SEA > TYPE II

Type IIa

(1/3) > >>

Piet:
Did any of the type 2 a Uboots from the 21. Flottille  ( U-2, U-3, U-4, U-5, and U-6) , before they were Decommissioned and sunk  a conning tower and armament updates?

Thanks
Piet.

Anakin:
Hi.

From what i've been reading, the front deck anti aircraft gun was a single 20mm and was later upgraded to twin 20mm. No major changes to the CT.

Regards,
Anakin

Piet:
Thanks for your reply.......sounds good a twin 20mm

Regards,
Maarten.

dougie47:
Hello gents,

I haven't seen a twin 20mm on the front deck of Type IIs yet. I suppose this could have occurred but have yet to see evidence of it. If anybody has a photo then please let me know as it would be good to see one.

In regard to the conning tower, in 1943 the Black Sea Type IIBs (U 9, U 18, U 19, U 20, U 23 and U 24) had a 20mm added to a rebuilt rear tower area. This was necessary as they were involved in combat operations. A few such as U 9 had the single 20mm on the tower replaced with a twin 20mm. Some of the Black Sea boats also got a 7.92mm single MG34 machine gun or similar type on either side of the tower bulwark.

I think that the 20mm (or twin 20mm) on the tower was exclusive to the operational Black Sea boats. As far as I can see, all the training boats back in Germany did not get the 20mm on the tower.

Cheers,

Dougie 

Anakin:
Hi Dougie and Maarten.

I can't remember any pics about twin 20cm on type IIa boats but i've read it somewhere...

And you are right about that the later versions had more changes to the original lay-out. Larger winter gartens etc. Type IIc U-58 had fitted a schnorchel system... There could be lots of interesting experimental lay-outs but very few of them was photographed...

Anakin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version