Re: U-673
« Reply #105 on: 24 Sep , 2011, 03:55 »
Woooooooow, i love it! Let the sunderlands come... ;D

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #106 on: 25 Sep , 2011, 10:17 »
CAPCON 2011 has come and gone, and U-673 took a very close 2nd place behind a brilliantly-done Type IIB (a modified Type IIA).   ;D

A bit sad about not walking away with top honours, but glad I was able to finish her and hear some great "fly on the wall" comments about her.   If I was going to place 2nd against anyone, I'm glad it was the person who made the Type IIB.  We both were complimenting each other on fine works!  LOL
And I've GOT to find out how he did such an awesome weathering job on it... OMG.

I'll try to collect the pictures soon... I had to rely on others with GOOD cameras this weekend.

Onwards and upwards!   hehehe

:)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #107 on: 25 Sep , 2011, 13:47 »
HURRAH!  ;D

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 25 Sep , 2011, 20:09 »
Beautiful boat Glenn!  Thank you for posting your building process and all the great tips and links to the products you used to create your masterpiece.  You should be very proud of it!
Regards,
Brian

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #109 on: 26 Sep , 2011, 01:30 »
I echo Brian's words! And 1-2-3 is nothing to sneeze at, so consider it all good. especially if you learn some new stuff!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Last Edit: 26 Sep , 2011, 11:09 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #111 on: 26 Sep , 2011, 13:13 »
Great pictrues!!!!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #112 on: 28 Sep , 2011, 02:46 »
looks really lovely, glad you've got them of her "in action"
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 vs. U-9
« Reply #113 on: 28 Sep , 2011, 09:51 »
Here is the Type IIB U-boot that I was up against in my CAPCON category... and which took top honours.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=829.0

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #114 on: 29 Sep , 2011, 08:53 »
Your boat turned out beautiful Glenn, well done and congrats with your second place on capcon  ;)

Karel

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 turnbuckles
« Reply #115 on: 30 Sep , 2011, 11:37 »
Okay, time to play "catch up" with some of the details about the build.
Sorry for the delay, I was scrambling to finish the boat for our contest, and had no time to do write-ups... but I DID take pics!

Turnbuckles are used to attach the antenna lines to the railing brackets.

Here is a turnbuckle I ended up making:

I used a 0.030" square piece of Plastruct rod, cut to 0.300" long and drilled in both ends with a #80 drillbit. For the wire ends I used 0.008" brass wire, wrapped around a 0.035 wire to make the loop. Then I cut the loop to leave a small gap, and then bent the loop to make the final shape. After cutting the straight wire to length, I used CA to glue a loop in each end of the plastic square rod.

« Last Edit: 30 Sep , 2011, 13:49 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 insulators
« Reply #116 on: 30 Sep , 2011, 11:47 »
On each antenna wire there are several insulators in a row.  While there have been many different attempts to create the best looking insulators using brass, beads, etc., I find the best pieces are the OEM plastic insulators included in the kit.  These are, of course, molded together in groups of 2 or 3 and must be cut apart and modified.  TRY not to let these lil blighters go flinging into your shag rug... chances are you'll never find them again!

After you cut apart the insulator group, cut off any additional "rings" or "eyelets" that are molded onto an individual insulator.  (HINT: on insultor groups, the end insulators have eyelets). What you want to end up with is the most basic insulator "bead".   Revell has already molded lengthwise grooves on 2 opposing sides of the insulator, so all you have to do is cut/file 2 more lengthwise grooves on the perpendicular sides.  When finished, you'll have an insulator with 4 lengthwise grooves at 90
« Last Edit: 30 Sep , 2011, 13:55 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 rigging
« Reply #117 on: 30 Sep , 2011, 11:57 »
Now that I had most of the rigging pieces ready (including some narrow & short styrene tabs to connect to the railing brackets), I was ready to go.

I used EZ Line 0.003" elastic line to simulate the long lengths of antenna wire.  This is awesome stuff, and it stretches up to 7x its slack length (so they say).  It cements easily with CA glue, and accepts paint... more on that later.

I measured and cut EZ Line to the appropriate lengths, and connected the insulator groups.   You'll see in the pictures that things attach in a particular order.
For example here is how one stern antenna line is connected: 
   Railing bracket --> flat tab --> turnbuckle --> antenna wire --> insulator group --> long antenna wire --> insulator group --> antenna wire THRU tripod support and into hole in stern deck.

« Last Edit: 30 Sep , 2011, 12:16 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 side railing ropes
« Reply #118 on: 30 Sep , 2011, 11:59 »
I also used EZ Line for the ropes between the fore & aft side railings.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-673 bow diving plane tensioner wires
« Reply #119 on: 30 Sep , 2011, 12:04 »
For the bow diving plane tensioner wires...

I had already mounted mounting brackets to the forward hull, on the forward part of the exposed pressure hull.

To make the spring-loaded tensioners, I scratchbuilt them nearly the same as the turnbuckles.
However, I used 0.030" round plastic rod (instead of square), and I added closed loops (not open loops) to each end.  
(The closed loops were from some railroad detail parts.)

I attached the tensioners directly to the hull mounting brackets, then again used EZ Line for the wire.

« Last Edit: 30 Sep , 2011, 12:18 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca