Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 513138 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #1200 on: 23 Feb , 2014, 12:55 »
Simon.
 The two last end positions are just correct. I wonder about the greasecups though, did you find any pictures or drawings showing same?
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1201 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 01:29 »
Simon.
 The two last end positions are just correct. I wonder about the greasecups though, did you find any pictures or drawings showing same?
Tore

Below you can see the grease cups :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1202 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 01:50 »
 Very good, I didn`t remember and had an idea it could be grease nipples. ;D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1203 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 01:55 »
Very good, I didn`t remember and had an idea it could be grease nipples.
Tore

These grease cups seem to be standard throughout the u-boat.

Tore, was it a shock to the system coming from +30°C to -30°C ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1204 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 02:06 »
Simon
You bet, I am still looking for the remote control to turn off the airconditioning ;D Here we have up to 4 meters of snow in the mountains right now and people cannot find their cottages buried in the snow!
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1205 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 07:42 »
Simon
I fully realise there are limits to details however I could not resist adding a few more details to the schnorchel system as you see on the drawing below. The locking pin eyes are obvious. The hydraulic stuffingbox drain is important to prevent oilslick. The inboard drain valve is shown on the photo and the drain ends into the big drainbox on the  forward bulkhead port side of the controlroom. The mast position indicator I have mentioned before. I assume the connection from the hullrod to the mast could be teleflex as fitted on the mechanical indicators for the hydroplanes. The hull transmission is done by a steelrod moving up and down. The cable is indicated on the drawing as heatingcable, I cannot remember that but guess it could be for the radar detectionsystem as well.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1206 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 19:50 »
Tore, what do you think the labels read?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1207 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 21:40 »
The hydraulic stuffing box drain and hydraulic lines added :)

Will add the other things in a few days.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1208 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 23:40 »
Simon.
Valve markings.
The left hydraulic boardvalve marking reads Schnorchelmast senken meaning schnorchelmast lowering. The left valvemarkings reads Druckøl Schnorchelmast heben meaning Pressureoil Schnorchelmast rising.
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Feb , 2014, 23:43 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1209 on: 24 Feb , 2014, 23:59 »
Simon.
Valve markings.
The left hydraulic boardvalve marking reads Schnorchelmast senken meaning schnorchelmast lowering. The left valvemarkings reads Druckøl Schnorchelmast heben meaning Pressureoil Schnorchelmast rising.
Tore

Thanks, I wanted to add the 'naming' plates to the drawing  ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1210 on: 25 Feb , 2014, 00:51 »
Simon
If you want to hook up the rest of the schnorchel hydraulic system which is connected to the IMO hyd. motor for the navigation periscope hoist I`ll make a sketch.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1211 on: 25 Feb , 2014, 01:01 »
Simon
If you want to hook up the rest of the schnorchel hydraulic system which is connected to the IMO hyd. motor for the navigation periscope hoist I`ll make a sketch.
Tore

I would like to finish the schnorchel hydraulic system. I'm little busy so it maybe a little while before I get to it.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1212 on: 25 Feb , 2014, 02:08 »
Simon.
OK in the meatime I shall try to make a sketch showing the system.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1213 on: 25 Feb , 2014, 07:55 »
Simon.
Hydraulic system schnorchel.
The system is hooked up to the navigation periscopesystem as indicated on the sketch below. High pressure from the hydraulic system enters the schnorchel maneuvering slide via the stop/ speed throttling valve B. The slide allows the hyd. pressure oil to enter, via the boardvalve, the rising/lowering cylinder on either side as  required. The return oil from the appropriate side of the cylinder passes the boardvalve  to the schnorchel maneuvering slide and then to the stop/ speed throttling valve A before it enters the returnpipe from the periscope winch IMO motor. For some strange reason the B valve housing is painted red and the valve handwheel is removed on the valve shown on the photo from the U 995.
There are several sketches of the schnorchel system, in my opinion the sketch shown is closest to the real thing as on U 995. A and B valves are used to adjust the rising and lowering speed of the mast giving it a smooth homing in both endpositions, whereas the maneuvering slide distributes the pressure- return oil to the appropriate side of the rising/lowering piston.
Tore
« Last Edit: 25 Feb , 2014, 07:59 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1214 on: 26 Feb , 2014, 01:47 »
Simon
I fully realise there are limits to details however I could not resist adding a few more details to the schnorchel system as you see on the drawing below. The locking pin eyes are obvious. The hydraulic stuffingbox drain is important to prevent oilslick. The inboard drain valve is shown on the photo and the drain ends into the big drainbox on the  forward bulkhead port side of the controlroom. The mast position indicator I have mentioned before. I assume the connection from the hullrod to the mast could be teleflex as fitted on the mechanical indicators for the hydroplanes. The hull transmission is done by a steelrod moving up and down. The cable is indicated on the drawing as heatingcable, I cannot remember that but guess it could be for the radar detectionsystem as well.
Tore

Spend all afternoon looking for the heating cable and radar detection cable hull openings, could not found them in any photo’s of U-995  :'(

Will have it add it to the list of things to check on U-995 when I get there one day.