009, 13:03 »
Completed general construction of the insulators.  Building them was not too hard and they turned out ok.  Critiques are welcome.  :)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov , 2009, 12:20 »
Newest update:  As you can see by the pictures, I have been working on the shorting lines.  They required alot of measuring and picture scanning to ensure I got the distances right.  I scratchbuilt the line splitter out of evergreen stock (more measuring and pictur scanning!).  The brass tightners are some leftovers from the AMP PE Set.  Overall they turned out ok.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov , 2009, 17:27 »
Thanks for the detailed info, and the pix. ll look great. And nice rigging, too!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov , 2009, 10:15 »
Thanks for the detailed info, and the pix. ll look great. And nice rigging, too!

Hi Rokket, I'm coming down to the wire on the build.  It should be finshed late this coming week.  Glad you like the insulators; they are a bit over scale, but not by much and they look pretty good once painted.

Everything is ready to rig the uboot up, which I will do once I have completed doing the "water" around the dock pilings, a rather long and nerve racking job I must say.  I should have changed the contruction sequence a bit to make it easier.  Live and learn as they say!

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov , 2009, 00:46 »
good pix