Author Topic: Launch of HMS Duncan  (Read 4786 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Launch of HMS Duncan
« on: 14 Oct , 2010, 15:11 »
Hi gents,

I managed to get to the launch of the destroyer Duncan earlier in the week. HMS Duncan, as she will become, is the sixth and last of the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyers. Usually when frigates and destroyers are launched into the Clyde in Glasgow it is a cold, rainy today. This was unusual in being a sunny warm day.

It was noticeable how the bootline varies in width, being wider towards the bow. There is a new Dragon kit in 700th scale for the Type 45.

In one of the sheds there were steel sections for the carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth. That will be quite something when it is completed!   

While waiting for the ceremony I browsed at a stand for the local model boat club. Some nice models, including HMS Defender on the right hand side of this photo. Looks like a Matchbox / Revell 1/72nd Flower class Corvette in the foreground.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Launch of HMS Duncan
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct , 2010, 22:33 »
Thanks Dougie, for the pictures :) :) Looks a lot different to the Type 42. Do you think they will build two Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier?

While looking up information about Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier. I found this picture from Wikimedia, I known the USS Nimitz was big! But wow!! The HMS Ark Royal look like a baby :o :o

TRM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 06:38 »
Dougie,

Awesome pics!  Must have been exciting? I am assuming they did not let people aboard?

Nice shots of the models as well.

NZ,  Great shot too!  I think the Reagan and/or Bust is a little bigger......the powers to be still use the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality I am guessing!  LOL.  They get any bigger, they could be docked in New York and Bristol, Eng. at the same time...one way to cross the pond! ;D

Cheers!   

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct , 2010, 19:02 »
must have been a nice event - pix look like it was. Nice modern boat.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 14:13 »
Hi gents,

The launch was an exciting moment. Must be such a proud moment for anybody who has worked on the ship to see it launched. Unfortunately only the workers get on board when it launches - that would be really something to be on board during a launch!

Simon, a lovely comparative photo of the Nimitz and the Ark Royal. The Ark in that photo is the old Ark Royal (R09), which was about 40-50,000 tons and decommissioned in 1978. She had a catapult and Buccaneers, Phantoms served aboard.

The modern Ark Royal (R07) is only 20,000 tons and is over 100 feet shorter than the previous Ark. She has a ski-jump to accomodate the Harriers (and previously the Sea Harriers which are now out of service).

Wow, that Nimitz is big :)

According to media reports today, it looks as if both of the new 65,000 ton carriers will be built (too late to cancel them). But there will be cuts to other areas, probably to the number of RN surface ships, and the number of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters aboard the carriers. There will probably be closures to RAF bases and RAF squadrons also.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct , 2010, 20:13 »
More Duncans! (they are the future). It would seem that if you're going for a carrier, you reeeeally need aircraft onboard. Cuts are tough to any dept., but carrier = carry planes.

Those things are getting so big.

It's funny to see the smooth and angular lines of the Duncan against the "add-on-tree-house" WWII style of superstructure...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz