SEA > TYPE VII

German Torpedo Color?

<< < (2/56) > >>

NZSnowman:

--- Quote from: rokket on 25 Jun , 2010, 20:04 ---Dougie would know, but I'm sure they were a green (pale yellowyish) nose and polished steel body, brass fins and props.

--- End quote ---

I think the 'green (pale yellowyish)' colour is commonly mistake for the torpedo grease they used in very large amounts on the torpedoes, but I could be wrong myself ;D

Natter:

--- Quote from: NZSnowman on 21 Jun , 2010, 17:22 ---I believe the only colour they painted were Red & white on the warhead to show it was a training torpedo. Here are the true colour I believe, and the colours I am currently using for my drawing.
--- End quote ---
Not entirely true I'm afraid...
I have just posted a comment on the colours in another thread ( http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?action=profile;u=388;sa=showPosts ).

Some details on the T1 apart, the illustration isn't that bad. The different colour for the aft-section (and the water-chamber on the T1) is wrong though (it should all be unpainted steel).
The yellow colour on the T1 war-head is presumably meant to indicate bronze, as certain Kb heads manufactured from bronze would have been unpainted. The rest of the heads shows a pretty accurate colour though.

Natter:

--- Quote from: Pat on 26 Jun , 2010, 06:42 ---Why not write or email to either the Chicago Museum of Technology, USA (Where U-505 is located) or theKriegsmarine Museum at Laboe, Germany (where U-995 is) and ask?  (Or even the Greenwich or Portsmouth Naval Museums in England?)
--- End quote ---
Sadly, most museums doesn't seem to have a clue... (both the U-505 and the U-995 displays show torpedoes with wrong colours :-| ).

--- Quote from: Pat on 26 Jun , 2010, 06:42 ---As somebody who was in the artillery, I'd be very surprised if torpedos weren't different colours depending on the type of torpedo.  In the artillery we had shells with blue warheads (training), olive green (HE), red (armour piercing) etc.  It would seem logical the the Kriegsmarine would have had different colours for different types such as the steam or battery driven, the magnetic ones, the ones that zigzagged, etc.
--- End quote ---
They didn't. I don't have my documents at hand, but if I find time later on I might put up a list of the german torpedo/warhead/pistol combinations. All steel heads were painted light (or dark) grey, and some bronzeheads wre unpainted.

Comparing artilleryshells and torpedoes are a bit far off... You can't accidentaly load the wrong type in a tube onboard a submarine :-)  Submarines usually had one type of torpedo (or two if they also kept the G7a), depending on the type of submarine and the timeline of the war. There were in fact not that many operational types of torpedo: Only G7a (wet-heater) and G7e (electric). However, there were variants of both and especially many different types of pistols (mechanical, magnectic) - hence the list of combinations mentioned above.

Natter:

--- Quote from: NZSnowman on 28 Sep , 2010, 14:41 ---I think the 'green (pale yellowyish)' colour is commonly mistake for the torpedo grease they used in very large amounts on the torpedoes
--- End quote ---
The grease would rather give a brown-tint on the torpedo. Mu best tip on the green "myth" is that many deduct this from the fact that US WW2-torpedoes where green ( a result of the "parkerizing" process - similar to the bluening of handguns etc.). Also, post-war practice show usage of paint to prevent corrosion on torpedoes (royal navy typically used green and bundesmarine used blue colours).

Natter:

--- Quote from: rokket on 25 Jun , 2010, 20:04 ---brass fins and props.
--- End quote ---
Brass were used extensivly on the G7a (the only "visible" brass parts would have been the propellers though), but as rawmaterials became sparse during the war, this was replaced by steel. The G7e had very few parts of brass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version