Author Topic: Type II Build  (Read 2949 times)

Ronster

Type II Build
« on: 07 Oct , 2009, 00:36 »
Howdy folks! I'm a newcomer to the Forum. I'm normally a large scale WWII aircraft builder, but I also like to dabble in ships, etc. too. My stuff gets posted on Hyperscale every couple of months.

I have been inspired to finally start my Type II build with the AMP upgrade set. I thought I should periodically post updates as I progress. I just started the other night and I'm still working through stages 1-3 (hull). The extra hull vents have been sealed up. I used Apoxie Sculpt and it turned out great. I'm not sure if I'm going to use all the photoetch vents, especially on the areas with complex curves. I'm trying to thin out the plastic and see if I can open some of them that way. Others on the bow might need to be simply left as is.

I'll start taking some photos soon to share my progress. Let me know how you are coming on your builds too! I'm very interested.

Ron

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Type II Build
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct , 2009, 01:29 »
LOve to see some pix as you go!

For the PE vents and floods, one trick for strength is to cut in a lip/shoulder/rebate so the piece is supported. For thinning plastic, the angle-method works...thin around the hole edges but keep the middle beefy for strength.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct , 2009, 01:30 »
Hey, LOVE the av! recreation stuff? tell usmore!

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct , 2009, 04:17 »
Welcome to the forum, keep us posted on your progress.

What part of San Jose are you in?
I used to live in Hayward down town near Hobbies Unlimited on Hesperian Blvd and also near Castro Valley, I'm out in the central valley now.

Eric...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct , 2009, 02:12 »
I love the landmarks as Hobby Stores...

Ronster

« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct , 2009, 00:12 »
Hi Eric:
Actually, I was up at Hobbies Unlimited last weekend! I hung out with Al for a while as we discussed the tires I have on my car.....

I don't know if you have heard, but he moved his shop from Hisperian St. over to Manor Dr. near the freeway. It's a bigger place, so I like it. I do think it is THE best stocked hobby shop in the bay area. Funny how you would never know about the place if you didn't hear about it from other modelers though. Al does not advertise much.

Anyway, work on the Type II continues. I went ahead and tried drilling out most of the vents rather than cutting and adding the photoetch. It was a lot more work than I expected, but it looks acceptable to me. I did add Parts 4 and 5 though since the are large sections and there isn't a lot of conturing to get a fit. I was actually amazed at how close my cuts came to the outline of parts 4-5. Not much gap at all. I'll be using some Aepoxy Scult to blend everything in.

I'll get some photos posted this weekend. I hope to get the hull togther this weekend too.

Ron