SEA > TYPE IX

U-889 from Revell U-505 kit plus U-534 conversion

(1/6) > >>

Bob Tomlin:
Hi Gents,
I'd like to hopefully build the U534 using the Revell 'U-505' kit with the forthcoming rcsubs conversion seen here:-
http://www.rcsubs.cz/index.php/80-uvod/132-ixc40-534-172

I wondered if anyone on here might know of the existence or not of any wartime shots of this particular boat and if so which publications they're in, or if there are any other good references?
The only shots I've seen so far are one taken from the attacking Liberator and another one which might be of her in a much earlier fit in harbour.
My intention was to put her in a 'seascape' which will involve cutting her down a little, but will let me concentrate on the 'normally visible above the waterline' bits.

Any pointers to references or potential pitfalls with this would be very appreciated, thanks.

Bob.

Bob Tomlin:
Thanks very much for the offline help so far, much appreciated.

I'd been wondering about what the best way for me to have a go at this model might be.
Like I said before, I thought it'd be a nice idea to have her running on the surface and I've been very inspired by Chris Flodbergs tutorials on seascapes, (which I came across) so I'm going to have a go at that.
I've got the materials in and am first going to have a practice run on a surface minus the sub to see if it works for me.
I also thought it might be a good idea to have a sort of plan in place as to what I'm aiming for, so I did a quick sketch where I think I'd like her running on fairly smooth sea, cutting some waves.
Looking at photos of this, a fair number of drainage slots will be covered by water, so that could save some internal work?

I thought I'd also try modifying the areas behind the drainage slots that are visible, adding some card to give a bit of depth hopefully like this (but I'd be happy to hear of any better way of doing it).

Cheers Bob.

U-boater:
I like your idea. I'm certain it will greatly improve the look of kit's vents.  8)

GlennCauley:
Yup, you got the right idea!    That's essentially what many of us do.

Don't kill yourself to make the pillars triangular, they can be square (since those baffle plates extended upwards).
Thankfully the plates are easy to place, as they are in line with the vertical rows of rivets.

Keep us apprised of your build.  :)

SG:
A most clever idea and marvellous sketches! Am really looking forward to see the WIP shots of your project!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version