SEA > TYPE II

Accuracy of Special Navy Type II A

(1/4) > >>

Joe Passaseo:
I am very curious as to why the Special Navy IIA kit shows 2 periscopes when I have read on
a few u boat related sites that the Type IIAs only had one 1 periscope.

Also did the DF loop antenna not get moved to the inside of the tower until later variants?

Which is correct?

Cheers,
Joe

Anakin:
Hello Joe.

The type II boats had 2 periscopes. At least all blueprints in Eberhard Rosslers Uboot typ II book say so. Including the prototype CV-707 Vesikko.
And you are right about the DF loop antenna.

Regards,
Anakin

GlennCauley:
Joe, if you are looking for a IIA kit with the full AMP upgrade set... I have spare of both !
:D

dougie47:
Hello gents,

Yes, as Anakin says there were two periscopes (there are a few photos all showing two periscopes on IIAs).

I can't see any D/F loop on the IIAs (U 1 to U 6), either inside or outside the tower.

The distinguishing feature of the Germaniawerft built IIBs (U 7 to U 12) was the D/F loop on the front of the tower. This wasn't a great place to put it (not exactly hydrodynamic) so on all later Type IIs the loop was placed inside the tower bulwark.

Cheers,

Dougie

Anakin:
Hi Dougie and Joe.

The Df antenna is visible in Rosslers book page 83 plan 9. Type II A (U1  -  U6) side view and deck plan. Located in the port side of the conning tower.

Type II B (U7  -  U12) the antenna was indeed on the front of the ct.

Regards
Anakin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version