Author Topic: Trumpeter build as U-371  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Re: Trumpeter build as U-371
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug , 2019, 16:22 »

Wanted to get started on the piping details but I thought first, it might be a good idea to get the deck plates at least roughed in so that I would know my workable space.

I had found this decking from Eduard a while back as I was completely dissatisfied with Trumpeters attempt. I think it scales out around a foot thick. Plus, it has the tread pattern of the museum decking, not the original (thanks for doing all that in depth research Trumpeter).

I have found differing information but one source I found said that the engine room and I believe the E-Motor section had the diamond tread pattern deck. I believe (I don't have it in front of me) the areas in front of the torpedo tubes and the Control room have the dimpled type tread pattern. In fact, if you look at photos of U-995's control room, in the aft Stbd. corner, over the bilge valves there is an original section of plating that was used as a step. I guess it was to be able to reach some valves. It has that square dimple pattern. Eduard also had that pattern available.

I trimmed it out with Evergreen angle. came out ok I think.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug , 2019, 08:04 »
Very Nice work and Thanks for sharing. 

Later Tim

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: 29 Aug , 2019, 23:41 »
Good work Katuna...
unfortunately my wife died, brain cancer did not give her a chance ... it will take some time before I want to take up the model again ... in the meantime I follow you all and greet you ...
Filippo

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug , 2019, 00:26 »
My condolences to you and your family.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug , 2019, 06:10 »
Filippo   
OMG   Sorry to hear this. Thoughts and Prayers to you and your Family. 

Later Tim

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #35 on: 30 Aug , 2019, 07:36 »
Filppo - So very, very sorry for your loss. All of our prayers and thoughts go to you. We will be here when you are ready.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug , 2019, 08:10 »

Just a little progress last night. I narrowed the aft end of the forward decking so that I could add in a taper to the main walkway. Of course Trumpeter did not angle the engines like they should have so I will fake it a bit. This material is so hard to work with given how thin it is. It is so easy to accidently bend it. It's paper thin. Still need to add the joint lines.

Somehow my crew have already managed to spill something on the deck.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug , 2019, 15:47 »
Hello Filippo,

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Best regards,

Dougie

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #38 on: 24 Sep , 2019, 08:42 »
After almost a month of no activity, I was finally able to sit down for a few hours and make a little progress. I've been thrashing on my father in laws hot rod to get it finished (my top priority) as well as a paint job on a 1/8 scale RC Corsair for a buddy of mine. No rest for the wicked.

You know, some days I question why I started down the path I chose to take with this kit! My eyes and fingers don't work like they used to. Back in the 90's I was very heavy into model railroading in HO scale. I could pull all-nighters if I got wrapped up in something, and that was at 1/87 scale. Now, I have magnifying glasses, magnifying lights, bright overhead lighting...I STILL can't see what I'm doing. When I can see, my fingers won't do what I tell them to. But I digress...

Made up some frame ribs for the forward part on the compartment. I also made up the upright supports for the deck plates. In designing them I took a little from here, a little from there. are they accurate? Maybe, maybe not but, they're a damn sight better than what 'ol Trumpy provided so I'm happy.

There are additional supports that go in the middle of the main walkway but I just have everything dry fitted at the moment and they wouldn't all cooperate for the camera. I just need to make one more for the aftmost support. I also need to add in some cross bracing, especially on the forward uprights. The decking is just sitting on top for the pics. Still need to square up some things. I need to remake the main walkway as well. I don't like the extreme taper I put on it. Much to dramatic. I need to trim it down to nearly parallel.

Then it's on to piping!  >:( Why oh why?!?
« Last Edit: 24 Sep , 2019, 08:44 by Katuna »

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #39 on: 05 Dec , 2019, 08:49 »

Wow, its been a while. I finally had a few minutes to sit down on Sun. and continue with the deckplates. I had made up the majority of the upright supports and I secured the pieces located over the waste oil tank into place. It's my best guess as to the layout of the supports given the limited literature. It seems as though there should be a support in the center but there are 2 pairs of valves on top of the tank with stem risers and another support would interfere with that.

I think that I may be overthinking a lot of this build.

I also remade the central part of the walkway. I had tapered it to try and give the image of the engines angled inward aft. This didn't work as I had hoped. Also, while studying some drawings, I found that there is a dogleg in the walkway on either side just aft of the main engine block. I had extra material fortunately so I made a new walkway. I'm much happier with this configuration. 

That's all I managed to get done for now. I'm trying to make a decent copy of the oil sump as Trumpeter only has one. My attempts with Miliput in a Blue Stuff mold are iffy at best. Out of three I have one that is salvageable. Core shift is the main problem. I think I may try a silicone mold with liquid resin for future attempts. I need a bunch of compressed air tanks!

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: 05 Dec , 2019, 23:18 »
Hi Katuna,

I am not yet ready to resume modeling, the loss of my wife is still a too recent wound ... it will take some time to reorganize my life.
However I follow with great interest the building reports on the Trumpeter's U552, especially your one... a question: can you put the Eduard's deck plating link: I would like to buy it too ...
Best wishes.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: 05 Dec , 2019, 23:18 »

Hi Katuna
I am not yet ready to resume modeling, the loss of my wife is still too recent a wound ... it will take some time to reorganize my life.
However I follow with great interest the construction reports on the Trumpeter U552, especially your ... a question: you can put the Eduard deck plating link: I would like to buy it too ...
Best wishes.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: 05 Dec , 2019, 23:19 »

Hi Katuna,
I am not yet ready to resume modeling, the loss of my wife is still too recent a wound ... it will take some time to reorganize my life.
However I follow with great interest the construction reports on the Trumpeter U552, especially your ... a question: you can put the Eduard deck plating link: I would like to buy it too ...
Best wishes.
Filippo

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #43 on: 06 Dec , 2019, 09:30 »

Filippo - Only time can heal your wounds. I'm happy that you are interested in my build. I'm quite honored by that, given your great skill level.

Here is the link for the Eduard Big Ed set. You can also get each fret separately.

https://www.eduard.com/ships-and-submarines/other/dkm-u-boat-viic-u-552-1-48.html?cur=2

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #44 on: 06 Feb , 2020, 08:46 »

Well it's been awhile since I've had anything to post. This kit will take it out of you, especially if you're superdetailing. Our nephew got me an old Monogram Patton tank for Christmas so I thought I'd knock it together over a weekend for a change of scenery. Wrong!! This thing was very toy-like and, after a while I realized it was originally designed to go along with your little green army men when you were a kid. I've learned a lot of new techniques in the last few weeks.

Here's a couple pics for giggles. I'm fairly happy with it. Now it's back to the salt mines of U-371