SEA > TYPE VII

German Torpedo Color?

(1/56) > >>

Scorcher2:
Greetings!

I have purchased the White Ensign resin torpedo set G7A & G7E.   I am planning on using one of these displayed on the base I have my nearly completed U-557 on.   I would like someone to please tell me what color the torpedo should be.   I have a color photo of all metal finish in a museum and have seen color line drawings with the torpedo in various finishes.   And knowing the Kriegsmarine's regulations regarding painting I am sure there wouldn't be too much variance on whatever finish they had.  ::)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

NZSnowman:
I believe the only colour they painted were Red & white on the warhead to show it was a training torpedo. Here are the true colour I believe, and the colours I am currently using for my drawing.

G7a/T1
Range/Speed: 6 km/44 knots, 8 km/40 knots, and 14 km/30 knots.
Guidance system: Straight running unguided design

G7e/T3
Range/Speed: 5 km/30 knots.
Guidance system: Straight running unguided design

G7e/T3

Scorcher2:
Thank you for the very prompt and informative reply.   Now I can finally finish this project!

Thanks again.

Rokket:
Dougie would know, but I'm sure they were a green (pale yellowyish) nose and polished steel body, brass fins and props.

Pat:
Why not write or email to either the Chicago Museum of Technology, USA (Where U-505 is located) or theKriegsmarine Museum at Laboe, Germany (where U-995 is) and ask?  (Or even the Greenwich or Portsmouth Naval Museums in England?)

I've written to Chicago and Greenwich before and they were quite helpful and prompt in replying.  Museum curators usually are quite happy when people show an interest in what they're doing, especially in writing.  It probably at the least helps them justify their budgets.

As somebody who was in the artillery, I'd be very surprised if torpedos weren't different colours depending on the type of torpedo.  In the artillery we had shells with blue warheads (training), olive green (HE), red (armour piercing) etc.  It would seem logical the the Kriegsmarine would have had different colours for different types such as the steam or battery driven, the magnetic ones, the ones that zigzagged, etc. 

It makes sense to ensure that the crew doesn't load the wrong type and when the emergency lighting is on during a depth charge attack it would be even more important to be able to tell types of torpedos apart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version