Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 574216 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
and a nice presentation, even a painting behind!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
and a nice presentation, even a painting behind!
Thanks Rokket, but it`s not so much compare to what I see in this forum. I`m busy  planning and making the displaycase. It`s a challenge to be able to show all the details you put into the model and proper ligths are some of the clues. I`ll use the LED technique and a glasscase without frames and use the weekend to figure out the optimal place for the LEDstrip in the case.
tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Hmmm...I posted about that lovely build yesterday, but it's not here...I also like the presentation with the painting in the bg.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
Floor covering.
On another thread the question of floorplates and covering came up.I think I a have a wartime picture showing one way of eliminating the floorplate sound. As you can see it looks like pieces of woven mats in the controlroom.
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Feb , 2012, 05:00 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
Hmmm...I posted about that lovely build yesterday, but it's not here...I also like the presentation with the painting in the bg.
I`m posting the pencildrawing made by me of KNM Kaura patrolling in northern Norway. The whole " navy"corner includig the glass showcase with LED ligths shall be ready by tomorrow and I`ll post a new picture for you by then if you are interested.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
While waiting for the showcase to turn up, I`ll post a few pictures of two of my models.
The sub is of course KNM Kaura and the old man of war made of wooden planks is the 66 guns ship The Norwegian Lion.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
KNM Kaura  U 995 Balkongerat/ Gruppenhorchgerat
Some confusion exsist as to if this was installed originally on U 995. It to my opinion it was not and KNM Kaura was not fitted with Gruppenhorchgerat when she was a "frontline" sub in the norwegian navy 1953-1957, She was taken out of service in 1962 and the last years before that she served as a trainingboat.  She was handed over to the germans October 1965 an undated picture of her hanging in the big floatingcranes in Kiel shows her in the Norwegian version with Gruppenhorchgerat (see below). Another picture shows her in the Norwegian version at Laboe on the concretebeds with doors in the pressurehull and Gruppenhorchgerat (see below) and then another picture dated March 13. 1972 she is hanging in the floatingcranes with wintergarten tower and doors cut in the pressurehull without Gruppenhorchgerat. I presume she had for some reason been fitted with Gruppenhorchgerat between 1957 and 1965. Thus she wasn`t equipped with this device originally.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Feb , 2012, 12:53 by tore »

TopherVIIC

Tore -
Your model of the Norwegian Lion looks outstanding! Well done Sir! And Your KNM Kaura looks just as proud beside her! Years ago I helped a buddy of mine rig the tallship USS Constitution. She was a board-by-board model, and the rigging was complete. I enjoyed helping on her, and would one day like to build a tallship.

Offline tore

• Tore
Floodgates
Reverting to my last post you migth se another sligtly confusing detail. It is well known that the floodgates are not symetrically arranged on the VIICs. The most significant example is perhaps the utmost forward bowfloodgates. There are two on the stb side and three on the port see (picture below). Revell has not included that in their kits. U 995 (and KNM Kaura) had this standard pattern, however if you look at the early picture from Kiel when she is handed over hanging in the crane in the norwegian version, she all of a sudden got three floodgates on stb side. She has all the time got three stb floodgates at Laboe.
That`s a puzzle.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore -
Your model of the Norwegian Lion looks outstanding! Well done Sir! And Your KNM Kaura looks just as proud beside her! Years ago I helped a buddy of mine rig the tallship USS Constitution. She was a board-by-board model, and the rigging was complete. I enjoyed helping on her, and would one day like to build a tallship.
Thanks Christopher .
I remember the rigging was a challenge as well. But you made most of the accessories by hand  fi turning the ships bell of brass. We didn`t have PE sets in those days.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
Well, finally my display case has arrived I have just finished the istallation of the LED ligth and apart from the basplate of mahogany which I shall make later, the model of KNM Kaura is complete . This is my favourite way of displaying models, even my modest model looks OK.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Some confusion exsist as to if this was installed originally on U 995. It to my opinion it was not and KNM Kaura was not fitted with Gruppenhorchgerat when she was a "frontline" sub in the norwegian navy 1953-1957, She was taken out of service in 1962 and the last years before that she served as a trainingboat.  She was handed over to the germans October 1965 an undated picture of her hanging in the big floatingcranes in Kiel shows her in the Norwegian version with Gruppenhorchgerat (see below). Another picture shows her in the Norwegian version at Laboe on the concretebeds with doors in the pressurehull and Gruppenhorchgerat (see below) and then another picture dated March 13. 1972 she is hanging in the floatingcranes with wintergarten tower and doors cut in the pressurehull without Gruppenhorchgerat. I presume she had for some reason been fitted with Gruppenhorchgerat between 1957 and 1965. Thus she wasn`t equipped with this device originally.
Tore

Tore, extremely interesting about the Balkongerat on U-995. It has been a very special part of the U-boat for me as U-1308 had one. I been researching this area of the boat for the last three years. There have been numerous things about the Balkongerat on U-995 that I could not make sense of. I have study the other Balkongerat's on the other U-boat and U-995 Balkongerat is the odd one out.

I have study the differences between the changes over to the Type XXI from the Type VIIC/41. By also studying the Type XXI it have help me understand better the Type VIIC/41. A lot of the late war technologies and equipment for the Type VIIC/41 came from the Type XXI research. From this also I have learn a lot about the war late u-boat.

I underearth some new information this summer about the Balkongerat which also made no sense to me until today after reading this above. I think I am now starting to understand the Balkongerat on the Type VIIC/41. I can feel the start of a new research article coming soon  ;D

Thanks for the information!!!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It made my day!!!!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Tore, I forgot to ask before, were you able to get into a Type XXI, to have a look around?

Offline tore

• Tore
Tore

Tore, extremely interesting about the Balkongerat on U-995. It has been a very special part of the U-boat for me as U-1308 had one. I been researching this area of the boat for the last three years. There have been numerous things about the Balkongerat on U-995 that I could not make sense of. I have study the other Balkongerat's on the other U-boat and U-995 Balkongerat is the odd one out.

I have study the differences between the changes over to the Type XXI from the Type VIIC/41. By also studying the Type XXI it have help me understand better the Type VIIC/41. A lot of the late war technologies and equipment for the Type VIIC/41 came from the Type XXI research. From this also I have learn a lot about the war late u-boat.

I underearth some new information this summer about the Balkongerat which also made no sense to me until today after reading this above. I think I am now starting to understand the Balkongerat on the Type VIIC/41. I can feel the start of a new research article coming soon  ;D

Thanks for the information!!!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It made my day!!!!

I`m happy you could use the info.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
XII Gruppenhorchgerat.
We only had VIIC, VIIC/41 and one XIII in our service. I`m only familiar of the two types of VIICs. Sorry I don`t know anything about XXI. I have only seen it in Bremerhaven, Germany.
Tore