Author Topic: Trumpeter build as U-371  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Trumpeter build as U-371
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun , 2019, 13:26 »
Hi Katuna and Fillipo
That's a stunning super detail.
I would love to see some high res too.

Does he have a build online?
Cheers
« Last Edit: 12 Jun , 2019, 13:28 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun , 2019, 23:40 »
Hi Katuna and Raymic,
the link to the site of U-96 Hachette building is this:
[size=78%]http://www.mmodell.de/forum/index.php/Thread/12223-Hachette-U-96-Gemeinschaftsbaubericht/?pageNo=1[/size]
but first a tip: if you are weak of heart do not look, because the skill of David and the beauty of his model could make you want to leave your building ...
Cheers
Filippo

P.S. : to see the images you have to register to the site before...

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun , 2019, 04:24 »
Hi Fillipo

I hope all is OK with your wife?

Is this build David Geister's?

It is frustrating as the Site hasn't approved me yet so I cant see his great pics.
Do you have high res ones or can you download them from the site for us and share?

CORRECTION JUST BEEN APPROVED

cheers
Raymic
« Last Edit: 15 Jun , 2019, 04:29 by Raymic1 »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun , 2019, 08:17 »
Hi Raymic, yes, David Geister is the masterpiece author...
The resolution of the site’s photos is that one of the photos that I posted...
I hope that David will send to me other photos in higher resolution...if so I will share them with you...
Cheers

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun , 2019, 14:59 »
Thanks Fillipo. High res would be great.

Ps Its a shame David only built the Hacette one as its only the Engine room and the Control room.
It would be great to see him build all 7 zones with his great detailing.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 12:08 »

Filippo - I just went through al of the picture of David's build. I think I need a shovel to pick my jaw up off of the floor! Unbelievable detail. Too bad he isn't applying that to the Trumpeter model, although we don't need the competition. Absolutely brilliant.

I need to find a way to model those valve handle housings. I tried but I need to come up with something different.
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 15:48 »
Hi Katuna
David said he molded his.
I made my valve to see how it would go. Very time consuming.
Im going to look at molding and maybe even by a 3d printer to give it a go

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 23:27 »
Hi Katuna and Raymic,
it isn't too much difficult to build the valves by scratch using plasticard: it's only takes a long time and patience...
Raymic's first attempt seems very good to me...
Keep it up...
 :) :) :)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun , 2019, 14:00 »

Raymic - That valve assembly is fantastic! Can I subcontract you to build all my valves  ;D ?

I found these on Shapeways. Not a bad price, especially for Shapeways ($8.89 USD for 20). Unfortunately they are only in 6". Would love some in 2",3" and 4".

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #24 on: 09 Aug , 2019, 16:13 »

Well, it's been several weeks since I've been able to get back to the bench. Life runs you over when you're not looking sometimes. Anyway, I finally feel like I've gotten a proper start to this build. I sat down and put the engine together. I was surprised that there was considerably less profanity than I had anticipated. I only broke one piece of the delicate piping (which was easily repaired) and somehow I only dropped one part. I was a larger piece of piping so the carpet monster didn't have a chance to haul it back to his lair before I could find it.

It actually goes together reasonably well. The one thing I was really disappointed in however were the injectors. I can't understand why manufactures insist on including photo etch where there doesn't need to be PE. It would have gone together so much nicer if the top of the injector would have just had the flange detail cast in. As it is, the sprue connection is right where the PE goes and getting a square surface is nearly impossible (for my wonky eyes anyway). Oh well, a little Mr. Surfacer and it will look fine I'm sure.

I made a neat little stand for it too since it doesn't sit flat on the bench. Tried a few new weathering products while I was at it. Yeah, I'm going to need to practice my technique a bit more before I put any on the model.

Now it's time to get a little more detail on there. Hopefully I can get a couple hours this weekend.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug , 2019, 07:57 »

Got a few minutes to sneak away last night. This came out better than I had hoped.

I guess I have low expectations. It wasn't exactly rocket surgery.  :P

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug , 2019, 08:31 »
A little (and I mean LITTLE!) more detail. My eyes aren't what they used to be and my fingers are even worse. It was loads of fun trying to clean the sprue connection points. Thank goodness they were on the bottom.

Hey, I hit 100 posts! A milestone.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug , 2019, 10:02 by Katuna »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug , 2019, 18:58 »
Looks great Katuna.

Ref Nuts. I have tried them all

Best are
1. Meng. Plastic so easy to attach
2. Verlinden Contactless. No longer around unfortunately
3. AM-Works contactless. 3 types. 1 is LW35027.  No filing......

All 3 are awesome

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug , 2019, 08:07 »
Those are great. Why is it when you try and search something like that, you just get the same 3 or 4 manufactures. I've never seen the PE nut/bolt sets. The ones I used are Tichy Train Group. I wanted the 3 dimensional effect in such a prominent area. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug , 2019, 08:47 »

Well, the engine is basically finished. With the exception of a few little details it's ready for paint (Note the two broken off pipes). Making the missing arm for the lubricator just about put me over the edge. I had drilled a piece of 0.5mm plastic rod for the rocker arm connection and inserted a piece of brass wire. When cutting the wire to length, I cupped it in my hand and snip, somehow it found an opening and went supersonic. A simple piece of bent brass wire replaced it but it proved even more of a challenge. An hour of frustration for one little piece that only a handful of people would ever notice if it were missing. Such is the game we play.

And while I'm grumbling, why is it that whenever you search everywhere for a photo of something you need to scratch build, you can't find anything other than partial, obstructed views? Then, when you build it to your best guess, you immediately find a perfectly clear image and find you did it wrong? Such was the flywheel/vibration dampener. Another Trumpeter omission. Found afterwards it should have 12 stiffening gussets like a clock, not six. Hells bells!  >:(

I think rather than the usual green, I'm going to go with a light gray with a greenish tone. I looked at several paint charts before going to the hobby shop and I settled on Tamiya IJN gray. However, upon getting it home and under different light, it's too much of a neutral gray. I could mix it with some green I suppose but I may go back and get one of the other colors I looked at and thought was too green.

Now onto mounting the oil coolers (need to cast a copy) and making the deckplate supports. I'm never going to finish this thing...