Author Topic: Eduard Albatros DVa Complete  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Eduard Albatros DVa Complete
« on: 02 Feb , 2010, 14:20 »
The DVa is finished.  It carries the markings of Lt. Wilhelm Lehmann during the short time he was the commander of Jasta 5 in the spring of 1918.  Lehmann had a total of 4 aerial victories before he was was shot down and killed on 26 June 1918.  He was probably brought down by the American Field E. Kindley who was flying with No. 65 Squadron of the RAF at the time.  Lehmann was the first of an eventual 12 victories for Kindley. 

Overall the build went pretty smooth.  I really like the Misterkit paints.  If you are planning a WWI aircraft build in the future I highly recommend them.  As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest   

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Eduard Albatros DVa Complete
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 14:24 »
A Few more pictures!

Ernest

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 15:00 »
Ernest- fantastic build. I really admire people who can make such rigging, and make it look that good my friend.
The only reservations i have about the wash around the service hatches on the covling.
Did you seal the paint with gloss before the wash?
Other than that- perfect! ;)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 18:12 »
Hello Ernest,

Very nice!  And so very fast!  It seems to take me forever to get a project finished and they rarely come out as nice as your Albatros!

Congratulations - go have a beer and relax so us slow pokes have a chance to catch up!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb , 2010, 23:37 »
Very sweet
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 00:51 »
Hi Siara, thanks for the comments.  Rigging WWI bi-planes can be a test of patience.  I use the same gauge invisible thread that I make antennas with for WWII aircraft.  It is strong, takes super glue well and if you have a bit of slack in a line you can pass a heated xacto blade clost to it to make the tighten up the line.  I was trying out one of the ready made water washes on this aircraft.  As your experienced eye caught, I had trouble controlling the wash, even though the model recieved two good coats of Future before the wash was applied.  I think water washes have too much surface tension, and I should have added a couple of drops of dishwashing fluid to combat that.  I could go back and clean up the cowling area, and just might do that, but this build was more of a test project for the MisterKit paint and the Warpigs wash; so it won't be being entered in any contests.  It is good to have a fellow modeller of your skill and experience point such things out however, as it gives me feedback as to what contest judges do look at.

Thanks my friend!
Ernest

Ernest- fantastic build. I really admire people who can make such rigging, and make it look that good my friend.
The only reservations i have about the wash around the service hatches on the covling.
Did you seal the paint with gloss before the wash?
Other than that- perfect! ;)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 00:57 »
Thanks Bill!  One of the reasons I enjoy building the Eduard WWI planes is that they are so simple.  This was one of the "ProfiPack" kits, but the only thing that seperated it from the "Weekend Edition" kits was the inclusion of some PE frets and more decal options.  The kits are quick little builds and I use them to "recharge my batteries" between more involved projects such as the interior builds I'm working on.  I am very fortunate that my current job gives me a fair amount of free time to devote to my hobbys, so I am able to put in alot of time "at the bench". 

Thank you again,
Ernest

Hello Ernest,

Very nice!  And so very fast!  It seems to take me forever to get a project finished and they rarely come out as nice as your Albatros!

Congratulations - go have a beer and relax so us slow pokes have a chance to catch up!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #7 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 00:57 »
Very sweet

Thanks Rokket!

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 16:51 »
There's a railroader's line called EZY-line, it's stretchy (they say 7x before it breaks). I played with some for rigging the uboat, but went thread. The idea is to CA one end, stretch taught, hold and CA. It's very cool stuff, comes in 2 diameters and white or black I think, takes paint OK. Expensive, but could be good for the future. NOT that you need to change your rigging, it's great!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 05:12 »
Something to keep in mind as a future buy!

Ernest

There's a railroader's line called EZY-line, it's stretchy (they say 7x before it breaks). I played with some for rigging the uboat, but went thread. The idea is to CA one end, stretch taught, hold and CA. It's very cool stuff, comes in 2 diameters and white or black I think, takes paint OK. Expensive, but could be good for the future. NOT that you need to change your rigging, it's great!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 14:54 »
Ernest,
Is the prop wood? If not you did a really great job on it. Great build by the way!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #11 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 01:26 »
Thank you Wildspear!  The prop is plastic; I painted it using the techinque I use to simulate wood, which I posted in the technique section, with one variation.  To give the prop a laminated wood effect, I dipped a 000 brush in turpentine and carefully brushed away most of the top coat of oil paint until I got a lighter textured color.  The prop then got three coats of Future after drying. 

Thanks again,
Ernest

Ernest,
Is the prop wood? If not you did a really great job on it. Great build by the way!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb , 2010, 01:36 »
nice work, and nice to know the tip works in the right hands! Thanks, and again, beautiful.