Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512055 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #795 on: 10 Jan , 2011, 02:16 »
Simon

I have got request - could you give me the distance of the
mine stop bolt (marked with red arrow) to the rear and fore end of torpedo tube?

--
Regads
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #796 on: 10 Jan , 2011, 08:39 »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #797 on: 10 Jan , 2011, 09:02 »

Thank you very much, Simon ;)

--
Regads
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #798 on: 13 Jan , 2011, 06:10 »
Hi Simon

► Also from below, the valve to the sea: Originally I was thinking this was only an inlet valve, but now I think it an inlet and out valve, is this correct?

Yes, the valve can take water from the sea as well as can be used to blow water from compensating tanks.

I have been thinking about this hull valve, and although there are no objections
towards 'bidirectional' valve (no stop- or check-valve), now I guess, that it was used as
intake only.

I am convinced, that pipe line leading to the compensating tank is installed as you
have drawn on below drawing - it ends at the top of the tank).

If so - the tank can not be empted by pressured air, and water can not be blown through the hull valve.
To accomplish it, the pipe should be led to the bottom of the tank (as the blue pipe
leading to the torpedo tube.

So the tanks had to be emptedy by means of drainage installation and main drain or auxilary drain/trimming pumps.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #799 on: 13 Jan , 2011, 21:19 »
Hi Maciek

I think you are right. If you look at Plate 11:  High pressure air system & Plate 12:  Low pressure or service air system there no air lines going to Compensating Tank 2 & 3. The only a air line is to the Forward Trim Tank (this is the air line you can see in P1100408.JPG :-\) On Plate 6:  Trimming, compensating and drainage system you can see the piping to drain Compensatings Tank 2 & 3.

I need to update the blue pipe, as I think I have make the diameter to big (I have it at 70 mm now but I starting to think it more like 60 mm) and I am almost certain it does not go through the Forward Trim Tank but long the top like is the picture (P1100408.JPG). I also need to add it to both starboard and port side of the boat.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #800 on: 14 Jan , 2011, 01:54 »
Hi Simon

I think you are right. If you look at Plate 11:  High pressure air system & Plate 12:  Low pressure or service air system there no air lines going to Compensating Tank 2 & 3. The only a air line is to the Forward Trim Tank (this is the air line you can see in P1100408.JPG :-\) On Plate 6:  Trimming, compensating and drainage system you can see the piping to drain Compensatings Tank 2 & 3.

In fact, there is connection from Low pressure or service air system
(=> torpedo compensating tanks 2 and 3) through the Ausgleicharmatur - look at
Plate 25:  Torpedo tube firing, venting, flooding and drainage systems - LP Air Distributor and through valves
(c2) and (v) to compensating tanks and valves (q) to torpedo tubes.

The water was moved from compensating tanks to torpedo tubes (and vice versa) by means of low pressurized air.
But water could leave the compensating tanks only through the blue pipe led down to the bottom of tank.

I need to update the blue pipe, as I think I have make the diameter to big (I have it at 70 mm now but I starting to think it more like 60 mm) and I am almost certain it does not go through the Forward Trim Tank but long the top like is the picture (P1100408.JPG). I also need to add it to both starboard and port side of the boat.

I agree with you about the blue pipe.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #801 on: 14 Jan , 2011, 13:23 »
Hi Maciek

I have a few questions

In plate 25, the air line to torpedo compensating tanks 2 and 3, would only be an overflow or overpressure line and could not be normally or never used to blow the water out of these tanks?

Why would you want to move water from the compensating tanks to torpedo tubes? Was it to equal the pressure the tube before opening the outer door?

Simon

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #802 on: 14 Jan , 2011, 15:20 »

In plate 25, the air line to torpedo compensating tanks 2 and 3, would only be an overflow or overpressure line and could not be normally or never used to blow the water out of these tanks?

This line was used to vent/overpressure the compensating tanks during flooding these tanks either
from sea or from torpedo tubes (when tubes were drained), or to blown water from compensating tanks
to torpedo tubes (but not to the sea).

Why would you want to move water from the compensating tanks to torpedo tubes?
Was it to equal the pressure the tube before opening the outer door?

That's right. To open outer (muzzle) torpedo tube door, the tube had to be flooded and
connected for a while with a sea to equalize the pressure.
To flood the tube, ~370 l of sea water had to be taken (per one tube). If there were
four tubes flooded, over 1 ton of water had to be taken.

To avoid such great change of boat's weight (which was carefully compensated previously),
the water previously stored in torpedo compensating tanks was used.
The water was blown to torpedo tubes by means of pressurized air.
Thus the weight of the boat was not changed, and the change of the trim
was relative small.

After launching the torpedo and closing, the tube was full of water. Then the water from tube
was blown by means of pressurized air to compenating tanks.

I tried to describe process of flooding and draining the tubes in the following text
http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/component/option,com_flexicontent/Itemid,76/cid,66/id,337/view,items
paragraph 2. Torepedo tube flooding and drainage installation

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #803 on: 14 Jan , 2011, 23:45 »
Hi Maciek

On Plate 11:  High pressure air system, http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate11.htm do you know where is pressure hull valve A1 for the high pressure air bank 6 is?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #804 on: 15 Jan , 2011, 14:48 »
Hello

I think that this is valve marked as (v) o the diagram

(source: http://uboatarchive.net/U-570DesignBook.htm)

This is valve used to select which torpedo compensating tank 2 or 3 is to be used to flood/drain the tubes.

I was wrong guesing this valve - for sure it can not be this one marked as (v).
I have an idea, what can it be, but I have to do some more researches to make sure.

On Plate 11:  High pressure air system, http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate11.htm do you know where is pressure hull valve A1 for the high pressure air bank 6 is?

Simon, it's hard to locate it, but I'm working on it :)

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #805 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 18:18 »
Hi Maciek

Does tube II & IV drain into Compensating Tank 2 and tube I & III drain into Compensating Tank 3?

Simon

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #806 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 18:42 »

Simon, it's hard to locate it, but I'm working on it :)

--
Regards
Maciek

Maciek, I found it!!! ;D ;D I will post pictures soon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #807 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 21:13 »
Hi Maciek

I was able to found the valves and filters for high pressure air bank 4, 5 & 6.

Fig. 1. Plate 11:  High pressure air system. (www.uboatarchive.net)

Fig. 2. Port side bulkhead. HP bank 6 - Valve A1 with filter.

Fig. 3. Starboard side bulkhead. HP bank 4 & 5 - Valve D's with the two filters.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #808 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 22:46 »

High pressure air bank 4 and 5.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #809 on: 18 Jan , 2011, 06:53 »
There was a program on TV just last week about the Japanese mini-subs that were sent to attack Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 that deals with the buoyancy compensation when firing a torpedo.

There were 5 subs sent in on the attack and historians can account for what happened to only 4 of the subs.  These boats were either destroyed or washed ashore before they could attack.

However, they always wondered what happened to the 5th boat and the program was about what evidence they had that it might have succeeded in firing both its torpedoes.

I won