SPACE > SHUTTLE

New Monogram 1/72 Shuttle Stack build

(1/4) > >>

Lake County SpacePort:
I'm plowing forward with a new 1/72 Shuttle Stack build, employing the AMP Window set, along with other detail parts from Real Space Models, NiParts (3D printed parts available through "Shapeways.com") along with custom printed applications and decals I'm working on.

Photos included are the Orbiter fuselage with AMP windows installed, along with the Payload Bay forward bulkhead.

The Payload Bay forward bulkhead is an example of the graphics work coming through. Take a NASA photo showing the interior of the bay, crop the forward bulkhead, correct for perspective tilt and print onto Avery full-page while label stock. I'll add the Cabin Vent Standpipes in polystyrene tubing later after the bay comes together into the fuselage.

The build will also be shown on my own website - www.lakecountyspaceport.com.

Editing has begun, but not posted yet. First images and build-up reports should be up next week.

Rokket:
Tell us everything about pic #3 and the cargo cap. That looks brilliant!

Rokket:
Ooops, I shouldn't have skimmed in my excitement. I have toyed with using the AMP flag technology to print onto fabric and make that quilted look.

She's looking great!

Lake County SpacePort:
From Rokket - "Tell us everything about pic #3 and the cargo cap. That looks brilliant!"

Well, a friend of mine, David Maier of Edu-Craft Diversions out in California, has spent an incredible amount of time using photos of NASA launch support equipment to make ingenious paper models of things like the Apollo/Saturn V Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT) and Mobile Launch Platform in numerous scales, as well as the MLP for the Shuttle, the "milk stool" for supporting the Saturn 1B on the LUT, as it was during Skylab and ASTP, etc. (See http://www.educraftdiversions.org/)

So, playing off David's idea of "photo-realistic" detail, I found a NASA photo of the Payload Bay interior shot while one of the Orbiters was in the OPF for servicing. Taking only the forward bulkhead portion of the shot, I attempted to correct the perspective shift and sized it to be bulkhead of the Monogram model, printing it onto Avery full-page white label stock.

That was the result.

I'll include pis of the rest of the Payload Bay, as I was able to get a section of the bay's floor matting lifted and printed, as well as the rear bulkhead.
A number of these shots are already posted on the "New 1/72 Monogram Shuttle Stack" section of the "Non-Fiction Models" section of "www.lakecountyspaceport.com", but I will post some here as well.

Lake County SpacePort:
The first pic is a shot of the Payload Bay interior looking aft. The floor panels are done the same way as the forward bulkhead was, pulling an image of the mat from NASA photos, figuring the proper size and printing onto label stock. Each section was place on the floor, with just less than 0.10" space between them. I use 0.10" wide, 0.015" thick polystyrene strips to do the joiners across the bottom seams as well as the sides.

The SRBs have been moving along, now receiving detail painting. The upper sections show the sep motor caps and access panels, and the lower sections show the heater roll color applied to the three lower joints.

The External Tank got its overall color of Rustoleum "2X Satin" Cinnamon, then got airbrushed with soft Pumpkin mix that I created to do the lighter relief sections. The colors for the Aft Support Strut hardware was taken from NASA images. The ET Itertank Access panel artwork and Gaseous Umbilical Plate were also captured fro NASA images and scaled to the tank.

The ET will be getting NiPart 3d printed Frost Ramps applied to its surface to support the pressurization lines and the wiring chase. More on that to follow...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version