Author Topic: Torpedo Trolley/dolly pic pic or diagram?? 5 pics so far Major update  (Read 5866 times)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
We see the pics of the rails all of the time and see the statement about how the trolley was used to move the stored torpedoes around on deck to load into the pressure hull. But I have not seen a pic or diagram or any major info on the trolley. Anyone??

Later Tim
« Last Edit: 06 Jul , 2018, 09:21 by 42rocker »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Torps were rolled on the rails.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Glenn
Thank You for your reply. An interesting thought. I have not seen anything that shows otherwise

I have found the following in the Design studies type IXC report.

http://uboatarchive.net/Design/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm

S75-3 area

""The topside torpedo handling gear varies from U.S. practice in several features.  Additional deck arrangements, such as tracks and a dolly, are made necessary by the Germans' extensive use of topside stowage to supplement limited below-decks stowage. ""

I used the word trolley they used dolly in the above.

I posted a pic showing the crew working with a torpedo above deck in another topic. As to there being a dolly being used or ?? I don't know. Finding more info on this subject would be nice. Anyone??

Later Tim

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Glenn
Thank You for that link. The part I'm interested in is the first line.
"The topside torpedo handling gear varies from U.S. practice in several features. Additional deck arrangements, such as tracks and a dolly, are made necessary by the Germans' extensive use of topside stowage to supplement limited below- decks stowage."
I read and reviewed the rest and also the other posted areas and most of it talks about how they lower the torpedo into the pressure hull. Not movement on the deck. Well someday I hope that a pic or two will show up or just a little more on the dolly. It could be 1 wheel or 2 or a 4 wheeled dolly running on one rail or two. For myself I'm guessing something like a 2 axle, 4 wheel small low dolly. There could be one under the torpedo in the pic that I posted in another topic that I posted.
Well hope that something else shows up on this sometime.

Glenn - Thanks for your input on this and also on the sharing of your work with everyone. I always look forward to your posts.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Well put the search engine to work on the net. After many try's got the following pic. Credit?? Not sure who it should go to.
But if you now input U-172 in, then this is one of the pics that shows up.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Well it looks like a trolley with 4 wheels (2 axles) with a turntable in the center. My thoughts, will review it some more later.

What are your thoughts on this?? Anyone??

Later Tim

Offline falo

• Admiral
Hi Later Tim,

I visited a antiquarian bookseller yesterday and by accident I saw a copy of the "Vom Original zum Modell – UBoottyp I XC" (from F. Köhler and A. Niestle). During page turning I found on page 19 or 20 a very good (half page) picture of the "Transportwagen" (transport trolley), I think it would be a good start for a sratchbuilt. The trolley has four wheels and a rotatable detent on the top.

Regards
falo

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Hi Regards falo

I sure hope that you bought that book as it's on a lot of want lists. Thanks for that info. The details in the pic that I posted are hard to make out. Sure looks big in the pic, of course it should be to hold up under the weight of the torpedoes.
Little info here and there.

Thanks Again

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Found another. Right in the front.

Later Tim

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Oh SWEET!
I'm happy to have been proven wrong.  :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Glenn
I did not think that you were wrong, you said they rolled on the tracks and they do roll on the track using the trolleys.

Wow those trolleys do look big. Like someone else said, where do they store this stuff?

Well I have got a few more pics showing the "poles and tackle" that were raised into the air for the lifting of the torpedoes, to be placed on the trolleys, etc.. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll try to post them.

Later Tim

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
I wonder if anyone would be willing to scratchbuild a trolley and then cast it... and sell it as a small kit.
It would surely make for a more interesting torpedo-loading diorama.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
What an interesting idea.. Not I, too many things on the bucket list as it is.
If someone were to do it I hope that they would include all of the poles and block and tackle that goes with.

Wishes - well another one would be for a kit to convert the U505 as it issued back to show it after it was bombed. Another interesting thing to show. Lots more in that one.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Wow, Glenn the idea of an on deck (IXC) torpedo moving diorama sounds more and more interesting the more that I think of it.

Here are a few thoughts on it.
1st Deck line and up display. Use just part (1/2?) of a IXC deck. Left over (?) from a deck upgrade?
2nd Use railroad rail for the tracks to roll on. HO scale 1/87, this is 1/72, but it's close.
3rd Turn some wheels (4) on the lathe add axles and other stuff for the trolley.
4th Us 1/16 brass tubing for the poles. Need to make wench and other small items.
5th Use a cmk kit or ? ramp set up to show a torpedo going into and down the front hatch. (cut torpedo in half, cut at angle)
6th Use 2 torpedoes?, 1 on trolley and 1 going down the hatch. Or just use 1 - to show off trolley without a torpedo on it.

Of course as I sit here at a desk typing this I look down at the Trumpeter 1/48 scale sub and say why not up-size it. Do 1/48 scale?

Group Build thoughts also come to my mind.

Later Tim