<< < (2/4) > >>

dougie47:
Hi Anakin,

Ah yes, that's where it is.

Many thanks,

Dougie

Joe Passaseo:
Thanks Guys for your replies,

I have carefully looked at the existing photos of U1 to U6 and a second periscope is clearly
visible on most of them and can say that photo evidence, well, equals fact even with tower
numbers visible to confirm this.

Yet in David Miller's Illustrated History of the Raiders of the Deep, U boat Aces site and
Wikipedia, all claim that the IIAs had 1 periscope. To further this, Kagero's 3D book of
The Type IIa shows the tower with having 1 periscope, one UZO stand aft of the hatch
and the DF on the outside of the tower.

This is what led me to inquire as there is conflicting info. Are the above sources all wrong?

PS....Thanks for the offer Glenn but I have that kit in my stash.

Cheers,
Joe

GlennCauley:
Yeh, likely those other sources are wrong.

I went to the Wikipedia page for "German Type II submarine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Type_II_submarine#Type_IIA

and corrected the info for IIA from 1 periscope to 2 periscopes... and removed incorrect statement from IIC description that stated a 2nd periscope was added at that boat.   
There were always 2 periscopes from IIA onwards.

Also contacted uboataces and asked them to correct the incorrect information. 
The info between wiki & uboataces was identical.

Anakin:
I have some blueprints/plans from the internet and books about type II and Vesikko. I've been studying them again and i must say the Uboat aces site and wikipedia has wrong information. They both had attack and sky periscopes. Manufactured by Carl Zeiss/Nedinsco. These boats were almost identical. Both had same kind of inner structure and same order. The periscope installation was identical. Main difference was the shape of the conning tower. Other differencies was decks flow gaps and hatches. Vesikkos hull has more riveted seams than type II u-boats.

I've been thinking also that kagero type II book but never purchased one because the type VII book had some false information. Fancy but false info. Just like the Haynes U-Boat manual...   :D

Regards,
Anakin

GlennCauley:

--- Quote from: Anakin on 08 Feb , 2016, 09:51 ---Fancy but false info. Just like the Haynes U-Boat manual...   :D

--- End quote ---

OMG... Haynes U-boat manual got some stuff wrong!?!?!?      That's it... my world is shattered.   LOL  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version