Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512124 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #510 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 02:21 »
Have you got the labels or descriptions of all dials you have drawn?

OK, I have found what I need.
http://www.pbase.com/kevbelcher/image/74885787

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #511 on: 02 Jun , 2010, 13:45 »
Hi Maciek

I try to post last night before going to bed but my internet stop working :(

Here is a clearer picture of U-995 TDC also. Not sure if this will be important to you but I base my drawing of the TDC from U-505 as I initial thought that there were two different TDC on a U-boat and I want to base my drawing of the TDC from the CT. Now I know there is only one aboard each boat.

It look like a Type IX TDC are vertical and the Type VII’s are horizon :) That is why my is vertical (I will change my back at a later date).

« Last Edit: 02 Jun , 2010, 14:42 by NZSnowman »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #512 on: 03 Jun , 2010, 00:30 »
Hello Simon

Here is a clearer picture of U-995 TDC also. Not sure if this will be important to you but I base my drawing of the TDC from U-505 as I initial thought that there were two different TDC on a U-boat and I want to base my drawing of the TDC from the CT. Now I know there is only one aboard each boat.

It look like a Type IX TDC are vertical and the Type VII

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #513 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 02:49 »
The French dock workers are extremely happy today as the keel for U-1308 was laid and finish today :) :) this include all 1,461 rivets ;D ;D

The French dock workers are working extremely hard this week, as they know the shipyard will be closing in about 2 weeks for the winter. This week they finish the wooden deck, added the bow casting with the torpedo doors and added the new Balcon Ger

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #514 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 06:38 »
The French dock workers are working extremely hard this week, as they know the shipyard will be closing in about 2 weeks for the winter...and added the new Balcon Ger
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #515 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 17:13 »
Hi Pat

Here a question for you, I am sure you will know. Why are

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #516 on: 04 Jun , 2010, 21:51 »
Stringer is a term probably as old as shipbuilding.  In wooden ship and boat building, stringers have always been horizontal beams (or lathes in boats) on the inside of the ribs used to tie or "string together" the ribs so as to keep their spacing and thus strengthen the hull.

When you build a boat, it takes considerable time to attach all the planks along the ribs to close up the hull and if there was nothing to hold the top of the ribs in place during this process, the twisting forces of the bent planks would pull the ribs out of alignment.  But if there's a stringer placed first every so often along the ribs, it keeps the spacing for the ribs.

After the outside of the hull is finished, the stringers are left in for added strength and can also be landing points for the edges of decks (or in small boats, thwarts or seats)

In U-boats of course, there are no longer any planks, but stringers are still useful to keep the ribs of the casing aligned and provide strongpoints for attachment to the pressure hull and for other pieces of equipment and bracing for the deck.  Without the stringers, the casing might have a tendency to twist in the forward and aft parts that extend beyond the pressure hull.  This could create a problem especially in the bow where the outer torpedo tube doors have to move.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #517 on: 06 Jun , 2010, 12:23 »
Does anyone know the diameter of the Torpedos tube ???

I am thinking around 561mm = (533mm + 2 x (the steel looks like 12mm + 2mm free ride))

Just found that the inside diameter of the U.S. Navy 21 in torpedoes tube are 21.125 in, which is 536.6, that only leaves about 3 mm clearness between the tube and torpedo. If the German torpedoe tubes are similar to the U.S. it look like my previous diameters may be very near.

The Fleet Type Submarine Online 21-Inch Submerged Torpedo Tubes http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/tubes/index.htm

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #518 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 04:11 »
Does anyone know the diameter of the Torpedos tube ???

I am thinking around 561mm = (533mm + 2 x (the steel looks like 12mm + 2mm free ride))

Simon,

Maybe : http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/UTorpedos.htm

Laurent...
« Last Edit: 07 Jun , 2010, 11:12 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #519 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 15:39 »
Thanks, Pepper. This link has helped it all come together for me  :) :) :) :) :) I had the correct German values for the torpedo tube for sometime now but my German to English translation was bad and I miss understand the meaning. It look like they are 7752 mm long and still checking the diameter meaning.

Seewolf, that is Hecketorpedorohr? I get Hedge torpedo pipe but this look wrong.

Here the full text if this helps.

Das boot ist mit 4 Bugtorpedorohren und einem Hecketorpedorohr von 553.6  mm Durchmesser und 7752 mm L

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #520 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 16:42 »
Bugtorpedorohren / Hecketorpedorohr

I think it's :
Bugtorpedorohren : Bow torpedo tubes
hecktorpedorohr : Stern torpedo tube

link : http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTBNotesArmament.htm   @Torpedo and Mine Vocabulary  B & H section

;)
« Last Edit: 07 Jun , 2010, 17:00 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #521 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 17:03 »
Thanks Pepper  :) :)

It also look like the 553.6 mm diameter is the inside diameter of the torpedo tube. This would examine the large clearness between the torpedo and tube that is on display at Laboe Naval Memorial. It looks like the Kriegsmarine went for a larger clearness between the tube and torpedo compare to the U.S. Navy.

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #522 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 17:16 »
You're welcome ! I love torpedos and torpedorohre ;D

2cm difference : like a bullet in a barrel (the difference is the water instead of the air) ; when the water fills the tube, the torpedo floats and slides on the water along the rohr... Lubrification...

« Last Edit: 08 Jun , 2010, 01:45 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #523 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 19:41 »
Simon is sad :'( :'( as he has just realise for the last three days he been drawing the starboard bow torpedo tube and not the port torpedo tube ::) ::).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #524 on: 07 Jun , 2010, 23:31 »

Fig. 1. Outer Torpedo Tube No. 2.

Fig. 2. Outer Torpedo Tube within Bow Diving Tank.

* Large rod that runs along the top of the torpedo tube is the control arm for opening/closing outer/inter torpedo doors.
* Smaller rod is unknown to me, I think set something near the torpedo warhead :-\
* Large pipe (right) at top of torpedo tube is used to let sea water in.
* Oil lines to bearing, I believe run to upper deck, as there no evidence that they go back into the Pressure Hull & there no access into the Bow Diving Tank. I am thinking they run up to around Frame 96 (which is near the end of wooden deck) as there a hatch in is area.