Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572650 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
yes, love the Lion
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
NZSnowman
Your interest in XXI is understandable, she is the "mother" of the modern submarines. In the end of the 50s we modernized one of our VIICs KNM Kya  ex U926.
The conningtower was streamlined and became a "sail". Otherwise our VIICs were kept pretty much the same throughout their life as "frontline" subs in the norwegian navy.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, the Type XXIII was it the KNM Knerter??? Just wonder were able to get aboard and have a look around?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Working and seeing the inside a Type XXI after the Type VII's, must be like driver a model 'T' then going to a ferrari;  Many things similar but everything different  ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore, the Type XXIII was it the KNM Knerter??? Just wonder were able to get aboard and have a look around?
As you know KNM Knerten  ex U4706 was a XXIII type delivered January 1945 and as such a very modern submarine. However she was a coastal sub and as such not very fit for our need. Moreover some parts were removed and we planned to use her for research. However she had a fire  and a small batteryexplosion so she was scrapped and sold in 1953. I was never onboard.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Working and seeing the inside a Type XXI after the Type VII's, must be like driver a model 'T' then going to a ferrari;  Many things similar but everything different  ;D
I believe so, but even then the VIICs as at the end of the war, equipped with snort, were beautiful boats with well proven technique, moreover they were considerable more comfortable acommodationwise than our british built subs. To me, it was a big change beeing educated on british submarines to run a german.The biggest differences between the british and german subs at that time, were apart from the snortmast, the operation of  the vents and valves. The british were hydraulic operated and the germans handoperated by levers and rods.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore -
I have a question for you about the KNM Kaura - when standing topside on deck, looking down to the torpedo loading hatches, were there bulkheads, perhaps with limber holes, boxing in the hatch and well, or was it open framework? Do you have any pics of that area of the ship?
I found this picture of the White Ensign Models brass PE set, but would like to know if the loading well on Kaura looked like that.
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/images/wembrass/wempe7211.jpg
Also, was the snort well boxed in as well, or was there just framework supporting the deck around the snort.
Thanks!
Christopher
Christopher
I have been pondering upon your question for a few days and here is my pure guess and migth not be even a clever one as I never have seen the thing. The hatch was sometimes used to take onboard provision even from supplysubs at sea if weather permitted. You would always have some swells causing the sub to roll. From the picture below you see a guy loading a bunch of tincans and indeed there is a sort of casingside forming a box around the hatchopening. If this poor guy would loose one of these tincans it would immediately roll on on the pressurehulls curved surface and disappear in the casing. It would be almost impossible to get hold of at sea. A free rolling tincan in the casing would be the last thing you would have in a sub, the noise would be a killer.
The other picture has a detail while loading a torpedo thru the same hatch. To me it looks like a box that in this case is attached to the hatch and thus stay away from the torpedo loading. This box would`t need to match any frames as it has nothing to do with strengthening. It`s pure guesswork from my side. What do you think?
Tore

TopherVIIC

Tore-
THAT is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! And I think your description about what could happen if something got loose in the area between the working deck casing and the pressure hull would be absolutely correct.
I have heard of cases where a tool like a hammer or spanner got loose between the casing during a crash dive. That would be disastrous!
That picture of the torp loading hatch for U-604 has a limbered bulkhead similar to the one for the cook's loading hatch - and could very well be what I need to put around the torp loading hatch on my boat.
I am surprised that there would not be a way for a crewman to get down inside that section of the boat while at sea. There are so many air lines that run over the outer surface of the pressure hull, I would think access to them would be important, but a thin sheet metal bulkhead that would limit "spillage" would make sense.
Thanks for continuing to think about my quandary.
I worked on a few more frames in the forward section, put in my deck stowage box and got my ancher chain and hawser tube in, and am finally laying in the lube lines for the torp gear inside the tauchzelle 5. I will post pics this afternoon.
Thanks again!
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Moreover some parts were removed ...
Tore

This is interesting! As currently U-995 has a Type XXIII periscope. Do you guys use the periscope from the Type XXIII before scrapping her?

Offline tore

• Tore
Christopher
Good to hear I have put you on a track. Crawling around in the casing while at sea would be a bit risky. You are trapped in a confined space which even in moderate weather is occasionly submerged without beeing able to move very much. I have been crawling around in the area and as a fairly skinny guy I could manage. I would never send a heavy guy down he could be stuck. But you are rigth, it`s a lot of stuff  there like greaselines which need to be looked after.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Moreover some parts were removed ...
Tore

This is interesting! As currently U-995 has a Type XXIII periscope. Do you guys use the periscope from the Type XXIII before scrapping her?
To my knowledge no. All our VIICs including Kaura (U 995) had a fairly advanced attackperiscope as can be seen on the picture below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2012, 12:55 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Sorry Tore :-[ I was talking about the sky periscope. The sky periscope in the control room is different from the standard sky periscope for the Type VIIC.

Offline tore

• Tore
Sorry Tore :-[ I was talking about the sky periscope. The sky periscope in the control room is different from the standard sky periscope for the Type VIIC.

Well that scope was a straigth forward scope as you see on the picture below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, that is correct! The picture of the scope in your post, is of a type used for on the Type VII's. However the currently scope, is of a type used for on the Type XXIII :(

The currently scope on U-995

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Christopher
Good to hear I have put you on a track. Crawling around in the casing while at sea would be a bit risky. You are trapped in a confined space which even in moderate weather is occasionly submerged without beeing able to move very much. I have been crawling around in the area and as a fairly skinny guy I could manage. I would never send a heavy guy down he could be stuck. But you are rigth, it`s a lot of stuff  there like greaselines which need to be looked after.
Tore
Tore

By any chance do you have any photographs that you are willing to share of this area between the pressure hull and deck, showing the pipings etc...?

I would found any photographs extremely useful, for my drawing!