SEA > TYPE VII

MG34 Bridge Mount

(1/7) > >>

lucasner:
I have found quite a few pics now of the MG mounted on the bridge. What I want to verify is that the mount looks like it was attached to one of the life-belt rings set into the bridge coaming. Is this true? Could it be mounted to any of them? It seems that in most of the pics I have found that it is on the starboard-rear side of the bridge, but I found one pic that shows it on the port side.
TIA
Dave

Rokket:
Can you post a pic?

lucasner:
Here are two of the best pics I could find on the web.

Rokket:
In principle, not tooooo dissimilar to the US Gatos. They had a fist size round bit of pipe, with a small finger sized hole. There was a pin on the bottom of the swivel ount (.30 and .50), that just dropped in. Very low tech. This seems to be more sophisticated in that it is an elevated mount, but not anything wild.

SG:

--- Quote from: lucasner on 02 Feb , 2014, 15:07 ---What I want to verify is that the mount looks like it was attached to one of the life-belt rings set into the bridge coaming. Is this true?

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily, as the next pictures show (though the MGs in the pictures were not MG 34s):
(?MG 81z, below)

(MG 15)

(MG 15)

(MG15)

(MG 15)

MG Mounts could be attached on one side (port and starboard side indifferently), both sides, not necessarily on the "life-belt rings area" of the turret. The mounts varied in terms of appearance even if MG 34 mounts seem to have quite a basic design if compared to the other MG type mounts which look more elaborate. Every boat differed from another in terms of field modifications and general appearance, so my advice is to pick up the boat you want to build, get as many pictures as possible of it, and base your project on those pictures.
Anyway, am sure most of the experts in the forum will add further specific information on the matter and hopefully post better pictures.
Interesting subject, thanks for bringing it up Dave!
Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version