Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512255 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #315 on: 08 Jan , 2010, 16:13 »
Thank you Simon.  The galley was painted the same interior color as the rest of the uboot.  The upper portion, the part above the blue in your drawing was painted RAL9001, which was an ivory white tone.  The lower hull, the blue in your drawing, was RAL 9002 Greywhite.

Ernest

I have not research that the original colour (sorry color for you other people  ;) ;D ) of the galley. Would be nice to know that is the original colour was.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #316 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 08:41 »
Simon, it's not that I haven't been trying to post those pix for you, but when I tried to sign up to the hosting site, it all went well until the end.  The confirmation email didn't come.

I still haven't received the confirmation email so that I can get started and when I tried a second time, it said that it already had another member with that email so I couldn't register again.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #317 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 08:51 »
Does anybody know what the colour of the deck in U-boats? 

Looking in through the main CT hatch, the deck, ladder and some of the equip on the bulkheads will be visible in my model. 

Photos of the inside of U-995 show the bulkheads as white as well as most of the piping and wiring, with the equipment being various colours depending on use and wheels being either red or black.  The ladder is black, although I've seen it bare metal in other sources and white in still others.

But I don't recal seeing anything about the deck.

Anybody have other information?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #318 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 11:35 »
Hi Pat, the interior decks were painted RAL 9002 Grauweiss, with exceptions for things like the walkway between the engines which was left plain metal.  UbootWaffe painting orders were for the upper part of the inner hull to be painted RAL 9003 Signalweiss; however, the color was actually much closer to RAL 9001 Elfenbeinweiss.  You right about ladders being painted different colors; it seems they were often painted at the discretion of the uboat commander.

Ernest     

Looking in through the main CT hatch, the deck, ladder and some of the equip on the bulkheads will be visible in my model. 

Photos of the inside of U-995 show the bulkheads as white as well as most of the piping and wiring, with the equipment being various colours depending on use and wheels being either red or black.  The ladder is black, although I've seen it bare metal in other sources and white in still others.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #319 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 11:53 »

Photos of the inside of U-995 show the bulkheads as white as well as most of the piping and wiring, with the equipment being various colours depending on use and wheels being either red or black.  The ladder is black, although I've seen it bare metal in other sources and white in still others.

There are very few pictures of the original deck of U-995, or I think most of the original deck of U-995 has been replace over time. The few pictures I have seen of the original deck are in the Galley, CT and Engine room, In the Galley it is painted black however, unsure if it was painted black by the Kriegsmarine or the Royal Norwegian Navy. The other place I have seen good pictures the original deck of U-995 was in the CT, here is also painted black, with small drain holes (about 20mm). All the deck plate had the same deck plate pattern.  

It looks like Ernest got the right answer for you  :)
« Last Edit: 09 Jan , 2010, 11:55 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #320 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 12:05 »
Simon, it's not that I haven't been trying to post those pix for you, but when I tried to sign up to the hosting site, it all went well until the end.  The confirmation email didn't come.

I still haven't received the confirmation email so that I can get started and when I tried a second time, it said that it already had another member with that email so I couldn't register again.

I know how you are feeling, I hate it when confirmation email didn't come >:( The only thing I can think of that this time is to go to the Login page and click the 'Forgot Password' link, they may send you a new one.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #321 on: 11 Jan , 2010, 21:59 »
Thanks for the information Greif. I had a look at my U-995 by Eckard Wetzel and there one picture of the galley and it painted in RAL9001 & RAL 9002 :)

Thank you Simon.  The galley was painted the same interior color as the rest of the uboot.  The upper portion, the part above the blue in your drawing was painted RAL9001, which was an ivory white tone.  The lower hull, the blue in your drawing, was RAL 9002 Greywhite.

Ernest

I have not research that the original colour (sorry color for you other people  ;) ;D ) of the galley. Would be nice to know that is the original colour was.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #322 on: 24 Jan , 2010, 12:16 »

Does anyone know if the keel of the Type VII is solid or made up of frames?

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #323 on: 24 Jan , 2010, 14:34 »
       Simon...I do recall seeing some photos of the keel, Sorry I don't recall where, but they were of hatches/access doors that were open on the keel.
                  Inside were large blocks of ballast, probably iron or steel.
                                                   Cheers/Regards..Bill

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #324 on: 24 Jan , 2010, 18:23 »
Yes, I have also see this picture and also can't recall where, but I think it was a Type IX. I seen and have a few good pictures of the keels of the Type IX but I never seen in detail a Type VII keel :( That is why I was thinking it maybe solid :-\
« Last Edit: 25 Jan , 2010, 12:22 by NZSnowman »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #325 on: 25 Jan , 2010, 15:52 »
same for me, sure I've seen a pic. I THINK it's solid (or solid from big chunks) for weight.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #326 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 21:54 »
Just a guess, but the standard material for ballast keels is lead.  They want the heaviest but cheapest material they can get to take up the least amount of space while lowering the centre of gravity so the boat rolls less.  It would definitely not be iron as that would corrode too quickly, and not likely steel because it isn't heavy enough and they need it more elsewhere.

If there are access hatches to the keel, that sounds like they might want to at least inspect it once in a while for corrosion and to clean out the limber holes so that any water will drain to a sump where it can be pumped out.  The limber holes on many ships often have a small chain running for and aft that could be pulled to drag out any gunk that got stuck in the holes, blocking the free flow of water.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #327 on: 27 Jan , 2010, 23:07 »

While looking at the keel of U-995, I noted 3 small holes in the Pressure Hull. There are over 80 holes in Pressure Hull in the Control Room. I was wondering what other people think about these small holes are for :-\ Could they be used for the Depth gauges or Speed indicator ???, or just for a sigin ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #328 on: 29 Jan , 2010, 01:37 »

Lime-water was used as a acid neutralizing system for the battery compartments. To make lime water was it made with fresh water or can it be made with sea water?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #329 on: 30 Jan , 2010, 15:55 »
Drainage System

Step 1: Engine Room Drainage System (in red) from Design and Specification Books, Volume M, a original German plans from U-570.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm

Step 2: Original German plans.

Step 3: My Drawing