Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512065 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #751 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 03:23 »
Hello

I was wondering have you seen any information for either magnetic or gyro compass for the Gato? I been looking for information for the U-boat but not having much luck :(

Some time ago we have discussed magnetic projection compass installation.
I would like to supplement some informations (taken from "Submarine Design" by Urlich Gabler).
Until World War II, projection-type magnetic compasses were used as backup. These compasses were installed above the pressure hull in a nonmagneticzone with a spheric radius of about 1 m. Image transmission into the pressure hull was accomplished by lenses and prisms, and the image was projected onto a ground-glass plate. Submarine magnetic compasses cannot be adjusted accurately because of the interference caused by the heavy currents in the electrical networks and by the long pressure hull.

Back to the gyro-compasses - these ones used on german U-Boats were made by Anschutz, and were different than these used by Allies.
I do not have exact description of such compass, but from sources below you can find out how it looked and worked.

http://www.archive.org/details/anschutzgyrocom00ansciala - description of Anschutz systems used before WWII.

In Type IXC Design Study (http://uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm):
The gyro compass is of the Anschuetz bell type, which has been manufactured and installed commercially for many years.

Description of the gyro-compass from British Report on HMS Graph (http://uboatarchive.net/U-570BritishReport.htm)

An Anschutz gyro-compass equipment of normal type is fitted.  The sensitive element is in the form of a sphere containing two gyros and a sealed damping trough.  The sphere is completely immersed in an acidulated water-glycerine mixture of suitable density to make it nearly but not quite buoyant, and it is supported inside the follow-up member by the repulsion effect of a coil inside the sphere carrying A-C current.  The 3-phase supply to the gyro rotors is taken through the liquid between conducting polar caps and an equatorial band.  Water is circulated from a tank through cooling coils in the compass bowl by means of a pump.  Follow-up is controlled by the difference of the liquid resistance path between two electrodes in the follow-up member and the edges of the centre band of the equatorial electrode on the sphere.  This difference controls a valve amplifier, the output of which drives a motor and transmitter.  The transmitter supplies a repeater motor on the compass drives the follow-up member.  Transmission is of the A-C type at 50 volts, 50 cycles, somewhat similar to Magslip or Selsyn, but the repeater motor makes one revolution per degree and is therefore comparable as regard torque with an "M" type motor.  In all A-C systems, however, the repeater load reacts on the transmitter and thus limits the maximum load which can be accepted.    
            The amplifier and control equipment in this installation has been fitted all in two boxes, thus reducing the overall sizes compared with ordinary Anschutz equipment.    
            A prism sight has been fitted at the window of the compass bowl to allow convenient observation of the sphere itself and a bracket close by to secure to steering gear, so that the ship can be steered by the compass, although the follow-up is not in operation.    
            A pressure resistant azimuth repeater is fitted on the bridge, and has a window about 4 in. diameter through which can be seen a cyclometer type dial giving the course in degrees, a circular dial giving 10
« Last Edit: 21 Dec , 2010, 07:48 by SnakeDoc »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #752 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 11:43 »
Thanks again, Maciek.

I found this picture of the gyro on the net but I can not rememeber where.

« Last Edit: 21 Dec , 2010, 11:13 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #753 on: 20 Dec , 2010, 22:36 »
Hi Maciek

Do you know how the aft torpedo tube is fixed to the pressure hull?

Simon

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #754 on: 21 Dec , 2010, 00:57 »
Simon

Do you know how the aft torpedo tube is fixed to the pressure hull?

Maybe this helps...

source: u-995.com

source:  http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/component/option,com_flexicontent/Itemid,76/cid,66/id,337/view,items

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #755 on: 21 Dec , 2010, 01:31 »
Thanks Maciek! It is the same way as the bow :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #756 on: 21 Dec , 2010, 01:57 »
Thanks Maciek! It is the same way as the bow :)

After a second look there a very small different on how the outer tube is bolted on to the pressure hull. I will hopley post drawings toworrow.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #757 on: 21 Dec , 2010, 04:54 »
gryos (whether compass or guidance or science toy) are VERY cool, and they seemed to use them effectively in the 1930s. Very interesting stuff!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #758 on: 21 Dec , 2010, 15:34 »
Hi Maciek

In Drawing 1 "Torpedo tube flooding and drainage installation" where is drain valve (i)? Is it the valve next (right) of the piston in Photo 3 "Aft torpedo tube on U-995"? 

