Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 44776 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: My U-69
« Reply #90 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 02:26 »
I missed the Sam Adams post, small brain - years ago my mate sent some to me, now it's brewed here under license! Mmmmm tasty. Vodka - glass bottles aren't easy to work with for p-hulls. I'm assuming you keep yours in the freezer? (vodka, not p-hull).

Waiting for more pix.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #91 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 04:08 »
No worries!  Only place to keep the Vodka!  Interesting how a small microbrew turned into a global powerhouse. 

Pics soon....

Cheers!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 22 Oct , 2010, 07:01 »
Wink, when they brew the Sam Adams there under license, is it the same?

I found that when they first started importing Foster's here, it was pretty good.  But after they found how popular it was, after a couple of years they started to brew it here under license.  It wasn't the same as the original so I stopped drinking it.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: 23 Oct , 2010, 16:54 »
The Sammies are just as good, the brewery here is local and has a good rep. But I know what you mean. yes, very interesting on the Sam growth. But I think it's a combo of good beer (purity law and all that), wide range, people wanting more than Bud, and marketing.

Fosters - I used to drink that with my mate, before living here, to be cool. Turns out Foster is pretty much for export only, and not as "the good stuff" but generic tourist beer! No one drinks it, hard to find. They make such good beer here, all kinds. I don't know if you can get the good stuff there.

TRM

« Reply #94 on: 24 Oct , 2010, 19:53 »
Quick update:

Been real busy, side jobs and dances for my girls, birthday parties and we have been puppy sitting for a friend....been trying to steal time away!

Managed a little:
Some internal framing (Thanks Ernest for your hard work on the plans!)

Quick prime job on the P-hull.  Most of the fitting will go on after the install:

First application of interior lower vent framing:

Inside shot:

The little house guest! (Demon seed!) The guest is the one on the right.  Cote!  Mine is the one on the left, Shiloh.  Both are Mini-Australian Shepard.  Shiloh is a tri-color and the ....let's say, tenacious one, is a Blue Merl.  Sure, he looks cute....eats everything and poops!!!!!!!  Get my house back tomorrow! :o

Cheers!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #95 on: 25 Oct , 2010, 00:10 »
Hi TRM, your build is progessing nicely.  The ribs looks fantastic, as does the AMP vents.  The dogs are cute to!  ;D

Ernest

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #96 on: 29 Oct , 2010, 10:46 »
Hi TRM,

Nice ribs...  :D

question : where do i get these vents PE from ? there is nothing on the AMP website (or maybe i missed something), just the PE distributed by WEM...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers !
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

TRM

« Reply #97 on: 29 Oct , 2010, 11:48 »
Pepper-mint, They are from Modelbrass.  Be prepared to wait a little.  My order took about 4 1/2 weeks to get.  Worth it though.  A nice compliment to the AMP set.

Thank you for the kind words Ernest!  The puppy is GONE....house is almost back to normal.  I think my dog is upset to see it go, she has been indifferent the past week!

Cheers!

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #98 on: 30 Oct , 2010, 04:14 »
Thank you TRM  ;)
On the W.bench :

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #99 on: 30 Oct , 2010, 22:24 »
I agree, looking very nice, these details are worth it! Glad the Demon Dog is gone!

TRM

« Reply #100 on: 16 Nov , 2010, 17:55 »
Finally....somewhat progress.  Been working side projects while the money is there and the weather is fine!  Doesn't leave too much time for hobbies :'(.

Anyway....

I finished work on the torpedo doors.  I need some help with something though.....I am unsure about the functions of the inner torpedo tube covers.  Did they open BEFORE the exterior doors and sit behind them, or, did the open after (as I have done, and could easily rectified)? I made the inner cover movable....not sure if it should appear open or closed.  I will stuff a torpedo in it if it remains open....opinions are always welcome. ;D

I was also able to actually connect the two halves....I had to fight with the pressure hull (about a hundred dry fittings, then it doesn't fit! >:(  Finally it came together, after removing some of the interior framing.  I also began the saddle tank extensions, fill, fill, fill,  sand, sand, sand :P

You can see I made some early reference marks to below deck placement.  Any suggestions at this point would be helpful....

Not shown, I have begun to sand the entire hull, AGAIN!  I am removing my rivets that were added after oil canning, in preparation to purchasing the Archer set.  Once I saw what is accomplished with this set,  :o ,I think the time spent putting them back will enhance the project a lot better.

Ohhhhh,  This finally came yesterday:

All the missing vents and then some!
After sanding I will begin to add all the hull fittings from the Modelbrass and Eduard PE set to the hull and saddle tanks and work on some "light" scratch on the pressure hull.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 16 Nov , 2010, 18:19 by TRM »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 16 Nov , 2010, 22:44 »
TRM, I'm not sure, but I think it was NZSnowman (or it could have been Siara) posted a diagram a couple of months ago that showed how the inner tube doors opened. 

Apparently, they connected by a couple of levers to the outer doors (shutters he called them) so that they both opened at the same time, with the round hatch on the tube going in behind the rectangular shutter.

I also read in a book a year or so ago that the doors had to be closed below about 20 meters depth.  Otherwise, the pressure got into the depth-setting mechanism of the torpedo and ruined it.  The torp would then have to be withdrawn from the tube and returned to base to be repaired, or else ejected to just sink to the bottom.

TRM

« Reply #102 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 04:17 »
Thnaks Pat!  Easy enough to remove the round hatch. This means I will need to make a tip to the torpedo.

Cheers!

HA HA HA, just found this while googling torpedos......

In case you are interested, 1/72  found at http://www.caswellplating.com/models/torpedo.html#.

Thinking about it.  Put it on one of those air freshener sensors, so when you walk in the room it will fire a torpedo across the room....dog will love it!
« Last Edit: 17 Nov , 2010, 05:05 by TRM »

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #103 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 10:14 »
Your boat is looking great TRM ! This will be nice shaped - Smelling the ribs from here  ;D

On the W.bench :

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #104 on: 17 Nov , 2010, 11:22 »
Nice work so far!  ;)

Karel