Author Topic: Special Navy Type IIA  (Read 7395 times)

snipersmudge

Special Navy Type IIA
« on: 15 Nov , 2010, 05:52 »
Hi all, just discovered this wonderful source of info and thought I would post my current project. Modified using plastic card lots of filler and brass & plastic rod. This was all done before I discovered this forum and AMP products!

I am currently in the process of painting the model and have just finished painting some crew figures for it.

So far it's been a most enjoyable build. Weathering will be next and this leads me to a question, was the deck wood or metal or a mixture of the two?
cheers
Pete

TRM

Re: Special Navy Type IIA
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov , 2010, 12:42 »
Hello Pete, Welcome!  Looks like you are off to a great start.  Looking forward to you progress.  As for the deck question,  did you read through http://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf  ?  I am not to "up" on the fittings of the Type IIA, but with the Wolf Pack article and the guys on board here, you will get to your answer.

Cheers!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 08:07 »
Hi Pete,

Your model is coming along nicely. On the Type II deck,most of the deck was wood. But the sections at the bow and stern were metal. The deck colours can be found on P42 of the Wolf Pack.

Cheers,

Dougie

snipersmudge

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 14:56 »
Thanks guys for the info most helpful. Here is some more progress on the weathering. mostly using vallejo colours and sponges to get a random look plus oils for fading and rust

Pete

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 02:12 »
Your weathering is excellent, as are your figures! The detail brass work is also excellent! Keep the pix coming.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

snipersmudge

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 12:48 »
Thanks Rokket glad you like it. I have now finished the U-boat and I am really pleased with the finished result. The only bit I was worried about was the rigging but in the end this went without a hitch! The only thing left to add is an AMP flag when it arrives. The scum line was added using tamiya clear green and a drop of flat earth followed by a light overspray of grey to tone the effect down. Everything else was painted using vallejo colours. The crew figures really enhance the model and give it a sense of scale.

Cheers
Pete

http://petesmodelworld.blogspot.com/

TRM

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 14:45 »
Nicely done Pete!  Great job on your completion! 

Cheers!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov , 2010, 22:35 »
Hi Pete

The model looks GREAT! I love the figures, it gives a real scale to the model.

Simon

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 01:27 »
FANTASTIC model, the building ant the weathering are pro. Very realistic !!!

I like your IIA a lot. The right style...

Cheers Pete,
Pepper.

On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov , 2010, 10:31 »
Welcome and beautiful work Pete.  The entire build is very well done; the weathering and figures are especially notable for their excellence.  What did you use for the insulators if I may ask?

Cheers,
Ernest

snipersmudge

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov , 2010, 00:06 »
Many thanks for your positive comments, this is only my second sub model in this scale. The previous model being ICM,s 1/72nd Seehound! a slightly smaller model for sure. Ernest I built the isolators up using micro krystal klear then painted them a brown colour.
Pete

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #11 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 00:35 »
Good thinking on insulators, clever! Can you tell us more about figures? Oh, and congrats!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz