SEA > DD

1/125th scale USS Mertz DD-691

(1/5) > >>

Mr. Bill:
Here are some photos of my modeling odyssey of USS Mertz based on a heavily modified Lindberg Blue Devil kit.  By the time I finished this project, there was very little left of the original kit, most everything was modified, scratch built or an aftermarket.  I also made my own decals for the squadron insignia, deck tread strips, and material condition labels.  This was a very frustrating project which required a significant investment in time and effort.  At the time I started, the Revell 1/144 Fletcher did not exist and the Lindberg kit was the only large scale Fletcher kit available.

I selected Mertz as she appeared at the end of the war in Measure 22 with the distinctive markings of Destroyer Squadron 54.  The Red Devil squadron emblem was applied to both sides of the forward funnel of all ships in DESRON 54 near the end of the war and some carried it into 1946 and maybe 1947.  The tail of the devil forms the number "5" and the pitchfork forms the number "4".  Mertz also carried a large number "8" on each side just below the midships 40mm.  USS Monssen DD-798 carried a number "9" in this same location.  I am not sure what numbers were carried to the other seven ships in DESRON 54.

Your comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome.  Enjoy the photos.

NZSnowman:
Hi Bill.

The pictures are great and the build is fantastic!!!

Are the hull fixers to protect the propellers?

Rokket:
Very detailed and crisp, excellent presenattion and detail

Mr. Bill:
Hello!

Thanks for your kind words.  The propeller guards were a standard feature on Fletcher Class destroyers and served to keep the screws clear of fouling from lines that might pass near.

Regards,

Mr. Bill

Greif:
Very beautiful build Bill.  You should be very proud of her.

Ernest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version