Author Topic: USS Hornet Build  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
USS Hornet Build
« on: 29 Nov , 2011, 03:48 »
Hi guys, a few of you may remember me mentioning some time back that one of my wife's friends asked me to build a 1/350 scale model of the USS Hornet for her 25th wedding anniversary.  Well that time is nearly upon us; their anniversary is this Friday, and I have completed the ship for her.  Her husband bought the ship and a few aircraft sets several years ago.  His spouse wanted me to build a clean display version of the model and also asked if I could come up with an idea that would make it "a little different and special".  With that guidance I got to work.  Based on the aircraft kits I decided to show the Hornet as she looked circa Aug-Oct 1942.  

The kit built into a nice model, but I have admit that making the masks for the camo scheme was A LOT of work - and I'll not be doing that again anytime in the near future!  There are a total of 30 aircraft and I ended up putting 300 decals in total on them.  Surprisingly I rather enjoyed that little job, though it took some time.  I decided to show most of the aircraft readied and spotted on deck for a strike.  Five of the planes went into the hanger.  That was the "different and special" part of the build my wife's friend asked for.  I opened the covers on the starboard side of the forward hanger deck and positioned the 5 planes inside.  I wired a couple of small lights to the bottom of the flight deck to provide light giving a pretty neat effect.

My wife's friend looked at the finished product last night and was so pleased and excited that she surprised me giving me a hug and kiss.  Good thing she wasn't too excited; who knows where that would have gone!!   ;D

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest

« Last Edit: 29 Nov , 2011, 03:50 by Greif »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: USS Hornet Build
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov , 2011, 04:31 »
The hangars are very cool,... a lot of work but looking good!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov , 2011, 11:08 »
Looks great! Really nice!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov , 2011, 11:16 »
Hi Ernest,

Lovely work! Well done.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov , 2011, 00:28 »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  The build turned out well, though there was zero weathering involved.  But, that is how the customer wanted it, so I delivered!

Ernest

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov , 2011, 11:22 »
A lovely Carrier Ernest! I like the camo!! Congrats
SG

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec , 2011, 08:34 »
Hello Ernest,

I have been away a long time, but it is really nice to come back and see your beautiful work again.  Congratulations!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec , 2011, 09:49 »
Thanks Bill, coming from a master modeller like you that is high praise indeed.

Ernest

Hello Ernest,

I have been away a long time, but it is really nice to come back and see your beautiful work again.  Congratulations!

Cheers,

Bill