Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512156 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #570 on: 03 Aug , 2010, 20:41 »
Wink, the colours are still the same with the diagram of the UT, but at least it comes through clearly.  That's better than some of the pix on some of the other threads.  Ie. "Work in Progress", I only get the top few mm of each picture.  Not enough to see what it's all about.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #571 on: 03 Aug , 2010, 20:58 »
Simon, re the question about the small shelf under the voicepipe and telegraph etc., not sure because of course Revell has been know to get things wrong in the past, but in the Revell Type VII C/41, 1:72 model, the shelf is there.

What isn't there is the vertical kickplate(?) underneath the shelf.

From my own experience at sea, I think also the shelf ABOVE the voicepipe/instruments was possibly an add-on that skippers might have installed to keep water from washing over the instruments and making them hard to read. 

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: 04 Aug , 2010, 14:41 »
Hi Simon,

The small shelf under the telegraphs/voicepipe was there on VIIBs and VIICs. I think this shelf continued to be used on VIIC/41s as well. Although I don't have photographic evidence of this shelf on VIIC/41s, the fact that U 995 had this shelf may suggest it was used on VIIC/41s?

Pat - you are correct about the shelf ABOVE the telegraphs/voicepipe. The early VIICs didn't have this feature. I can't recall offhand when it was fitted to the U-boat fleet but I'm thinking 1942 or 1943 or so.

Simon, the side step on the inside of the tower would be metal, I think. You are right to mention about the pattern of the diamond plate. The VIICs (and maybe all the VIIC/41 too?) all had the "original" type of plate with raised dots.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #573 on: 09 Aug , 2010, 15:57 »
Dougie, you are correct about the

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #574 on: 10 Aug , 2010, 03:28 »
some museums go to much more trouble than others to preserve Period Correctness and accuracy...sorry to see less than a certain quality changes
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #575 on: 10 Aug , 2010, 12:26 »
Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting the photos, particularly the second one. I hadn't realised that this other type was used inside the boats.

That fancy new flooring in your third pic doesn't look prototypical :)

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #576 on: 11 Aug , 2010, 01:04 »
It sad to think of U-995 as the last Type VII, as an inaccuracy part of history :( :( You would think they could get funding from the Germen Navy, to bring her back to what she look like at the end of WWII. It the only Type VII above the surface out of +700.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #577 on: 12 Aug , 2010, 00:46 »
I don't think that the german navy/ goverment will "waste" money on a military monument of that time. political correctness. germany does not feel easy at all when it comes to anything connected with the nazi time. which is o.k., don't You think?

U-995 is a monument for all those who died, it's sort of a monument on a graveyard. let's be thankfull that it's there at all!

edit:
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/geschichte_me.htm

interesting: the german site talks about the funding problems (no funding from official sides at all as I suspected), but they seem to skip that on the english translation..................mmmh............

edit 2:
but on the other hand we like to "keep our traditions running": not at least our U-boot exports make us the 3. largest nation when it comes to military exports.....................................

« Last Edit: 12 Aug , 2010, 00:53 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #578 on: 12 Aug , 2010, 10:18 »
I don't think that the german navy/ goverment will "waste" money on a military monument of that time. political correctness. germany does not feel easy at all when it comes to anything connected with the nazi time. which is o.k., don't You think?

U-995 is a monument for all those who died, it's sort of a monument on a graveyard. let's be thankfull that it's there at all!

Rabapla, you make some very good point! There are things I did not think about at the time.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #579 on: 20 Aug , 2010, 22:58 »

The atteck periscope (middle); the FuMB-9 Wanze (left) and the FuMB-35 Athos (right) (both passive radar detection) with pictures of U-249.

A small update for U-1308, a more correct FuMB-9 Wanze head.

« Last Edit: 20 Aug , 2010, 23:05 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #580 on: 23 Aug , 2010, 17:56 »
The crew of U-1308 are very happy today as they just acquire there shining new FuMO 61 Hohentwiel U radar. They are eager to try it out as soon as possible :)

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #581 on: 23 Aug , 2010, 20:07 »
VERY nice shematic Simon.  Do you have the profile and plan as well?  I've had a wonder about what the bottom of the array looks like.

A couple of things perhaps of interest.

While I was looking up the 37mm FlaK for Le Bosco, I came across a site with comments from the Germans that apparently the admiralty had a great deal of trouble getting U-boat commanders to actually use their radar sets.  The problem was that after the problems with the 'Biscay Cross' detectors, U-boaters came to believe that the Allies had radar detectors that could locate any German radar sets in use and vector in aircraft.  They didn't trust command assurances that German radar operated on different wavelengths and preferred to use their passive detectors (which had a longer range anyway) rather than transmitting a signal that might be intercepted.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the URL but if you search on 37mm FlaK, you might be able to come up with the same site that I'd found about equipment.

The second little tidbit of interest is that one of my neighbours recently got fed up with paying for TV cable and satellite, and went back to the idea of an antenna.  When I saw the antenna, I couldn't believe it.  It was almost exactly like the radar receiver you have pictured above.  The major differences were that it had quadrolpoles instead of dipoles, and the frame had only the horizontal bars with a central pole and not the vertical bars on the sides like the German set.  But if you mounted it on a lifesized U-boat replica, only people such as ourselves with more than a passing interest in detail would notice that it wasn't the same.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #582 on: 23 Aug , 2010, 23:50 »
Hi Pat

You are right about U-boat commanders not keen on using there radar sets. In all the books I have read, not one of them has said they used them.

I have not drawn the other views yet, will do them later.

LE BOSCO

« Reply #583 on: 24 Aug , 2010, 09:48 »

NZSnowman

Your work is amazing!You are really a big artist and your work is a real source of inspiration, so much you are precise in details!!
Thank you for sharing!

....While I was looking up the 37mm FlaK for Le Bosco,......
Pat I would not like to make you work in hours of overtime (I do not pay them :D :D :D ;))
Best regards
Nicolas

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #584 on: 27 Aug , 2010, 06:11 »
Hi Simon,

Nice work on the Hohentwiel and other recent drawings. There are two photos on Ebay that might help you with the Askania magnetic compass fairing.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-U-Boot-957-Bergen-Norwegen-Soldaten-Kpt-Schaar-/380261057484?pt=Militaria#ht_2332wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-U-Boot-957-Bergen-Norwegen-Soldaten-Kpt-Schaar-/380261057495?pt=Militaria#ht_2341wt_911

The first photo shows the trailing edge quite well.

Cheers,

Dougie