Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512398 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #1215 on: 26 Feb , 2014, 03:56 »
Simon.
I cannot find the cable hull openings either, but for sure the U 995 had a radar detection antenna on top of the schnorchel and some wires had to go into the pressurehull possibly near the sonar/ radioroom.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1216 on: 26 Feb , 2014, 20:20 »
Tore, do you have any idea what the horizontal locking mechanism for the schnorchel look like? Does it look like anything below?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1217 on: 26 Feb , 2014, 23:41 »
Hi Simon!
Sign of life from Africa.
The usual high quality of the drawings,but I have a few remarks. If we return to the original U 995 version having the schnorkel installed in March -April 1945 you see the sketch of same below.
Of course you are aware of the lockingpins in upright and lowered position.
Knowing your interest for details I shall point out the schnorkel position indicator placed in the forward controlroom, see photo and don`t be confused by the red drain cock on the voicepipe. The double indicatorpointers are very much like some pointers on boardvalves.

I have still avoided the lions ;D
Tore

Tore, how does the schnorkel position indicator work and that does the mechanism look like?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1218 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 00:45 »
Simon.
I cannot remember exactly but I have made a sketch indicating how I believe it is. When the mast is in upright position it needs a firm locking and a screwed pin is used operated by a handwheel in the controlroom. In downright position you just lock it in the horizontal position by a lever in the wardroom. You see photos of both the handwheel and the lever on the sketch below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1219 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 01:18 »
Simon.
I cannot remember exactly but I have made a sketch indicating how I believe it is. When the mast is in upright position it needs a firm locking and a screwed pin is used operated by a handwheel in the controlroom. In downright position you just lock it in the horizontal position by a lever in the wardroom. You see photos of both the handwheel and the lever on the sketch below.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

I initially thought the "downright position" mechanism would look the way you have sketched it. But if you look at U-766 from 1961 (French submarine Laubie - S610) and U-325 during September 1943 you can see a large flat tab with an opening for a pin.

Did you think U-766 and U-325 is an original German deigns and U-995 is an updated Norwegian Navy deign?

To me the U-995 deign seen the must simple and better deign.

U-766

U-325

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1220 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 02:09 »
Simon.
Again I cannot remember accurately the indicator design, but i made a sketch how I assume it could be.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1221 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 02:17 »
Simon.
I guess the U 995 lockingpin execution is the original and probably the latest design ( installed March-April 1945), but as you know from previous discussions there are various execution particulary the rodconnection to the upper lockingpin.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #1222 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 06:26 »
Hi Gentlemen,

Simon, Schnorchel on Laubie was installed in the middle of 1948. I believe, that it was taken from German supplies, which left in the French naval bases after war, so I believe, it was rather late version. I have attached some pictures of Laubie with Schnorchel. In this time, the shape of the conning tower was changed - from the Turmumbau IV configuration, French removed the after, lower platform.

Your second pictures present U-235 in October 1943, in Germaniaweft (see UAK symbol on the connnig tower). Moreover, U-325 was launched in March 1944, so she could not have installed Schnorchel in November 1943.
Schnorchel installed on U-235 was one of the earliest versions - was lowered and risen by means of cable winch.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1223 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 07:51 »
Simon.
Schnorchel lockingpin.
May be the construction require a more detailed explanation. In upright position  the upper part of the rod is threaded and goes into the the lockingpin lowerpart having a bore with internal threads. When the rod rotates it moves the lockingpin up and down. It does not rotates because either the pin is square or in case of a round pin it has a pin in a slot, I don`t know which alt. On the enclosed photo of KNM Kya ex U 926 it seems that the lockingpin is located inside the homing fork, contrary to the German drawing.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1224 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 08:14 »
Simon.
Schnorchel position indicator.
I did not like my previous assumption so much as I would assume a rotating rod would be more appropriate. In this case if you follow the German practise you could end up with a solution  indicated on the drawing below. The indicator is pretty much the same as the indicator on some important valves, the double pointer on the travellingnut prevent same to rotate hence the pointer goes up and down according to the mastposition. I cannot guaranty that this solution is the original execution at this point remains  an intelligent guessing as so many times before.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1225 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 08:25 »
Simon.
Locking pin downright postion.
If you look at the handlearm and guide in the wardroom you shall notice there are holes drilled in the handle and the guide, they are holes for a securingpin to lock the handle in position.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1226 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 12:19 »
Simon.
I did not like my previous assumption so much as I would assume a rotating rod would be more appropriate. In this case if you follow the German practise you could end up with a solution  indicated on the drawing below. The indicator is pretty much the same as the indicator on some important valves, the double pointer on the travellingnut prevent same to rotate hence the pointer goes up and down according to the mastposition. I cannot guaranty that this solution is the original execution at this point remains  an intelligent guessing as so many times before.
Tore

Tore, the green spot is the location for the hull opening for the Schnorchel position indicator.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1227 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 12:28 »
Simon.
Final solution to the upright lockingpin.
Having studied the U 968 photo I believe I have found the final design. The homingfork has the upper hole and it is square, the lower fixingpoint is bolted to the common supportplate. The working is pretty much as explained before and the pin is square which prevent it from turning with the threaded rodend. I have tried to make a sketch referring to the photo.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1228 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 12:41 »
Simon.
I guess the U 995 lockingpin execution is the original and probably the latest design ( installed March-April 1945), but as you know from previous discussions there are various execution particulary the rodconnection to the upper lockingpin.
Tore

I just found two more photo's in Vom Original zum Modell, Uboottyp VII C with the "large flat tab" with an opening for a pin

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1229 on: 27 Feb , 2014, 12:47 »
Simon.
Tore

Tore, here the solution for the Schnorchel position indicator on the Type IX from Vom Original zum Modell, Uboottyp IX C