Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512117 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #630 on: 20 Oct , 2010, 12:33 »
Hi Dougie

Many thanks for the picture  :) :)

It looks to me like a lattice of Arc welding lines to me. I have seem this at work there they Arc welding lines in a mesh hatching pattern to a excavator buckets to slow down the wearing down of it (see picture below). It look like the Germans used the same system on this tread plate, to add grip for standing and to slow wear of the plate  :-\

Simon

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: 20 Oct , 2010, 13:27 »
Hi Simon,

Yeah, the lattice on your photo looks the same as the U-boat photo. Notice that the UZO plate isn't entirely round. There is a semi-circular chunk missing (near the top right of the photo).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #632 on: 20 Oct , 2010, 13:47 »
Dougie, yes, I did notice the notch, but now that you made me think a little more about it. I seen this before on a few boat. I will have to recheck my pictures and see if there a pattern to this.

Also I just notice that the deck is metal. I sure they move to wood near the end of the war :-\

LE BOSCO

« Reply #633 on: 21 Oct , 2010, 14:30 »
Hi Simon

On the photo(U-635)It is of the anti-skid striated sheet steel !not in arc welding ,The features are too regular
I am metallic carpenter of formation (and locksmith, blacksmith now)
regards
Nico

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #634 on: 21 Oct , 2010, 14:52 »
Hi Nicolas,

You are correct about the features being very regular for wielding. Relooking at the picture, even the thickness of the lines are very regular.  One question rises, how did they add the anti-skid pattern, do the roll in the pattern while the steel is hot?

Simon

LE BOSCO

« Reply #635 on: 21 Oct , 2010, 15:01 »
the roll in the pattern while the steel is hot?

Simon

yes Simon

The sheet of steel , in the red ,is spent between two rollers, among which one with the negative of striated !  As with a mould has waffle :D
Nicolas

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #636 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 11:32 »
Just wanted to say hi Simon!  Its been a while since my last post.  I had a very busy racing season in road cycling and did not get online much between the beginning of April and now.  You drawings are top notch as always.  How did the ski season go in NZ?

Ernest

I had little time this week to work on U-1308 as I am busy writing my end of winter weather report. Yesterday I got to the point that I need a break, so I decided to reinstall an old computer game

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #637 on: 23 Oct , 2010, 16:55 »
Funny stuff! Not as nice as yours, but not bad for a game1
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #638 on: 24 Oct , 2010, 06:07 »
NZ, you can't escape from studying a u-boat plan ! Even in your game  ;D ;D ;D
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #639 on: 25 Oct , 2010, 00:18 »
Hi Simon, sounds like NZ had a mega-winter like Germany's past winter.  The winter of 09-10 had the most snow since 1979-80.  I hope we get a fair amount of snow this year also, as I want to try out snowshoeing as a fitness sport.  We shall see. 

Funny how games sometimes remind us of projects we are working on.  ;D

All the Best,
Ernest

Just wanted to say hi Simon!  Its been a while since my last post.  I had a very busy racing season in road cycling and did not get online much between the beginning of April and now.  You drawings are top notch as always.  How did the ski season go in NZ?

Ernest

I had little time this week to work on U-1308 as I am busy writing my end of winter weather report. Yesterday I got to the point that I need a break, so I decided to reinstall an old computer game

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #640 on: 27 Oct , 2010, 02:53 »
Does anyone know what colour the fuel oil was on the U-Boats?

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #641 on: 27 Oct , 2010, 03:21 »
Hi Simon

Does anyone know what colour the fuel oil was on the U-Boats?

Maybe this helps:
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/usnavy-europe_toc.htm

better than nothing...

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #642 on: 27 Oct , 2010, 06:52 »
Where in the list does it give the colour of the diesel SnakeDoc?

Perhaps it might help Simon, if we knew why you wnated the colour of the diesel fuel.  Like most transparent liquids, it would appear different depending on how it's being viewed (through a clear hose or looking inside a deep tank) or how long it's been sitting (older fuel tends to get darker with age).

My guess is that it would be about the same colour as diesel fuel is today.  That is to say that there would be some variation depending on the manufacturer and what colouration they might be intentionally adding to it.

The diesel I've gotten for my boat seems to vary from almost colourless with a slight hint of amber or yellow) at some gas stations (say at Shell for example) to a darker, almost honey-coloured liquid at others (Esso for example) but I've really never paid it much attention.  Most of the time I only see it if I spill it, since it goes directly into the container from the hose and then into the fuel tank on the boat, hopefully never seeing the light of day.  It's an awful smell, as I found out when I spilled a couple of litres in my bilge more than a decade ago and it took about 5 or 6 years to get the smell out of the boat, even using all sorts of environmental cleansing agents.

SnakeDoc's link mentions Kogasin, which I presume must be a smei-synthetic distillate of crude oil having a  iodine in it, which might give it a darker tint, but I'd guess that if you use a honey colour, you'd be about right.   Keeping in mind that "honey" is also a vague term for colour, since honey can vary from almost clear to a dark amber, so in it would be just about right.

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #643 on: 27 Oct , 2010, 07:25 »
Where in the list does it give the colour of the diesel SnakeDoc?

Well,
"Technical Report No.333-45: German Naval Fuel Oil"
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/tech_rpt_333_45/Report-333-45.pdf
on page 11 there is a table "Properties of german fuel oil components" with first row labeled as color (in Ostwald color system).

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #644 on: 27 Oct , 2010, 08:30 »
To forestall another allegations - it seems that to get final color described by index "10" there is needed "Color harmony manual" by Egbert Jacobson, Walter C. Granville and Carl E. Foss.

--
Regards
Maciek