Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512538 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #75 on: 28 Jan , 2009, 17:39 »
Hi Simon,

Position A for the radio aerial wire. VERY nice drawings!

Cheers,

Dougie

Thanks for the information on the position of the radio aerial wire :D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #76 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 04:29 »
Really impressive drawing and attitude. I will watch this space closely for further developments!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #77 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 18:19 »

Does anyone have a picture of this smaller bow hatch on the port side (in red)? Or can anyone confirm if it was hinged (& what way it open) or was it bolted on to the deck ??? Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #78 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 23:56 »
Hi Siara

I was wondering that length did you make your Grapnels? Also during your research on the Grapnels did you come across how it was fix to the deck? I imagine the grapnels were fixed with wing nuts so they could be quickly and easily remove when needed ???  Thanks, Simon.

Siara,
Some times it's hard to believe to detail you put on a build. It also gives me insperation and ideas for my own build. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks Wildspear!
Ill keep the pics coming as you wish....

Grapnels- i think thats what this thing is called- does anybody know?

TBC...

Hi Siara. Another question about the Grapnels - wood or metal ??? Thanks, Simon.

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 03:33 »
Do you know what the plate the with funny outline do?

I really dont know. The shape of it gives me ideas- it may be something to do with the capstan. Picture this:
lever is inserted in the slot, and wedged in the recess to release the clutch mechanism on the capstan ratchet? ???

Than theres two more of these slots on the stern of the boat- so i rally dont know. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Also...Do you know what this is call?

Not a clue my friend. But we have so many submarine eggheads here im sure your question will get answered. ;)

..Still no ideas on what these three plates with the funny outline are ?? (I doubt if they're for a clutch release though !)  Anybody at all ? ANYBODY ??

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 10:04 »
Do you know what the plate the with funny outline do?

I really dont know. The shape of it gives me ideas- it may be something to do with the capstan. Picture this:
lever is inserted in the slot, and wedged in the recess to release the clutch mechanism on the capstan ratchet? ???

Than theres two more of these slots on the stern of the boat- so i rally dont know. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Also...Do you know what this is call?

Not a clue my friend. But we have so many submarine eggheads here im sure your question will get answered. ;)

..Still no ideas on what these three plates with the funny outline are ?? (I doubt if they're for a clutch release though !)  Anybody at all ? ANYBODY ??

Hi Bill, I been doing my research on the layouts of the deck & under deck for my drawing for over 3 weeks now. I have looked at a lots of plans & photographs (I have seen many new views of different parts of the deck & learn a heap about deck layout), however, like you Bill, I still have no idea that they are or that they are for. I have never them on any late war VIIC or any VIIC/41, unless they are under the deck, (however, are no hatches in these areas), I have never seen a picture of them being used. I will continue doing my research on the deck, and maybe something will turn up. I am hoping to have layout plan ready for people to have a look at by the end of next week of all the things I have learn during my research.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 11:49 »
Hi Simon,

I don't have a close up photo, but it can be seen from a distance in -

Your hatch should be the same as the hatches on the aft deck. These can be seen below -

These style of hatches has two small hinges at one end. Towards the opposite side there was a semi-circular hole to allow the hatch to be opened.

Not sure what the weird shaped oulines were on the deck but Type IIs had them too.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #82 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 13:36 »
Hi Simon,

I don't have a close up photo, but it can be seen from a distance in -

Your hatch should be the same as the hatches on the aft deck. These can be seen below -

These style of hatches has two small hinges at one end. Towards the opposite side there was a semi-circular hole to allow the hatch to be opened.

Not sure what the weird shaped oulines were on the deck but Type IIs had them too.

Cheers,

Dougie

Thanks Dougie. Very useful. Best photo I have see of the bow yet. Remembered me that I had not add the Forward Bow Hook Hatch. It

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 14:39 »
......And the quest continues..Thanks Simon/Dougie...Bill

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #84 on: 31 Jan , 2009, 10:42 »
I found this photograph in the book U-BOOTE CREWS by Jean Delize. If you look at the photograph it looks like that hatch number 1 is immediately behind the bollards, however, on the plans this hatch is drawn further away from the bollards.

I was wondering that other people thoughts were on the hatch placement?

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #85 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 11:35 »
Hi Siara

I was wondering that length did you make your Grapnels? Also during your research on the Grapnels did you come across how it was fix to the deck? I imagine the grapnels were fixed with wing nuts so they could be quickly and easily remove when needed ???  Thanks, Simon.

Siara,
Some times it's hard to believe to detail you put on a build. It also gives me insperation and ideas for my own build. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks Wildspear!
Ill keep the pics coming as you wish....

Grapnels- i think thats what this thing is called- does anybody know?

TBC...

Hi Siara. Another question about the Grapnels - wood or metal ??? Thanks, Simon.
     Hi Simon....Grapnels ?....More than likely wood...If they got dropped overboard they would float ! If metal..They'd be too heavy to handle unless they were tubes...
                                                                       Bill...

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #86 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 11:53 »
Thanks Bill ;D

Had never given it any thought if it was made of wood or metal until the other day while I was surfing the net and I came across a picture of it on a model, painted in a wood colours. I thought it would be wood not metal, not because the floating thing (but I like your reason better), I thought because, if they stop making the u-boat decks out of metal then were would be no way they would make the Grapnels with metal ;)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 12:06 »
Hi Simon,

Looking at a few VIIC photos there is a definite space between the bollards and hatch 1. The photo you posted was taken at such an angle that this space can't be appreciated. I'd say the position of the hatches in the Delize plan look about right.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #88 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 12:15 »
I thought because, if they stop making the u-boat decks out of metal then were would be no way they would make the Grapnels with metal ;)

The reason the deck is wood, because wood is less prone to freezing in harsh climates- those less slippery

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #89 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 23:34 »
Hi Simon,

Looking at a few VIIC photos there is a definite space between the bollards and hatch 1. The photo you posted was taken at such an angle that this space can't be appreciated. I'd say the position of the hatches in the Delize plan look about right.

Cheers,

Dougie

Thanks Dougie for the input :)