Author Topic: What boat?  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
What boat?
« on: 22 Feb , 2008, 04:16 »
Listen up, Maggots! (aww, just always wanted to be a drill sergeant)

The Gato's been out for awhile, it seems like folks have been holding off on starting, prolly partly because it's a big project and partly because there are aftermarket goodies appearing slowly over time.

SO...what boats are you all gonna do?

There have been a few "instant/preliminary" builds done within a few weeks of the release, and they are fine but generic. We want to see choices! History, meaning.

I'll start off. I'm doing SS 214, Grouper, because my amazing friend and 2nd father was a young Lt aboard the Guppy version in 1957, and eventually commanded a sub. She has a lot of history, starting in WWII and continuing on for a very long time. There's a personal connection, and some varied history.

But anything will do.  Liking a paint job, a time period, etc. (I'm doing 1943 because it (1) parallels U 557, off by just a year but otherwise almost exaclty matches to the days); (2) is early/mid war for US so interesting stuff; is not "modern".

Would love to hear, because this is the time for us all to help each other with research and ideas.

I'm also working on a checklist of what i will change, and the "attack plan" on how to do it.

Mike Keating has already done some great bow work.

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Re: What boat?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb , 2008, 07:53 »
Hey all,

I have to finish a DD before I dive into this build but I'll be building the USS Silversides SS-236. My son and I spent the night on this ship for one of those boy scout things, so I have some connections to this sub plus it's moored maybe 15-20 min down the road from mee so I get to vist and research. Maybe a mid-to late war build on her.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb , 2008, 23:22 by wildspear »

Mike K

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb , 2008, 09:20 »
Those who know me will not be surprised that I'm doing USS Amberjack (SS-522). Twice! First as a Portsmouth Tench "Gun Boat", with 2x40mm and 2 X 5" guns. The Amberjack after Guppy modernization.
And, if CMK releases interior compartments (like for the Type VII), one of them will be a cutaway.

Mike K

whaynesmd

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb , 2008, 14:53 »
I'm going to do SS-291, USS Crevalle, Portsmouth boat as she was outfitted in May, 1945,  because my father served on her at he end of the war up to her decommisioning.
                              Walt Haynes

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb , 2008, 03:22 »
Wild, that must have been great doing a scout sleepover on a Gato! Wow! Great stuff. Tell us about the DD!

Walt, beautiful doing your dad's boat. Love the very personal connection. For you a very 1945-post war look will be just right. The Eduard stuff looks beautiful, and is very 1945+.

Oh, and Mike - nice gunboat you're gonna build! Does it carry any torps, or no room left cuz of the deck guns!  :D

Mike K

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb , 2008, 10:16 »
OK. Just remember "Everybody likes a little a$$, nobody likes a smart a$$." ;D
And, yes. They did carry a full wartime load out, of fish. But, towards the end of the war, the Japanese were down to DEs and PCs for ASW.
A 600 lb depth charge is just as deadly, whether dropped form a full sized "Can", or a PC. But, surfaced, a sub with two 5" and two 40mm guns, out gunned most PCs, in both range and hitting power. And a couple dozen 5" rounds, is a whole lot cheaper than one torpedo.
It might not have been very sporting, but it was eminently satisfying, and great fun.
Mike K.

whaynesmd

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb , 2008, 11:35 »
Rokket,  SS-291 was Portsmouth,not EB.  She wasn't "post-war" but "end-of-war" so Eduard stuff is mostly wrong .  I'll keep waiting and hoping.

Walt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar , 2008, 15:27 »
Good points, Mike, I've read about the end of war situation you've mentioned - targets were so few by the end (thanks to an excellent job by subs) that it was guns. You mentioned PC, I love em! I'm sure smart people and other armchair strategists have thought about a huge fleet of fast and cheap torp/DC boats - I really should read up on the PTs and S-boats, sure seems like you could win with thousands of those puppies.

Walt - there are some secret projects still rolling along, including Portsmouth stuff! (yeah, there's a template out there, but PE would be better, especially with the riverts on the limber holes, liek the PE by Eduard).

Cornelius

Re: What boat? USS Barb
« Reply #8 on: 06 May , 2008, 16:04 »
I'm working on the USS Barb, 1945. SSN 220, Electric Boat. My mom's name is Barbara, and she was in the Navy!

References:
Classic Warships Gato Book
Squadron Gato Book
Floating Drydock Ebook
USS Cod pictorial (oxford press)
"Thunder Below"

Challenges:
1. Remove aft propellor guards. Filled holes with milliput, used stretched sprue to replace lines;
2. Aft torpedo doors. Added, smoothed, and shaped with milliput;
3. Aft cavity above waterline (some boats had them, including Barb): added this;
4. Aft Water vent holes (different among boats): positioned and drilled;
5. Aft holes along sides (exhausts?): drilled extra large hole, inserted  plastic tube, cut just proud of hull;
6. Wooden deck: Using Evergreen siding 0.20 V-groove with 0.5 spacing;
7. Fairwater: Open doors along sides, add wood deck, reshape windscreen, etc;
8. Radar: using Eduard set;
9. Armament: 5" gun from White Ensign, twin 20mm from Nautilus Modelworks, detail kit 40mm.

There's probably more I'm not thinking of; I'm at challenge #6 right now!

Cheers,

Tom

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 07 May , 2008, 00:48 »
I'm contemplating a very early boat with the enclosed bridge; maybe from the Aleuttian campaign...........Grunion?

@ cornelius:
any chance to show us photos of Your wood-deck-job??? :P
does siding mean Your are not using styrene strips but plates (with grooves)?
« Last Edit: 07 May , 2008, 04:25 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 07 May , 2008, 05:10 »
Tom - great stuff! I love your sources (have them all!) and love the connection, Barbara +navy = perfect! That's what we're talking about! Your siding idea is very good. One of the secret projects is a wooden deck...would love to see pix as rabapla says!

aurora-7

« Reply #11 on: 07 May , 2008, 11:38 »
I

Cornelius

Re: What boat? USS Barb
« Reply #12 on: 07 May , 2008, 12:27 »
Rabapla, Rokket,

Thanks for your comments. Where can I find instructions on posting pics? I'll take some in-progress photos this weekend. Oh yes, three more challenges:

10. Rivets along hull sides above waterline: riveting tool and tape (ok, rivets should be convex not concave but I'm liking how it looks so far);
11. Sponsons(?) fore and aft of the fairwater for gun placements: styrene cut to shape and v-groove decking (Barb in 1945 just had the 5" gun aft but kept both widened deck sections);
12. Aft messenger buoy:reshaped to circular shape, added milliput dome, plastic details and photoetch ring;

Cheers,

Tom
« Last Edit: 07 May , 2008, 15:57 by Cornelius »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 07 May , 2008, 12:54 »
posting pics?
That's what I like best with THIS forum:
just use the "additional options"-option  :P, and simple attach those pics!
Sincerely

Ralf

Cornelius

« Reply #14 on: 07 May , 2008, 14:11 »
Rabapla,

Thanks for the tip; I'll post those images after this weekend. Sorry, I forgot to respond to your question in the forum. I'm using Evergreen plates with parallel grooves: http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm#V-Groove%20Siding
I used clear styrene plates to overlay the hull, then traced the outline, hatches, etc.. Then I taped the clear and v-groove plates together and cut it to shape.

Hope this helps!

Tom