Author Topic: Uboot Insulators  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Uboot Insulators
« on: 12 Nov , 2009, 08:54 »
Hello all, I posted last week that I was going to try to use wooden rigging blocks, the type used by wooden sailing ship builders, to make insulators.  The blocks I ordered arrived today and I have been working them into shape.  I am sold that, for me at least, this is the best material to make insulators. 

Picture one shows eight rigging blocks.  The lower ones are in the original state, which is a bit to "squareish" to give a good representation of an insulator.  The upper blocks are after a few minutes of sanding; they look much closer to the real thing.

Pictures two and three show a set of blocks rigged to simulate three insulators after general assembly.  Once painted after completion I think they will look pretty good.

I used black rigging thread, again the type used by ship modelers, to join the "insulators".  This thread works very well.  It does not fray easily or have the "fuzzys" as it is waxed.  The thread is a bit stiff, which makes threading tiny openings easier. I plan to use it for the shortning lines.

The photos are in the Type VII section of the forum.

What do you guys think?

Ernest     

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Uboot Insulators
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov , 2009, 00:44 »
Looks good, can you post threaded pix? (or am I not good with looking)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz