Author Topic: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)  (Read 58959 times)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
great!
just leave the quayside as it is: anything more would destract from the boot....
« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2011, 01:45 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
and if You still need a car or truck for that quayside:
did some research and only found this in 1/160:

http://www.aktionshaus-mzz.de/

go to modellautos - spur N - fertigmodelle

on page 13 is a mercedes benz 180, very common sight at that time (admiral's or captain's wife's car  ;D )
on page 15 it's the VW karmann ghia (didn't find a beetle...grrrrrr)
on page 16 the opel kadett (great choice, might even have been driven in bundeswehr- colors)
on page 20 the tempo hanseat (as the name says: common in northern germany at the coastside: a civil contractor delivering provisions?)
on page 21 the Ford 17M (great)
and on page 22 the BUNDESWEHR DKW Munga!!!!!

or maybe a B
« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2011, 01:44 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
Ralf,
I made a little 3D mock-up how I believe the turm on U-2330 and U-2360 looked like in my opinion.
It's just a little quickie in Photoshop but it serves the purpose:

What do you think?

I've only just seen this!!!!

exactly what I plan to do, except that my slope will be a little steeper (stubborn me... ;D), I will leave the front row of the upper rear flood holes visible.
the flagpole is a little bit more to the back, right at the rear edge of the bridge.

I must say that I realy love Your drawings, they get discussions to a new level. all this may be nitpicking, but as we plan to do such things in 1/72, errors will be more visible than in 1/144. very very helpfull!

Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
I'm glad you like my drawings, Ralf. I usually make them to help visualize what I'm trying to explain in text. Most of the time I believe that pictures are more descriptive.
Thanks for all the links for the N-scale cars. I will make the decision after I finished the diorama. I want to see how "empty" the quayside will appear. On the other hand I don't want to clutter it too much because it would detract from the boat itself.

As of now I have nothing new to report, have been too busy working my two jobs but I will update the thread as soon as possible.

On a side note: I broke down and bought second 1/72 special Navy Type XXIII (the first one is still on backorder  >:(). If I end up getting both I will have another "double-build of type XXIII" this time in 1/72 where I can let my detailing skills run really wild. :D :D :D
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
 :D :D :D :D :D

......just bought my second special navy XXIII too..............good price, still one left
 http://cgi.ebay.de/U-Boot-XXIII-Germany-WW-II-Plastikbausatz-1-72-/280612588724?pt=Standmodelle_Baus%C3%A4tze&hash=item4155d04cb4
(the top lit is missing, who cares?)

:D :D :D :D ;D

one will be a generic boat with FuMB "Tunis", the second U 2330 or 2360..............someday..... (what to do with the alanger boat then?)

does anybody know the tactical sign (rune) on the CT of U 2330? (still don't have an idea where to get that 2.5x1.5x3.5 plastic piece to carve the closed CT top in 1/72 from............)

PS:
one more difference between the 2 trumpeter kits: 5907 has the production hull with less flood holes at the bow than 5908 and the late GHG- balcony....so kit 5907 is the production version (except for variant C which is a project- mix- up), 5908 are projects.
love trumpis surface detail, they should blow it up to 1/72...........
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Hi,
finished work on U-2360 today. Here are some pictures.
Sorry for the cluttered background and "working" stand, also the flash makes the weathering and "rust" way too sharp (in reality it is nice subtle).
I'll try to take some pictures outside when it's sunny without flash

Work on diorama also continues (no pictures this time, not much to report, I'm afraid). Just ordered bottle of Magic Water today. Will update when it arrives.

Ralf, to answer your questions:
- I believe that U-2330 did not carry UAK rune at all (and I'm almost positive that it also didn't have the yellow school-stripe)
- You can try to shape the rounded portion of the top of the CT from wood to create sort of a "mold" and then fasten it in a vice, heat piece of scrap plastic (like old bottle) or a thin sheet and push it on the top of the wooden "mold", after the plastics conforms to the shape of the "mold" and cools off you will have a nice shape to work with.
- as far as your Alanger kit goes (it is very dimensionally innaccurate), if you have good scratch-building skills, I would suggest to turn it into waterline (which will eliminate some of the discrepancies) conversion of post-war Klasse 240. Here is a link to great conversion made by Pete Vill over at ModelShipwrights.com: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1466

Also I agree with you: Trumpeter should "blow-up" their Type XXIII (after they fixed few mistakes) to 1/72. Definitely!
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
wow! congratulations!
still believe it's 1/72!
love the "scratch one build" under Your "on the workbench"- signature.................... ;D

and transforming the alanger boat into typ 204... :).........would solve the problem with the exhaust cover which is too short on the alanger boat...........with some shortening before and behind the CT the hull should look quite o.k.

it's a shame holidays are over.....don't know when I will be building again.......

« Last Edit: 12 Jan , 2011, 01:43 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
really nice work
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

Superb Job!  Congratulations! ;D

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Thank you, gentlemen!
The work on the U-hai diorama continues: I have built wooden "frame" which will contain Magic Water when poured in, I also airbrushed the color of the water green (fits the Atlantic better IMO).
Still have to paint all the barrels and crates, though. Also have to find the correct size thread to moor the boat. Overall the work is almost finished, hopefully the next update is going the one of the finished project.
Some pictures:

Also, I am already thinking about my next build: most likely ICM's Type IIB in 1/144. Stay tuned for the conclusion of this double build and start of a new one... ;)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan , 2011, 12:53 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
Re: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)
« Reply #100 on: 19 Jan , 2011, 23:35 »
dio looking lovely

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #101 on: 21 Jan , 2011, 06:19 »
Beautiful boat, well done!

Karel

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #102 on: 23 Jan , 2011, 02:03 »
Nice job conus; the weathering looks excellent.  Your dio is coming along nicely also.

Ernest

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #103 on: 23 Jan , 2011, 13:10 »
Thank you, gentlemen.
Diorama is finished just waiting for me to get enough courage to mix the Magic Water and pour it in. I'm dreading this step: I have never used that stuff before and there is huge amount of hours invested into the model. Does anybody have any experience with M.W. ?
After it's poured in and hardened, the last thing left will be to "cast the lines" to moor the boat to the quay.

On a side note: I have already started work on ICM's Type IIb in 1/144, some pics coming soon.
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #104 on: 26 Jan , 2011, 01:10 »
I would DEFINITELY practice. Often I try something tricky, and do a bit of testing. Or start it but prepare myself mentally for scrapping it and doing it over. A little Magic Water wasted is cheap if you save your model!