Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512289 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #930 on: 06 May , 2011, 19:55 »
Wow! Looks very 3D!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #931 on: 20 May , 2011, 12:30 »
I am trying to position the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. There seen to bit a of variations (I think :-\). I am after any pictures of this area of the boat with the bridge shelf and the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. In the picture below of U-249, it looks like the Direction Finder Antenna Loop cut into the bridge shelf, which I thought was usually because there enough room to add it so it does not cut into the bridge shelf.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-249PhotosPortland.htm

Here my best estimate of the position of the bridge shelf and the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. What do people think?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #932 on: 21 May , 2011, 22:22 »
that looks like it, I agree on angle, etc.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #933 on: 21 May , 2011, 22:34 »
Looks pretty good, I'm in no way an expert in the u-boats but it does look good the me.....thats my 2 coppers.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #934 on: 24 May , 2011, 22:50 »
Is the UZO mounting tower position slightly off the centreline of the U-boat to Port ??? I have always believe it was position on the centreline of the U-boat, but I have two war time photographs of U-586 & U-765 and the pictures clearly show the UZO mounting tower slightly position off the centreline.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #935 on: 24 May , 2011, 23:07 »
Hi Dougie or anyone.

On Turm IV, we know that the upper and lower wintergarten deck was wood, was the bridge deck, wood or steel ???

Thanks, Simon.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #936 on: 25 May , 2011, 06:18 »
Hmmm...it's possible off ctr, because there could be other equip to make room for, and a few centimeters wouldn't make much difference, and yet, it would make so much sense to be dead ctr...

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #937 on: 25 May , 2011, 12:56 »
Hmmm...it's possible off ctr, because there could be other equip to make room for, and a few centimeters wouldn't make much difference, and yet, it would make so much sense to be dead ctr...

After posting yesterday I was looking at more pictures of the UZO's and I could have a reason why they had it off central, because of the sky periscope :-\

Maybe that why they keep missing with the torpedoes at the start of the war, the engineers forgot to say to the boats captains that the UZO was off centre  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 26 Oct , 2011, 20:13 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #938 on: 26 May , 2011, 16:25 »
Atlantic Bow - Update

While adding the twelve circular vents above the torpedo doors to U-1308, I noticed that they did not fix the Type VIIC/41 very well. So I have another look at the bow shape. I feel that I made a mistake in my original drawing :(

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg5634;topicseen#msg5634

I believe now the alteration for the Atlantic Bow only affect the bow casting section, and does not affect the deck to № 91 like in my original drawing. If the alteration is only affecting the bow casting section, is makes sense as they would not need to modify any other part of the boat.

The pink outline is the Type VIIC and the green outline is the Atlantic Bow.

Above you can see the bow casting section. Is this the section they would had alternated for the Atlantic Bow (Source: Westwood).

Above you can see the outline of the Atlantic Bow (Source: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149950&page=21)

Here a major rework of my Type VIIC/41 bow. I would also like to thanks everyone who helped me, with answers to my questions, getting me feedback and giving me pictures :) :)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #939 on: 27 May , 2011, 12:46 »
my goodness!!

that is some serious attention to details :o
was that internal ribbing identical to early VII/C? :)

Marko

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #940 on: 27 May , 2011, 16:19 »
my goodness!!

that is some serious attention to details :o
was that internal ribbing identical to early VII/C? :)

Marko

Marko, the internal ribbing is the same for all Type VIIC's. In the drawing I have been able to match the correct space and placements of the rivets, base on the original rivets on U-995. In addition I have the correct space between the ribbing, almost all the space are at 500 mm however, there are several areas on the boat where this spacing changes.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #941 on: 27 May , 2011, 23:31 »
NZ - still beautiful!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #942 on: 28 May , 2011, 06:58 »
Hi Simon,

Been away for a few days so just catching up on things. I presume the bridge deck on the VIIC/41s was wood, just like the earlier boats.

Good work on the Atlantic bow!

I don't know much about Type IXs but I think some or all of the UZOs on the IXs were offset by a good distance to port. If I recall correctly, on the Revell kit the UZO was placed slightly to the port. There was much discussion about this when Revell first released the kit. The consensus at the time was that Revell got this wrong on their model.

But I've seen a post war photo of U 995 in which the UZO does look very slightly offset to port in relation to the persicopes. I would have thought they would have wanted to keep the UZO central, given its function in aiming torpedoes? Could you email the U 586 and U 765 photos? They would be interesting to see.

I'm convinced that the earliest VIICs had the UZO in the centre. Photos of the tower of the VIIB U 86 are excellent as they permit clear views from the rear of the UZO and both periscopes. And the well known VIIB schematic has the UZO in the centre. Other boats like U 552 and U 564 it looks in the centre.

However, there is a VIID schematic where the UZO is to the port side...

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #943 on: 28 May , 2011, 08:03 »

Dougie you got PM

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308