Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512345 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #915 on: 31 Mar , 2011, 12:07 »
Hi Simon,

Good work on these vents. I've seen very few photos of Alberich boats, hence why I never put them in the vent article. I'm pleased you've been able to establish the patterns.

Any ideas what they did on Alberich boats for the lower vents - the ones behind the foreplanes and the other group near the props?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #916 on: 31 Mar , 2011, 12:51 »
Any ideas what they did on Alberich boats for the lower vents - the ones behind the foreplanes and the other group near the props?

I have been thinking about the same thing. At this moment I am unsure as I have no pictures of these area :'( but I imagine they reduce the number of vents and made them larger.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #917 on: 31 Mar , 2011, 14:42 »
Dougie, here something I have just noticed on U-1105, the 5 man life raft containers under the lower wintergaten has been remove (at least the starboard one - can not see the port side of the boat).

They must have removed them to make the surface smoother so they could lay the tiles on the lower wintergaten.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr , 2011, 16:33 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #918 on: 31 Mar , 2011, 16:48 »
Update for the Free-Flooding Vent patterns

► Made a few changes to the vents base on the better photographs of U-1105. (Top - Type VIIC/41's with the Alberich coating/Lower layer is the vent patterns for Type VIIC/41's).

Stern Vents

Bow Vents

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #919 on: 09 Apr , 2011, 16:33 »
Here a little bit of information on how the Germans fixed the steel plate to the casting of the U-boat, if people are keen to know.

While redrawing the correct bow for my Type VIIC/41 late month, I noted that my u-boat was short by about 60 mm (or a couple of millimetres at 1:32). I found my error in my base datum measurements. The ribbing should measure 500 mm but somehow my were approximately 5/1000 millimetres short  :o :o Over the 130 plus ribs is added up. I could have easy stretch the drawing to get the extra length I needed and no one would know (No one would have every noticed the drawing was 2 mm short anyway ;D). However, for me my drawing needs to be as near to 100% correct as I can get it, so I redrawn all 6000 plus rivets, all the ribbing and framing.

After nearly 40 hours of drawing, now all the ribbing frames etc... are correct to 1/1000  ;D ;D For the last 3 days I had been redrawing the keel. I noticed I had the incorrect number of rivets between the internal framing so I fix this also. While doing this I also notice several rows of double rivets. It looks like the Germans would rivets each steel plate to the internal framing. This made me think, as I never seen rows of double rivets on the casting. So I recheck the casting. It looks like on the casting the German used a different style to fix the steel plate. They would overlay the steel plate steel plate and then wield the plates together.

In this pictures you can see the rows double rivets on the keel.

In this pictures you can see the single rows rivets on the keel (green) and the overlap of the steel plate and the weild (red).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #920 on: 16 Apr , 2011, 15:58 »
Hi Simon,

Good work on these vents. I've seen very few photos of Alberich boats, hence why I never put them in the vent article. I'm pleased you've been able to establish the patterns.

Cheers,

Dougie

Hi Dougie

Here is my best guess what they did with the diesel air inlet vents on the main bridge casting. On one of the U-1105 photographs, there is a smaller, compacter, darker shape in the area of diesel air inlet vents. This could be evidence of a single larger oval vent this would furthermore match what they did with the free flooding vents of to reduce the number of vents and making them larger.

Simon

Fig. 1. The standard diesel air inlet vents on the main bridge casting for Type VIIC/41’s.

Fig. 2. The possible shape and size of the diesel air inlet vents on the main bridge casting for Type VIIC/41’s with the Alberich coating.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr , 2011, 16:01 by NZSnowman »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #921 on: 17 Apr , 2011, 02:28 »
This is where the Main Induction is on USN subs (the main air inlet for engines and everything), it was about 1 metre in dia under the casing. Assuming something similar here?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #922 on: 17 Apr , 2011, 12:37 »
Hi Simon,

I'm sure you're right about this vent - makes good sense. I've never seen a below the waterline photo of an Alberich boat, which would be good to see.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #923 on: 17 Apr , 2011, 18:33 »
Hi Simon,

I'm sure you're right about this vent - makes good sense. I've never seen a below the waterline photo of an Alberich boat, which would be good to see.

Cheers,

Dougie

I have four photographs of U-1105 with the Alberich coating on. One of photographs is of U-1105 in dry-dock (Seen in Revell Type VIIC/41 (Scale 1:72) - Instructions Sheets). The photograph is very useful, nevertheless, being a B&W photograph and having black tiles, most of small details is loss in the photograph. However, I am just thankful that we got some photographs to work from, as so many boats don

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #924 on: 24 Apr , 2011, 23:22 »
Does anyone have a picture or know that the Forward Towing Hook look likes, on the Type VIIB/C's?

reaper7

« Reply #925 on: 25 Apr , 2011, 05:59 »
Hi NZSnowman, just been going thru this thread and your doing amazing work.
Noticed all the Mediafire links are invalid (Invalid or Deleted File)  :-[ any chance of re-uploading them  ;D

Cheers Mate.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #926 on: 26 Apr , 2011, 17:44 »
Hi NZSnowman, just been going thru this thread and your doing amazing work.
Noticed all the Mediafire links are invalid (Invalid or Deleted File)  :-[ any chance of re-uploading them  ;D

Cheers Mate.

Hi reaper7

Thanks for the kind words.

I only used Mediafire when I start this thread, now I upload all the images to Imageshack. I have deleted some of the older files from Mediafire, but to just check you are see the Imageshack images but can not see the Mediafire images?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #927 on: 27 Apr , 2011, 16:29 »

Fig. 1. Early war Direction Finder Antenna Loops. The DF Loop on the right is a 'left behind' if the FuMB-26 Tunis was remove.

Fig. 2. Update: Late war Direction Finder Antenna Loop

While reworking the bridge of U-1308 this morning, I noticed a very small error in the drawing of the late war design of the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. The change are base on war time photographs of U-249.

Fig. 1. Made several small changes to the late war design of the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. Changes are base on war time photographs.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #928 on: 30 Apr , 2011, 15:50 »
I am trying to position the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. There seen to bit a of variations (I think :-\). I am after any pictures of this area of the boat with the bridge shelf and the Direction Finder Antenna Loop. In the picture below of U-249, it looks like the Direction Finder Antenna Loop cut into the bridge shelf, which I thought was usually because there enough room to add it so it does not cut into the bridge shelf.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-249PhotosPortland.htm

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #929 on: 30 Apr , 2011, 23:11 »
The crew of U-1308 are very happy today as they just acquire there shining new FuMO 61 Hohentwiel U radar. They are eager to try it out as soon as possible :)

While reworking the bridge of U-1308 today, I noticed the plans of the FuMO 61 Hohentwiel U do not match the war time photographs, so I rework the drawing to match the photographs. The drawing is now base on U-3037, U-3045 & U-3008.

Fig. 1. The FuMO 61 Hohentwiel U without the netting.

Fig. 2. The FuMO 61 Hohentwiel U within its radar aerial housing.

« Last Edit: 30 Apr , 2011, 23:13 by NZSnowman »