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #759 on: 22 Dec , 2010, 02:34 »
Simon

In Drawing 1 "Torpedo tube flooding and drainage installation" where is drain valve (i)? Is it the valve next (right) of the piston in Photo 3 "Aft torpedo tube on U-995"?  

Unfortunately, I cannot find any good, clear picture showing the drain valve of aft tube - it is covered by the piston.
The most clearer ist that:

(source: http://jaegers.net/index.php?id=53&L=1%27%60%28%5B%7B%5E%7E)

But if you look at the photo 16

you will see that arrangements is similar or even the same as for forward tubes, so the vavle must be
at the same place.

--
Regards
Maciek
« Last Edit: 22 Dec , 2010, 03:09 by SnakeDoc »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #760 on: 22 Dec , 2010, 03:25 »
Thanks Maciek.

I am afraid there going to be lots more questions for you, as I have just started to drawing the piping to the tubes  ;D ;)

I was able to locate the drain valve (i) in Photo 4. Forward torpedo room on U-190  it is the 3-way valve under the cut-off valves (g) You can just made out the three pipes. You can see it also clearly in Photo 11. Forward torpedo room on U-995 (below)

Below is a close-up of the 3-way valve.

So this makes me believe this valve is on the starboard size of the aft tube, somewhere behind the open hatch door of Photo 3. Aft torpedo tube on U-995

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #761 on: 23 Dec , 2010, 10:37 »
Hi Pat

There a few stringer throughout the Type VII. I am trying to figure out if they run along the hull or span the full width of the hull. In general, do stringers run just next to the hull or do most usually span across the whole hull?

Simon

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #762 on: 28 Dec , 2010, 23:02 »
I'd have to know more information about this stringer.  Is this one on the pressure hull or just in the casing?

If it's in the PH, it would probably run the entire length of the boat.  As the purpose of a stringer is basically to keep the correct spacing of the ribs and add some strength, there'd be no point in putting it in unless it went the entire length.

However, if it's a stringer in the casing, then I'd have to know where in the casing you're talking about.  Because the casing of a U-boat is a sort of add-on, it's possible for the stringer to be only partial length.  It might stop when the side of the casing meets the PH, or it might go the whole length, or it might only be a partial strengthener for a limited section of the casing. 

I can see on the outside of the casing, a double line of rivets that look like they might be the attachment of a stringer running just under the free-flow holes both fore and aft, but it looks like it stops when it meets the saddle tank.  Is that where you're talking about?

Usually a stringer will be added inside the ribs, but it's possible in some constructs for it to be faired into the ribs, especially in a U-boat casing where the ribs are thicker than normal.

In surface ships, a stringer is also commonly a point where an interior deck attaches, in which case it depends on the deck locations whether it goes the length of the hull or not.  However, obviously that's not a consideration for a U-boat casing, since the only decks are inside the PH or the top of the casing.  However, it's possible for there to be a stringer inside the PH to be used for attaching the deck.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #763 on: 30 Dec , 2010, 20:57 »
Hi Pat

Thanks for the information about the stringers. I was starting to get the additional information about the stringers for you when I noticed on plans they only run along the casting, so I answered my own question. I have found four stringers so far, two in the bow and other two in the stern. They range from approximately 1 to 4 m long. They are only single rivets (see below). Below is you can see the two stern stringers locations on U-995. Also from Westwood's you can see they only run along the side. Still trying to figaure out how they are fix to the casting.

Pictures from U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

Image from The Type VII U-Boat (Anatomy of the Ship)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #764 on: 01 Jan , 2011, 13:14 »
Does anyone have any pictures of the bow plating? I am trying it get a view of the outlet valve at the bow.

Thanks, Simon.